Beluga death at Sea World

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
I'm old enough to remember Carter as Prez and I've been aware of SeaWorld's rescue and release efforts since grade school. Most often it was mentioned in beached whale or dolphin rescues when they made the news. If a grown adult is unaware of SeaWorld's help in that field, they are a low information person that hasn't paid much attention most of their life to news and current events. Doesn't make them bad, it is what it is and unfortunately they will latch on to causes because thats the en vogue thing to do, not because they had some trove of info to formulate their belief and social media has made so easy to participate without much effort.
I assume that I am the so called "low information person" of your attack, the one you assume has not paid attention to news and current events "most of their life".

I guess that means it is time to take my Masters Degree, the one that keeps me 100K in debt due to student loans to this very day, and throw it in the trash. But seriously, that is a fairly broad, presumptive, not to mention ridiculous insult to hurl just because I have not been tracking Sea World's every move since I crawled out of the stroller. I've always followed current events, politics, pop culture and the like very closely, and I am now following Sea World's actions as well, since the whale situation is so deplorable.

And that is what sometimes leads me to positive news stories, which are great to hear about, and I applaud SEA for those efforts. I have no problem giving them credit where credit is due, But that doesn't change the fact that they need to join the rest of us in the 21st century and take a very serious look at their captive whale business model.

Sheesh. I post a positive Sea World article and this is what I get? I won't make that mistake again.

Donald Razorduck

Why do you feel it nessisary to throw out your educa
I assume that I am the so called "low information person" of your attack, the one you assume has not paid attention to news and current events "most of their life".

I guess that means it is time to take my Masters Degree, the one that keeps me 100K in debt due to student loans to this very day, and throw it in the trash. But seriously, that is a fairly broad, presumptive, not to mention ridiculous insult to hurl just because I have not been tracking Sea World's every move since I crawled out of the stroller. I've always followed current events, politics, pop culture and the like very closely, and I am now following Sea World's actions as well, since the whale situation is so deplorable.

And that is what sometimes leads me to positive news stories, which are great to hear about, and I applaud SEA for those efforts. I have no problem giving them credit where credit is due, But that doesn't change the fact that they need to join the rest of us in the 21st century and take a very serious look at their captive whale business model.

Sheesh. I post a positive Sea World article and this is what I get? I won't make that mistake again.

What does debt from a Master's Degree have to do with anything. Least you didn't throw out it was from haughty institution of higher learning. I worked third shift in a wheel plating factory to pay for my studies at a lowly state funded land grant.

The whale situation isn't deplorable, life on a Navaho Indian Reservation in Arizona is deplorable or some of the children's homes my DW investigates but we are too concerned with whales that want for nothing and are much more valued than children in foster care. I'm often flabbergasted at what causes some invest time in over others.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Why do you feel it nessisary to throw out your educa

What does debt from a Master's Degree have to do with anything. Least you didn't throw out it was from haughty institution of higher learning. I worked third shift in a wheel plating factory to pay for my studies at a lowly state funded land grant.

The whale situation isn't deplorable, life on a Navaho Indian Reservation in Arizona is deplorable or some of the children's homes my DW investigates but we are too concerned with whales that want for nothing and are much more valued than children in foster care. I'm often flabbergasted at what causes some invest time in over others.
Good for you for working a third shift in a wheel plating factory to pay for your education. I worked 11PM to 7AM at a Dennys to pay for mine. That was all sorts of fun. (BuzzKillington would have loved the "drunks" who stumbled in there demanding Grand Slams at 3AM.) And I still had to take out 100K in student loans to finish the education process. No one ever gave me anything.

None of this has to do with the subject at hand and was only raised due to your unnecessary insults.

The whale situation IS deplorable, and so are the other examples that you raise, but Navajo (note the correct spelling, courtesy of the "low information person") Indian reservations and social workers are not the subjects being discussed here.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Good for you for working a third shift in a wheel plating factory to pay for your education. I worked 11PM to 7AM at a Dennys to pay for mine. That was all sorts of fun. (BuzzKillington would have loved the "drunks" who stumbled in there demanding Grand Slams at 3AM.) And I still had to take out 100K in student loans to finish the education process. No one ever gave me anything.

None of this has to do with the subject at hand and was only raised due to your unnecessary insults.

The whale situation IS deplorable, and so are the other examples that you raise, but Navajo (note the correct spelling, courtesy of the "low information person") Indian reservations and social workers are not the subjects being discussed here.
I'm just waiting on someone to bring up Hitler and then this thread can truly have jumped the you-know-what.

BuzzKillington

..but we are too concerned with whales that want for nothing and are much more valued than children....

Exactly and that is why I consider these animal rights activist nothing but hypocrites. They cry horror when a baby killer whale is separated from it's mother but when it comes to a lowly human baby being separated from it's mother at 24 weeks, they not only keep mum but fully endorse it. Sickening IMO.

Last edited:

Donald Razorduck

Having grown up in the river delta of Arkansas, I have seen poverty and what is really deplorable. Again, there's nothing deplorable about the whales' care at SeaWorld. It might not be what one's vision of Orca utopia is but it is certainly not deplorable. To say so is an admission of skewed perspective.

Last edited:

michmousefan

Exactly and that is why I consider these animal rights activist nothing but hypocrites. They cry horror when a baby killer whale is separated from it's mother but when it comes to a lowly human baby being separated from it's mother at 24 weeks, they not only keep mum but fully endorse it. Sickening IMO.
You certainly like your meaningless generalizations, don't you? I do consider myself an animal activist, and I'm an activist for a number of other issues. None of which you know about, nor do you need to. We are specifically discussing the (indeed) deplorable practice of keeping and breeding intelligent animals in captivity, forcing them to do tricks, against their will, in unnatural settings and environment, in order to get food to survive... all in the pursuit of (rather lousy) human entertainment.

There are many admirable and deplorable things in this world. Sea World's rescue and rehab of certain species is one of the admirable things; their Orca practices are definitely part of the deplorable category. Implying that Sea World needs the latter so that the former can continue is myopic and ill-informed.

The new roller coaster (which I'm sure I'd enjoy) is hopefully a sign of things to come. More rides, more exhibits, less shows.

matt78

You certainly like your meaningless generalizations, don't you? I do consider myself an animal activist, and I'm an activist for a number of other issues. None of which you know about, nor do you need to. We are specifically discussing the (indeed) deplorable practice of keeping and breeding intelligent animals in captivity, forcing them to do tricks, against their will, in unnatural settings and environment, in order to get food to survive... all in the pursuit of (rather lousy) human entertainment.

How do you know that performing tricks is against the orcas will. I have been to Sea World many times and have never seen the trainers force them to do anything. Even if they did how would they go about doing that exactly. There is nothing they could do that would force an animal that big to do what they want. Do you really think they would endanger the health of the whales by not feeding them for days on end if they didn't perform. Just because marine parks have used these tactics in the past doesn't mean they are still going on today. I've been whale watching multiple times and I have seen whales do many of the things that are considered tricks while in the wild. Having said that I do believe it is time to do away with the shows and turn the entire Shamu stadium area into a giant tank for the orcas to swim in.

The funny thing about the breeding program is that if orcas were an endangered species that Sea World would be getting praised for the work that they are doing. Because they are not they are vilified for it.

They do need the Orcas and dolphins to survive though. The animals are the only thing they have that set them apart from Disney and Universal.

Last edited:

919Florida

How do you know that performing tricks is against the orcas will. I have been to Sea World many times and have never seen the trainers force them to do anything. Even if they did how would they go about doing that exactly. There is nothing they could do that would force an animal that big to do what they want. Do you really think they would endanger the health of the whales by not feeding them for days on end if they didn't perform. Just because marine parks have used these tactics in the past doesn't mean they are still going on today. I've been whale watching multiple times and I have seen whales do many of the things that are considered tricks while in the wild. Having said that I do believe it is time to do away with the shows and turn the entire Shamu stadium area into a giant tank for the orcas to swim in.

The funny thing about the breeding program is that if orcas were an endangered species that Sea World would be getting praised for the work that they are doing. Because they are not they are vilified for it.

They do need the Orcas and dolphins to survive though. The animals are the only thing they have that set them apart from Disney and Universal.

Everything you said here is 100% right. Cant agree with you more.

How anyone can say the orcas are forced to do anything is beyond me. Nothing can force them to do anything. They are not deprived of food if they don't do what they are asked. They still get the same diet they are supposed to get. I have seen numerous shows where an orca don't want to do something so they just don't do it. simple as that. I get so tired of people saying the animals are forced into shows and forced to do things they don't want to do. Anyone who says this has not been to SeaWorld to see what really happens.

And like you said SeaWorld needs their animals to set them apart and make them different. Things are turning around SeaWorld will have a good year this year. I can feel it.

This post is so off topic from the original story its crazy.

michmousefan

Everything you said here is 100% right. Cant agree with you more.

How anyone can say the orcas are forced to do anything is beyond me. Nothing can force them to do anything. They are not deprived of food if they don't do what they are asked. They still get the same diet they are supposed to get. I have seen numerous shows where an orca don't want to do something so they just don't do it. simple as that. I get so tired of people saying the animals are forced into shows and forced to do things they don't want to do. Anyone who says this has not been to SeaWorld to see what really happens.

And like you said SeaWorld needs their animals to set them apart and make them different. Things are turning around SeaWorld will have a good year this year. I can feel it.
Well, I have been to SeaWorld and seen the "shows." Certainly the Orcas can't be forced to do anything, but keep in mind they are captive and can't get their food from any source other than their captors.
And as far as trusting Sea World to do the right thing... this is from today's Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...erly-protecting-employees-from-killer-whales/

matt78

Well, I have been to SeaWorld and seen the "shows." Certainly the Orcas can't be forced to do anything, but keep in mind they are captive and can't get their food from any source other than their captors.
And as far as trusting Sea World to do the right thing... this is from today's Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...erly-protecting-employees-from-killer-whales/

SeaWorld is not going to starve the whales. Why would they risk the health of their main attractions. It may have happened in the past but I'd bet just about anything that it doesn't happen today. It makes no sense.

Donald Razorduck

I loved this thread more when it was about abortion, Navahoes, 3am drunks at Denny's, Hitler's shark breeding program, and walking to school for three hours every day without shoes through the snow in the deplorable Arkansas river delta.
Now now, we had buses with heat even. But if you are ever passing thru on I-55, take the Turrell exit, drive into the town and get back with me on deplorable conditions.

Who knew I was emotionally damaging Fido for teaching him to shake hands and sit. I'm so going to hell for that.

Last edited:

JPatton

SeaWorld continues to cling to an archaic form of entertainment that is fast falling out of favor with the public. SeaWorld must break from the past---reinvent itself---and become something new. The wildlife rescue program can continue without displaying captive dolphins, orcas, and belugas in the parks.

Children will continue to learn about orcas after there are no captive ones on display. They'll be fine.

Thanks for your posts, Buddy.

Donald Razorduck

SeaWorld continues to cling to an archaic form of entertainment that is fast falling out of favor with the public. SeaWorld must break from the past---reinvent itself---and become something new. The wildlife rescue program can continue without displaying captive dolphins, orcas, and belugas in the parks.

Children will continue to learn about orcas after there are no captive ones on display. They'll be fine.

Thanks for your posts, Buddy.
Yes interactive dolphin experiences are falling so out of favor they are proliferating everywhere often commanding top dollar prices. Got it.

NormC

And in the meantime what would you like them to do with all the "captive" animals they currently have?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom