Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

Tom

Beta Return
Right. And Pirates stacks more than any other boat ride in my experience.

I would agree, based on my experience as well. Small World occasionally has backups, but I have a feeling those rare times are probably a result of delays at load/unload. Not because the attraction is over-saturated with ride vehicles.

The problem though is that you have people who don't know or care setting the metrics and they just think more boats is more people.

Right. Perhaps input is all that matters. Sure, they can send 2400 people INTO the ride in an hour, but they only offload 2000 people in that same hour.

I wonder if they're using the same capacity numbers that they used back when they had a 2-lane load platform.

In Disney's defense, a lot of people require transfers now, which slows loading and unloading considerably, but they have to assume no one will need a transfer when choosing the number of boats to send out as there could theoretically be a 10-minute interval with no transfers where they want to maximize capacity.

They have enough data to appropriately compensate for that.

Agreed, typically though having extra boats ensures that they will always have a boat at load and and unload. It shouldn't necessarily be backed up to the Harry Pirate leg, but back to the jail cell is certainly acceptable.

Yeah, I'd be OK if I were stopped at the jail occasionally....and the treasure room is completely understandable. But I guarantee guests would be happier (er, less unhappy) if they had to wait a few seconds for another boat to appear out of the tunnel before they could load....than if they were sitting in bumper to bumper traffic starting at the fire scene. For some reason, this is a concept that Ops can't grasp.

It was backed up like that for us as well in June 2014. Really kills the immersion.

It really does. Also, when you're sitting in a traffic jam like that, people get fidgety, kids get irritable, "southern international tourists" start taking pictures and getting rowdy. Then the rest of the ride is ruined, because nobody settles down after they've gotten wound up (that's just not human nature), and you're still only advancing 12' at a time.

Cesar R M

A little cherry picking of facts?

Using Snopes as a source, fairly respectable, only 2 of the listed deaths at Disneyland have ever been attributed to Disney, and the first one that was also was attributed to oversight failures as well.

While your statement may hold some truth (not knowing if the maintenance budget cut happened or was responsible for the 1st death personally), the statement you made tries to paint a much worse picture than the reality actually is. Here are the list of Disneyland deaths

• May 1964: Mark Maples, a 15-year-old Long Beach, CA, resident, was killed when he tried to stand up on the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Maples (or his companion) foolishly unbuckled his seatbeat and attempted to stand up as their bobsled neared the peak of the mountain. Maples lost his balance and was thrown from the sled to the track below, fracturing his skull and ribs and causing internal injuries. He died three days later.

• June 1966: Thomas Guy Cleveland, a 19-year-old Northridge, CA, resident, was killed when he attempted to sneak into Disneyland along the Monorail track. Cleveland scaled the park's sixteen-foot high outer fence on a Grad Nite and climbed onto the Monorail track, intending to jump or climb down once inside the park. Cleveland ignored a security guard's shouted warnings of an approaching Monorail train and failed to leap clear of the track. He finally climbed down onto a fiberglass canopy beneath the track, but the clearance wasn't enough — the oncoming train struck and killed him, dragging his body 30 to40 feetdown the track.

• August 1967: Ricky Lee Yama, a 17-year-old Hawthorne, CA, resident, was killed when he disregarded safety instructions and exited his People Mover car as the ride was passing through a tunnel. Yama slipped as he was jumping from car to car and was crushed to death beneath the wheels of oncoming cars.

• June 1973: Bogden Delaurot, an 18-year-old Brooklyn resident, drowned trying to swim across the Rivers of America. Delaurot and his 10-year-old brother managed to stay on Tom Sawyer Island past its dusk closing time by climbing the fence separating the island from the burning settlers' cabin. When they decided to leave the island a few hours later, they chose to swim across the river rather than call attention to their rule-breaking by appealing to cast members for help. Because the younger brother did not know how to swim, Delaurot tried to carry him on his back as he swam to shore. Bogden Delaurot went down about halfway across the river. The younger boy remained afloat by dogpaddling until a ride operator hauled him aboard a boat, but Bogden was nowhere to be found. His body was not located by searchers until the next morning.

• 7 June 1980: Gerardo Gonzales, a recent San Diego high school graduate, was killed on the People Mover in an accident much like the one that had befallen Ricky Lee Yama thirteen years earlier. Gonzales, in the early morning hours of a Grad Nite celebration, was climbing from car to car as the People Mover entered the SuperSpeed Tunnel adjacent to the former America Singsbuilding. Gonzales stumbled and fell onto the track, where an oncoming train of cars crushed him beneath its wheels and dragged his body a few hundred feet before being stopped by a ride operator.

• 4 June 1983: Philip Straughan, an 18-year-old Albuquerque, New Mexico, resident, also drowned in the Rivers of America in yet another Grad Nite incident. Straughan and a friend — celebrating both their graduations and Straughan's eighteenth birthday — had been drinking quite heavily that evening. They sneaked into a "Cast Members Only" area along the river and untied an inflatable rubber maintenance motorboat, deciding to take it for a joyride around the river. Unable to adequately control the boat, they struck a rock near Tom Sawyer Island, and Straughan was thrown into the water. His friend traveled back to shore to seek help, but Straughan drowned long before his body was finally located an hour later.

• 3 January 1984: Dolly Regene Young, a 48-year-old Fremont, CA, resident, was killed on the Matterhorn in an incident remarkably similar to the first Disneyland guest death nearly twenty years earlier. About two-thirds of the way down the mountain Young was thrown from her seat into the path of an oncoming bobsled, her head and chest becoming pinned beneath its wheels. An examination of Young's sled revealed that her seatbelt was not fastened at the time of the accident, but because she was riding alone in the rear car of a sled no one could determine whether or not she had deliberately unfastened her belt.

• 24 December 1998: In a tragic Christmas Eve accident, one Disneyland cast member and two guests were injured (one fatally) when a rope used to secure the sailing ship Columbia as it docked on the Rivers of America tore loose the metal cleat to which it was attached. The cleat sailed through air and struck the heads of two guests who were waiting to board the ship, Luan Phi Dawson, 33, of Duvall, Washington, and his wife, Lieu Thuy Vuong, 43. Dawson was declared brain dead two days later and died when his life support system was disconnected.

This accident resulted in the first guest death in Disneyland's history that was not attributable to any negligence on the part of the guest (it was the result of a combination of insufficiently rigorous ride maintenance and an insufficiently experienced supervisor's assuming an attraction operator's role) and prompted a movement for greater government oversight of theme park operations and safety procedures.

• 5 September 2003: A 22-year-old man, Marcelo Torres of Gardena, California, died, and several other guests were injured, when a locomotive separated from its train along a tunnel section of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Torres bled to death after suffering blunt force trauma of the chest.
funny how the majority of the deaths are just plain stupidity (aka Darwin Awards) of teenagers.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Maybe this refurb is going to add more boats, some bungie cords to tie them together, and conveyor belt load and unload platform and bingo... the world's first floating Omnimover.

Wait.. if they use the same boats that are currently on the ride... scratch the word float from the above.
submarines perhaps?

JediMasterMatt

I said "first" floating Omnimover. WDW will see to it that the Pirates refurb will be finished far in advance of Shanghai's Pirates.

The next bit of news will be that MK's Pirates will have a refurb similar to what the loopers got at Bushwood Country Club:

c--documents_and_settings-klynch-desktop-thingmagic-public_relations-100_uses_of_rfid-blog_posts-november-caddy-day-caddyshack-resized-600.jpg

Just scratch out "Caddy Day" with Pirates Refurb Day.

roj2323

Maybe this refurb is going to add more boats, some bungie cords to tie them together, and conveyor belt load and unload platform and bingo... the world's first floating Omnimover.

Wait.. if they use the same boats that are currently on the ride... scratch the word float from the above.

I'd prefer it be a floating omnimover at this point.

Phineas

I don't know if this has been addressed, but I would love (wishful thinking) if Davey Jones was added back to the waterfall scene instead of Blackbeard. Davey Jones just fits!
That was one of my major complaints with that movie and character: This is Blackbeard-who's supposed to be this notorious villain, and instead he just came off as bored/sleepy. While Davy Jones is a tough act to follow, maybe try to meet him halfway at least?

Sketch105

That was one of my major complaints with that movie and character: This is Blackbeard-who's supposed to be this notorious villain, and instead he just came off as bored/sleepy. While Davy Jones is a tough act to follow, maybe try to meet him halfway at least?

That and I feel like Davy Jones is a better fit for the attraction. Davy Jones is a supernatural beast of the sea who can transport himself, submerged himself below the waves, etc. It makes sense he appears in the waterfall because that's part of his realm.

ToTBellHop

That and I feel like Davy Jones is a better fit for the attraction. Davy Jones is a supernatural beast of the sea who can transport himself, submerged himself below the waves, etc. It makes sense he appears in the waterfall because that's part of his realm.
Indeed. It's absurd for BlackBeard to appear there. But it was cheaper than building an A-A.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom