Avengers: Age of Ultron

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/28/age-ultron-presale-tickets

"At this point in the sales cycle, Age of Ultron advance ticket sales are almost four times greater than the number sold for the first Avengers, and almost five times greater than Iron Man 3. Presale tickets for Age of Ultron launched almost two months ago, and the numbers keep going up as the premiere date gets closer: In the last 24 hours, Ultron advance tickets made up 84 percent of all tickets sold at MovieTickets.com."

Animaniac93-98

Finished watching the movie about a hour ago. Most important thing you need to know going in is that there is NO post credits scene. There's a bit after the main cast call, but that's it.

Is it good? Yes, it's very good. I'm surprised it's sitting at around 75% on RT as I don't think it's really worse in any way than the first (you could argue it's better overall, particularily the first hour). If you love your Marvel movies, you'll like this one. It does drag in the middle, since there's only so many action scenes you can cram into a movie before they start to get dull, but it makes up for it in the end.

Saw it in IMAX 3D and there was only 1 trailer before the start (Jurassic World) plus a scene from Tomorrowland that I assume was unedited, looked great and I think will only show before IMAX screenings. No other commercials or cr@p to sit through before hand (yay!).

Tony Perkis

Saw it. Liked it. Didn't particularly love it. Some great character scenes, but the action is a bit more incomprehensible.

More importantly, while their were some funny lines and lighter moments, the film plays much darker and far more serious that the previous installment, which given the ridiculous nature of this series, doesn't go over as well.

And lastly, while the first one set up a bigger universe, this one has "middle film" written all over it. It's clearly the gap film meant to bridge the start of this series to it's all out war conclusion. It feels like the a film that serves little purpose than to introduce a few new characters, especially The Vision.

Ultron is fun, though. Good villain.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I give it a 'meh'

It has some impressive scenes.. in some ways I feel like (especially early in the film) its the closest I've ever thought of a comic panel coming to life could be. It's neat in that respect in some of the scenes/visuals.

But I found the plot itself to be a complete bore... I felt no engagement or vested feeling for what they were doing or facing. I felt it didn't really have any of the '@$% yeah!' moving hero moments like the first film did. When I finished the first avengers... I was like.. Ok, they just set the new standard in what all comic/superhero films will be. The hero shots in the city battle scene when they rally together... goose bumps. No such thing in this film.

This film felt a ton more 'wordy' at times where characters are rambling on about things that really... just felt like 'why are we listening to this?'. The humor was up and down in its effectiveness IMO. Maybe 2-3 really good ones.. the rest.. pretty forced.

I feel no urge to go and watch it again.. and wouldn't be telling my friends 'you gotta see it'.

Visually impressive... the comic book action is amazing... but not that engaging IMO. GoTG and Avengers were both far better IMO.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Watched AoU last night, great movie with lots and lots of action.

As others have stated the middle slows a bit providing a much needed respite from the action sequences but all in all a great popcorn flick with a little deeper character development for Banner/Hulk, Natasha/Black Widow and Clint/Hawkeye. No spoilers here but Ultron is a real bad a s s at times but could have been stronger. Quicksilver & Scarlett Witch are fun to watch pile into the Avengers with a few supporting casts that were a surprise at the end.

See it if you liked the first.

erasure fan1

I loved it from start to finish. I was afraid it might not live up to the expectations that I had built up for it, but it did. There were some awesome action sequences and thankfully none of them ran too long (its always annoying when an action shot drags on and on and on). The Vision was very cool, definitely a highlight of the movie. The movie was pure unadulterated summer blockbuster fun the whole way thorough. My biggest negative was that they didn't show the star wars trailer in front of the movie.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I saw it last Thursday when it came out here in the UK, loved it, will get it on BR (as I have all the Marvel stuff so far)

CaptainAmerica

It's clearly the gap film meant to bridge the start of this series to it's all out war conclusion.
I've seen this sentiment kicked around, but I think it's a mistake to assume that Infinity War is going to be any kind of conclusion. Marvel Studios is a functioning film studio now. I doubt they stop making movies (and making money) just because some arbitrarily-defined Phase 3 of films wraps up.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I loved it from start to finish. I was afraid it might not live up to the expectations that I had built up for it, but it did. There were some awesome action sequences and thankfully none of them ran too long (its always annoying when an action shot drags on and on and on). The Vision was very cool, definitely a highlight of the movie. The movie was pure unadulterated summer blockbuster fun the whole way thorough. My biggest negative was that they didn't show the star wars trailer in front of the movie.

They show The Force Awakens teaser at the theater I watched AoU at. It seems to be hit and miss right now but the audience clapped at the end of TFA teaser too which was nice to see.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
It is possible Daredevil will get released on physical media, House of Cards has been and I wouldn't have thought they would want to limit its reach to just streaming services

Stefan8

The end of Phase Three will most likely wrap up threads that have been going on since the very beginning (all the stuff with the Infinity Stones & Thanos), but it would indeed be silly to assume that the MCU will end there. Especially with all these new characters they're going to introduce.

That being said, Age of Ultron did feel like a bit of a sidestep - which is fine. It provided some character development for underdeveloped characters, offered a great villain and Marvel's signature combination of impressive comic book action and dry humor. I would have appreciated if they slowed it down a bit here and there. I assume they didn't want to turn this into a 180+ minute epic, so a lot had to be cut.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've seen this sentiment kicked around, but I think it's a mistake to assume that Infinity War is going to be any kind of conclusion

Not conclusion of the characters/movies.. but conclusion of this plotline.

The movie does suffer from the 'inbetweener' that relies too much on the prior movie and trying to setup the next. It feels like it misses the key takeaways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom