Cast Member Wages

NelsonRD

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I am not arguing the success or failure of Bob Iger. In fact, I think that the constant degrading of his accomplishments are very over done and not really completely true. My argument is that he or any other of the current CEO's are grossly overpaid. They deserve a good living, and they can get that with a third or less of what they receive. They are overpaid and their individual contribution to any company is greatly exaggerated and deified to the point of ridiculous. I will say it again... No one is worth that much money.

They may demand it because over the last few years, BoD's seem to have been running scared with fear that there are no others out there that can do an equivalent job. They are worth a lot, because their responsibilities are big, but, they will all leave and for the most part the businesses will continue to survive quite comfortably. Disney survived without Walt Disney and Roy Disney, it survived without Eisner, it will survive without Iger. Everyone from the lowliest employee to the top, is replaceable. Apple has continued to survive without Jobs, its main driving force. A lot could be accomplished with the money that they spend on those salaries. In Disney case, it would have built more attractions, elevated employee pay and many other things company wide and he would still be making an enviable living.

Think about the discrepancy between (again using Iger as an example) Iger and the POTUS. Iger has to concern himself with cartoons, movies and theme parks and how often to paint them. Whereas, the POTUS has to be concerned about not starting a Nuclear War where all our lives are on the line. It is an insane example of misplaced priorities that this country is so fond of displaying.

Apple was not able to survive without Jobs. After firing him, the company operated at a loss until his return. Apple is now sustainable without Jobs. Eisner saved Disney, now Disney is sustainable, Mulally saved Ford from a bailout, so this idea that any CEO will do is foolish.

Fordlover

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I am not arguing the success or failure of Bob Iger. In fact, I think that the constant degrading of his accomplishments are very over done and not really completely true. My argument is that he or any other of the current CEO's are grossly overpaid. They deserve a good living, and they can get that with a third or less of what they receive. They are overpaid and their individual contribution to any company is greatly exaggerated and deified to the point of ridicules. I will say it again... No one is worth that much money.

They may demand it because over the last few years, BoD's seem to have been running scared with fear that there are no others out there that can do an equivalent job. They are worth a lot, because their responsibilities are big, but, they will all leave and for the most part the businesses will continue to survive quite comfortably. Disney survived without Walt Disney and Roy Disney, it survived without Eisner, it will survive without Iger. Everyone from the lowliest employee to the top, is replaceable. Apple has continued to survive without Jobs, its main driving force. A lot could be accomplished with the money that they spend on those salaries. In Disney case, it would have built more attractions, elevated employee pay and many other things company wide and he would still be making an enviable living.

Think about the discrepancy between (again using Iger as an example) Iger and the POTUS. Iger has to concern himself with cartoons, movies and theme parks and how often to paint them. Whereas, the POTUS has to be concerned about not starting a Nuclear War where all our lives are on the line. It is an insane example of misplaced priorities that this country is so fond of displaying.

I am speaking more in generic terms with regards to CEO's and such. I personally have no real feelings towards Iger one way or the other. And luckily for highly paid CEO's everywhere, many people who matter disagree with the last sentence of your first paragraph.

I also think using the POTUS is a bad example. If you look at the profit/loss statement of the Federal Government, if any company ran itself like the Fed, they'd quickly go out of business ( Enron, etc.). In my estimation, that means the POTUS (and his predecessors both 'D' & 'R') are some of the worst CEO's out there, and their pay reflects it. Only the Fed can get away with running a long term pyramid scheme.

I'm not saying Iger's pay is justified, but the Board gets to determine pay, and I don't think you or I complaining is going to change anything...unless you can get us positions on the BoD. :)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm not saying Iger's pay is justified, but the Board gets to determine pay, and I don't think you or I complaining is going to change anything...unless you can get us positions on the BoD. :)
The problem you have is that a lot of the members of a BoD are also CEOs at their company, and they don't want their pay, bonuses, or stock options cut either. It's the you scratch mine and I'll scratch your mentality that has CEO pay at a ridiculous level compared to average worker pay.

WhatJaneSays

You can move up IF you know people. I have several friends who've been given the whole "Were gonna put you on the leadership track" business over and over again and their leaders just keep telling them they did away with the program. Some of these friends have been employed with Disney for 15 years and are still given the same run around. Other friends have retired after 20+ years of service and only topped out at $12/hour.

Knowing people (along with knowing how to sell yourself to the right people as well) is the key to moving up in any business, Disney is by no the worst offender. I also know several people that have jumped ship both to and away from Disney. A number of those have moved on to high positions or better paying positions and a large number have been "passed over" - in nearly the exact same ratio of people I know that are outside of Disney.

I've got one friend that started less than 2 years ago in a fairly entry level part time job and has gotten a better raise rate (both dollar and percent wise) than I have in that time with no self-promotion. On the other hand I have a former co-worker that has "topped out" in his position near $14/hr and has tried to move up a few times in the last couple of years and failed. And while I know he is more skilled than most in his field … I also know he is not very good a delegating and gets hung up on overly small details. He also relentlessly complained about being passed over while he worked here as well.

Disney is the leader in the industry. What that means is if Disney can pay a very low wage, all of the others are going to follow that pattern (this happens with park admission and parking prices too). they spend thousands of dollars every few years to do "research on the industry" to make sure they are paying appropriately. But when you are the leader in the industry, you are just spending that money to do research on yourself??? :cautious:

Disney likes to hire Disney fans because they will basically work for peanuts anyway without much complaint. But several people are basically told "Look, if you want to complain about your wages, we have 30 people at Casting who'd be willing to take it."

Of course they like to hire Disney fans – it’s less “personality training” they have to do; if your staff is pre-familiarized with your image, style, and products that’s less work for new hires and trainers alike. And yes, if people have a positive impression of any company they are willing to work for less. With the job market being what it is those “30 people at Casting” are in fact willing to work for the same or less. I’ve heard a similar phrase come from dozens of hiring managers, recruitment services, and HR departments in the last 10 years. That is not a unique feature of Disney.

(Total Aside: You want to get into low wage hiring, dodgey HR practices, horrifying advancement ability, and the most demoralizing work experience you could ever have - spend 6 years working the public sector with an elected official as the head.)

raven

Knowing people (along with knowing how to sell yourself to the right people as well) is the key to moving up in any business, Disney is by no the worst offender. I also know several people that have jumped ship both to and away from Disney. A number of those have moved on to high positions or better paying positions and a large number have been "passed over" - in nearly the exact same ratio of people I know that are outside of Disney.

I've got one friend that started less than 2 years ago in a fairly entry level part time job and has gotten a better raise rate (both dollar and percent wise) than I have in that time with no self-promotion. On the other hand I have a former co-worker that has "topped out" in his position near $14/hr and has tried to move up a few times in the last couple of years and failed. And while I know he is more skilled than most in his field … I also know he is not very good a delegating and gets hung up on overly small details. He also relentlessly complained about being passed over while he worked here as well.

Of course they like to hire Disney fans – it’s less “personality training” they have to do; if your staff is pre-familiarized with your image, style, and products that’s less work for new hires and trainers alike. And yes, if people have a positive impression of any company they are willing to work for less. With the job market being what it is those “30 people at Casting” are in fact willing to work for the same or less. I’ve heard a similar phrase come from dozens of hiring managers, recruitment services, and HR departments in the last 10 years. That is not a unique feature of Disney.

(Total Aside: You want to get into low wage hiring, dodgey HR practices, horrifying advancement ability, and the most demoralizing work experience you could ever have - spend 6 years working the public sector with an elected official as the head.)

I understand all of this BUT this thread is about Cast Member Wages. Not other wages in other industries.

I believe there are CMs that can move up and have gotten raises worth their time in the company. But many of my close friends, who have been there for years and years, this is not the case. These people have given a greater part of their lives working for Disney without a decent raise rewarding them for their commitment. I trophy doesn't pay your bills when the cost of living goes up.

I also believe there are good leadership within Disney. But there is also bad leadership, and departments, within the company as well. Yes, that happens in most companies, but again I am staying on topic.

Siren

Apple was not able to survive without Jobs. After firing him, the company operated at a loss until his return. Apple is now sustainable without Jobs. Eisner saved Disney, now Disney is sustainable, Mulally saved Ford from a bailout, so this idea that any CEO will do is foolish.
It amazes how the U.S. auto industry manages to pay their entry level employees a livable wage with benefits and profit sharing -- they really put all the other industries to shame.

In part, I believe entry level cast members work for low wages at Disney because they are in love with the Disney brand and what it stands for. Also, if you put Disney on any resume it will open many doors and opportunities.

raven

In part, I believe entry level cast members work for low wages at Disney because they are in love with the Disney brand and what it stands for. Also, if you put Disney on any resume it will open many doors and opportunities.

Initially, yes. But for some CM's it doesn't take much for their life-long love for the company to become tarnished when they see the inner workings behind the mouse and their light paychecks throw them below the poverty line within only a few months of working there. This can take a toll on your dedication as you soon have to find other sources of income. I'm not saying that doesn't happen in other companies, but you can't pay employees in park access or simply by being part of a historical name brand.

betty rose

Initially, yes. But for some CM's it doesn't take much for their life-long love for the company to become tarnished when they see the inner workings behind the mouse and their light paychecks throw them below the poverty line within only a few months of working there. This can take a toll on your dedication as you soon have to find other sources of income. I'm not saying that doesn't happen in other companies, but you can't pay employees in park access or simply by being part of a historical name brand.
:)

CaptainAmerica

I know some truly dumb people who have advanced to management positions at Disney. If you can't manage to move up to at least trainer or coordinator within a year, you're either terrible at your job, a poor networker, or just not trying hard enough.

betty rose

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I am not arguing the success or failure of Bob Iger. In fact, I think that the constant degrading of his accomplishments are very over done and not really completely true. My argument is that he or any other of the current CEO's are grossly overpaid. They deserve a good living, and they can get that with a third or less of what they receive. They are overpaid and their individual contribution to any company is greatly exaggerated and deified to the point of ridiculous. I will say it again... No one is worth that much money.

betty rose

I agree with you 1,000,000 %. We both lived through the cold war...those were the days, and today, that our leaders have a burden on their shoulders, that a CEO, can only imagine. Yes, jobs are on the line , and that's extremely important, but those who carry the heavy load (like CM'S) making sure Disney is that magical place for all visitor's are the water carriers. My opinion. Don't need to reply , because there are people that use personal attacks, to defend their positions. As Roz, always says......I'm watching you, always watching you.....:D

raven

I know some truly dumb people who have advanced to management positions at Disney. If you can't manage to move up to at least trainer or coordinator within a year, you're either terrible at your job, a poor networker, or just not trying hard enough.

As did I. But understand, not all departments are created equal. ;)

Siren

Awww, this is such an eloquent statement and very well said! Sadly, I have to agree. You and all the CM's deserve so much better, and this is why I go out of my way to treat all CM's very nice and tip very well. And, it's not hard because they are all so kind and super helpful to me.

As did I. But understand, not all departments are created equal. ;)
Yay! I'm so glad you moved up. But, I totally disagree with that poster. It's totally okay to be happy and content with your job and some people know that they wouldn't like working in management. There were some former managers that left Disney World to work at Baha Mar in the Bahamas.

BOOMitsGeorgia

i've applied to work at disney 4 times and will continue to apply until i get a job there. I don't care about what I would earn cause I want to work there cause it would be an amazing experience. Being in the UK, it would mean that I would get to live in the US for a year which would be a dream cause I love it there!

raven

One more thing. I worked in a department with 250 CMs. There were 3 coordinator roles and a handfull of trainer roles. Are you saying that all of the other people in my department were terrible at their jobs or weren't trying? 60,000+ CMs can't ALL move up. There'd be no one on the front lines to run the park.

CaptainAmerica

One more thing. I worked in a department with 250 CMs. There were 3 coordinator roles and a handfull of trainer roles. Are you saying that all of the other people in my department were terrible at their jobs or weren't trying? 60,000+ CMs can't ALL move up. There'd be no one on the front lines to run the park.
When you subtract CPs, retirees, professionals, tipped positions, and others who have no interest in moving up, yes. Those who are trying to make park operations their career should be able to do so. I'm talking attractions, merch, F&B, and recreation (and probably a couple I'm missing). Nobody is pinned to one department if there aren't advancement opportunities there. I know people who have moved from resort merch to attractions, from bell services to concierge, from concierge to deployment, from F&B to animal care, all for promotions.

Tom Morrow

This. I know tons of people who were great at their jobs as a CM, doing everything right, only to continue to get nowhere - or get unfairly terminated - who then switched to Universal or elsewhere and prospered. WDW is basically too big for true advancement to be as easy as implied, and WDW tends to only promote a certain type of personality, and it has nothing to do with how good they were at their job.

To put it in perspective, only at WDW is Guest Relations, a role where the majority of your time is spent absorbing complaints, is considered a sought after, desired position. Because at WDW, that is the end of the line for many.

Goofyernmost

Awww, this is such an eloquent statement and very well said! Sadly, I have to agree. You and all the CM's deserve so much better, and this is why I go out of my way to treat all CM's very nice and tip very well. And, it's not hard because they are all so kind and super helpful to me.
I wouldn't for a second think that CM's shouldn't be paid more, but, I can't help but thinking that they all know going in how much they aren't going to make. It doesn't take a Masters Degree in Math to figure out what the hourly rate amounts too. Why is it an OK wage when they take the job and within a few weeks they "find" themselves at the poverty level and become disgruntled. They were there when they signed on. How could it come as a shock. Also there never has been a single entry level position that is completely enjoyable. They, like everyone in every industry, are the low people on the totem pole. As we all know crap runs downhill. None of this should come as a surprise. Even the reality that working for a place is a lot different then visiting a place should be something that people know will happen. One's freedom disappears and drudgery sets in.

Siren

i've applied to work at disney 4 times and will continue to apply until i get a job there. I don't care about what I would earn cause I want to work there cause it would be an amazing experience. Being in the UK, it would mean that I would get to live in the US for a year which would be a dream cause I love it there!
I'm wishing you the best and I hope you get it this time. If not, maybe God has something better in store for you or it's not the right time so still keep trying.

I wouldn't for a second think that CM's shouldn't be paid more, but, I can't help but thinking that they all know going in how much they aren't going to make. It doesn't take a Masters Degree in Math to figure out what the hourly rate amounts too. Why is it an OK wage when they take the job and within a few weeks they "find" themselves at the poverty level and become disgruntled. They were there when they signed on. How could it come as a shock. Also there never has been a single entry level position that is completely enjoyable. They, like everyone in every industry, are the low people on the totem pole. As we all know crap runs downhill. None of this should come as a surprise. Even the reality that working for a place is a lot different then visiting a place should be something that people know will happen. One's freedom disappears and drudgery sets in.
Very well said and I totally agree with you. However, my concern is that inflation and prices have skyrocketed and Disney is no exception -- their prices go up & up every year, with record breaking profits each quarter but cast member wages have remained stagnant far too long and that is not fair to the workers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom