How to make a honeymoon memorable for WDW veterans

CP_alum08

Original Poster
Hey everyone, my GF and I got engaged this past weekend and honeymoon talk has already started! WDW is obviously in the running but I'm nervous it might be too "normal" of a vacation for us. Both our families grew up going to WDW in the summers and the two of us have probably been close to 20 times over the years.

So how can we make our honeymoon special or different in some way that will make it stand out from our other trips? Thanks!

I should clarify, I mean we have been 20 times as a couple. Not separately.

DisneyPrincess5

First of all, congratulations! What an exciting time in life and thinking of incorporating Disney somehow makes it even more exciting.

My husband and I Disneymooned in the Fall of 2013 and we had the absolute BEST time of our lives. We talk about it frequently and look back fondly. We had been to Disney together a number of times and before we were together too, but something was so different about the honeymoon trip. We were finally married so who we were as a couple had changed and that made every "normality" of Disney magically special. We felt that Disney is such a huge part of our lives and relationship that it actually would've felt weird to not go there for our once in a lifetime honeymoon.

It will be automatically different as you will be excited, clear minded when the wedding has come and gone, and extra happy. To make it extra special and different then other trips, we stayed at a resort we had never been at before, did all new dining, and stayed for twice as long as usual so these differences made it seem extra fresh.

Whatever you chose, have a wonderful time and happy planning.

Sweet Melissa

I agree with @DisneyPrincess5. The honeymoon was different for us because we made it different. We stayed longer than we ever had before, and chose options for lodging, dining and entertaining that were slightly more "luxurious" than our usual. And the fact that we had just planned and executed a wedding, one of the more complicated events we've hosted to date, made the vacation more relaxing than ever. We also got married on Disney property, so we were able to share some of the things we love about WDW with the people closest to us.

My tips:
• Plan your wedding so that your honeymoon and subsequent anniversaries fall at the time you like to travel. Our wedding was 11/5 because we like to catch the tail end of the Food & Wine festival, so it made sense to us to tie that in to both our wedding trip and our anniversaries.
• Go big, but don't go nuts. We knew that we wanted to work as many signature restaurants as possible into our dining itinerary, so while we did splurge a little on the resorts we chose, we didn't opt for super ginormous rooms and the most expensive hotels. We did rent DVC points for our trip, which saved us a lot. Choosing studios as opposed to suites saved even more.
• Don't expect CMs to make the trip memorable for you. We knew the usual advice about noting your celebration on your reservations and wearing the bride/groom accessories and buttons, but we also knew that doing these things wouldn't necessarily get us perked. This isn't the year of a million dreams anymore, and everyone is celebrating something. I have friends in the Disney weddings community who were really disappointed by the lack of "attention" they received for being on their honeymoon. Want a glass of champagne with dinner? Order one, don't expect it to arrive at your table via pixie dust.

CP_alum08

Original Poster
Thank you both! One of the biggest reasons we are considering WDW is because of how easy and relaxing it is once you're there and after planning and executing a wedding I can imagine that would be nice! Versus going some place we have never been, like a Europe trip, we would want to cram in as much as possible because we wouldn't know for sure if we would ever get back.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Do you have the option of doing WDW in addition to something else? My wife and I were able to do a week at Old Key West followed by a week long (non-Disney) cruise thanks to the generosity of family and friends.

CP_alum08

Original Poster
Do you have the option of doing WDW in addition to something else? My wife and I were able to do a week at Old Key West followed by a week long (non-Disney) cruise thanks to the generosity of family and friends.
I'm not sure something like 2 weeks is doable, but I thought about doing a "layover" in Orlando if we fly somewhere else. Just doing a couple days but the same idea.

BJones82

This is a great question, we are getting married in WDW and then honeymooning there and I am secretly worried about this though don't tell my Fiancée lol, WDW has all ready been so magical for us I worry that it may not be different enough on our honeymoon so it is great to see the advice of honeymoon veterans on this post!!

Thank you all so much for the advice lol... Even though I didn't think to ask it lol....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom