Avengers: Age of Ultron

DisneyFan 2000

Boy was I right in being the minority opinion on this one!
I think your experience may vary on how you experienced the previous movie. The former, to me, was such a waste of space. Nothing memorable really happened except for a bunch of aliens coming down hard on NYC with Loki dressed as a reindeer (and even that was such a blatant cliche that I couldn't help but roll my eyes. How many alien species have attacked NYC so far?). I love Whedon-speak so the constant one-liners didn't bother me as much as the fact that they linked absolutely no thread what-so-ever. So when AoU rolled out, I was pleasantly surprised. We got to spend time with the characters, learn about them, and still have the zany fun the first one delivered.

As for Ultron not being menacing: Seriously guys, has anyone here REALLY been in suspense while watching a Marvel movie? Nothing significant EVER happens (except maybe CA: TWS which packed a few surprise punches) so why would you expect suspense from this villain? His quirks and human-like qualities were great, and Spader gave a fun performance - I still have his "Stark is a disease!" line going through my mind. As far as villains go this is the best Marvel has ever put out. Yes, he's no Joker but he's a few floors of steps up from, well, every other villain thus far. If anything I wish we had more of him, and more time developing some out-of-nowhere plot points (Thor and the magic pond anyone?)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Boy was I right in being the minority opinion on this one!
I think your experience may vary on how you experienced the previous movie. The former, to me, was such a waste of space. Nothing memorable really happened except for a bunch of aliens coming down hard on NYC with Loki dressed as a reindeer (and even that was such a blatant cliche that I couldn't help but roll my eyes. How many alien species have attacked NYC so far?). I love Whedon-speak so the constant one-liners didn't bother me as much as the fact that they linked absolutely no thread what-so-ever. So when AoU rolled out, I was pleasantly surprised. We got to spend time with the characters, learn about them, and still have the zany fun the first one delivered.

As for Ultron not being menacing: Seriously guys, has anyone here REALLY been in suspense while watching a Marvel movie? Nothing significant EVER happens (except maybe CA: TWS which packed a few surprise punches) so why would you expect suspense from this villain? His quirks and human-like qualities were great, and Spader gave a fun performance - I still have his "Stark is a disease!" line going through my mind. As far as villains go this is the best Marvel has ever put out. Yes, he's no Joker but he's a few floors of steps up from, well, every other villain thus far. If anything I wish we had more of him, and more time developing some out-of-nowhere plot points (Thor and the magic pond anyone?)
They have been good popcorn fare.

I almost booked a visit to see a movie for Ultron, but I really don't care to see it until it makes the DVD rounds.

I suspect the fan base won't carry the Marvel Universe on as much as Hollywood hopes it will...and action films and "dark recreations" aren't the ticket. Off topic media is...like Netflix.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Definitely the middle film. It just seemed to plod along to fill time.

The mid-credits scene was way too on the nose and a real disappointment.

May have been on the nose for you but people who are not familiar with all the Marvel movies or comics were confused. I heard lots of people asking who that guy was and what the glove was.

aw14

Just got back from seeing it with my DD (12) and her friend also 12. All of us loved it. Bear in mind that I geek out big time for marvel so I am jaded. With that Saudi thought it adds to the marvel universe and leaves quites few story lines to go.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I find it hard to believe that much of the audience did not at least see the first film. Plenty of people also saw Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yeah, but it's not just about seeing them..

- its been 'see the post credit roll'
- it's 'know how the different films fit in the timeline even though their release time doesn't necessarily match the universe timeline'
- it's getting deeper and deeper

The first film I thought most people could get by knowing the basics about Hulk and Capt America... I mean most people over the age of 30 should at least know the basic premise of them, even if they don't know the origins or their limits. Iron Man has been so prevalent in recent times, he's basically common knowledge. Thor.. we know he's some god with a hammer. That's enough to get you through the first film really. You may not know the origin of the teseract, etc.. but you don't need to. They introduce it's potential enough in the dark energy complex scene at the start of the movie. You don't need to know history to follow Loki along.

This one, required a bit more prior knowledge IMO.
- Infinity stones...
- What is this sceptre...
- All this talk about jarvis...
- All these 'tips' to other films and origin stories without much dialogue to help those who don't know what they are seeing...

I'm not buying into the 'marvel fatigue' hitting now... but the films are getting harder to keep straight. So much interleaving...

Unlike a simple trilogy like BTTF... Indy.. etc where there were common traits repeated, but most didn't require the prior knowledge to follow along. Bond was like that before the recent craig films... which are stretching common threads way too long now making it so you have to watch 3-4 films to follow along.

Matt_Black

No, go ahead and gush. It's awesome that we're getting characters like that in movies with actual budgets. My friend's favorite comic book character is The Vision, and he's been waiting over a quarter of a century for this moment.

216bruce

Saw it twice and really enjoyed it. The only downside was the opening sequence/battle which, to me, looked like a video game. It was as bad and fake-looking as some of the battle scenes in "The Hobbit" films. For me, the best parts were the 'talky' scenes. After a while, the fighting seemed to blur together but I loved the Banner and Nat scenes, the hanging out with the hammer stuff, Barton at home, etc. Those parts were great and what sets these movies apart from a lot of comic book fare. I prefer 'real' fights like those in Winter Soldier with stunts, car chases and smaller scale battling. They just look more real and believable. Looking forward to more Russo brothers directed films in the future.
As an aside, I picked up the 'new' Avengers book and a Secret Wars books on Free Comic Book day. Glad that the movies, so far, have kept away from Ms. Marvel, new Spidey, she-Thor, and others. Just a fuddy-duddy I guess with the old established characters. Excelsior!

Matt_Black

Don't worry about those new characters- they don't last long. Just ask Kyle Rayner, Wally West, Connor Hawke, Ben Reilly, Daniel Ketch, etc....

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Saw it twice and really enjoyed it. The only downside was the opening sequence/battle which, to me, looked like a video game. It was as bad and fake-looking as some of the battle scenes in "The Hobbit" films.
I mentioned this in another thread (or maybe earlier in this thread, I don't remember), but that's a product of the 3D conversion. I saw the movie twice, once in standard format and again in 3D. That opening scene looks WAY better in 3D but I agree it's pretty bad in standard format. I felt the same way about Alice in Wonderland. Some movies feel like you're supposed to be watching it in 3D and, if you're not, you're missing out.

Matt_Black

I mentioned this in another thread (or maybe earlier in this thread, I don't remember), but that's a product of the 3D conversion. I saw the movie twice, once in standard format and again in 3D. That opening scene looks WAY better in 3D but I agree it's pretty bad in standard format. I felt the same way about Alice in Wonderland. Some movies feel like you're supposed to be watching it in 3D and, if you're not, you're missing out.

Well that's a problem with live action. You can make it look good in one format or the other, but rarely both. Animation, on the other hand (excluding stop motion), usually looks fine either way.

NMBC1993

Does everybody in the movie need to make little smart quips? Even the leader of Hydra after being walloped by Cap had to make one before he passed out. Kinda reminded me of the Roger Moore bond movies.

I'll just tell you the same thing everyone tells me when I complain about the banter and quips in Marvel films.

"Well that's how they act in the comics".

Overall, SO glad I didn't see this film. If the rest of the world is torn between love it/hate it/meh it, I can't imagine what I would have thought about it considering my hatred for the first film. We'll see what the future entails concerning the Avengers films, once the Russo's take control.

Last edited:

Launchpad McQuack

Don't worry about those new characters- they don't last long. Just ask Kyle Rayner, Wally West, Connor Hawke, Ben Reilly, Daniel Ketch, etc....

Poor Wally West. He was my Flash. However, the Flash tv show has really warmed me up to Barry.

I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron with my wife Friday afternoon (we both took off work to have a full "fun day" since we won't be able to have many more of those to ourselves soon). We both loved it. I grew up as a comic book geek, so this is a always a fun time for me. I really enjoyed the new characters (thought this version of Quicksilver was exponentially better than the X-Men: Days of Future Past version, but that's a completely different discussion), and I also liked that they added more "personal" moments. I don't know where I would rank it exactly, but it's definitely top three for me, along with Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. By top three, I mean top three comic book/superhero movies in general, not just Marvel.

Launchpad McQuack

Also, I LOVED the ending with...

the new Avengers team at the complex. I know that will be setting up Civil War, but I would actually just love to see a standalone Avengers movie with that squad, especially with Falcon involved. I love that this establishes now that the Avengers roster is fluid and can change in future films, thus allowing the team to keep moving forward after characters like Iron Man, Thor and Steve Rogers (not "Captain America") "retire" after the actors' contracts are up.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Joss confirms he wanted Spider-man and Captain Marvel to be in the new Avengers line up at the end of the movie. - http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/05/joss-whedon-avengers-marvel-cuts

He also talks about the negotiating between him and the executives at Marvel about what should or should not be in the movie. They wanted move Thor in the cave, no farm or dream stuff. They also wanted Cap to say "Avengers Assemble" at the end of the movie and Joss purposely didn't film Evens saying the word so they couldn't add it in later. He thought it would play better with fans if it was just alluded to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom