Sanity Check - Solo trip to WDW

ThatBrunette

Through the magic of points and miles, I am taking a solo trip to WDW next month!

My last trip to WDW was a family trip for MNSSHP in 2013. Planning a trip for a group is different than planning a trip for just me. Last time I was solo in WDW was in 1997 for a friend's wedding.

Should I wear my Ma Beagle costume and meet up with the DisneyBounders?

Does anyone eat alone at Be Our Guest?

Should I stay cheap and do All Sports? (I will be calling AAA tomorrow to see if there are any deals)

I'm not going to sleep tonight!

@HouCuseChickie and @Jessica Meier I am looking to you for advice and mom support. I will also accept you as roommates. Think about it.

HouCuseChickie

Through the magic of points and miles, I am taking a solo trip to WDW next month!

My last trip to WDW was a family trip for MNSSHP in 2013. Planning a trip for a group is different than planning a trip for just me. Last time I was solo in WDW was in 1997 for a friend's wedding.

Should I wear my Ma Beagle costume and meet up with the DisneyBounders?

Should I stay cheap and do All Sports? (I will be calling AAA tomorrow to see if there are any deals)

I'm not going to sleep tonight!

@HouCuseChickie and @Jessica Meier I am looking to you for advice and mom support. I will also accept you as roommates. Think about it.

I soooooooooooooo wish I could join you, but my budget is being stretched thin by the DL/Ski trip as well as a race trip. Oh, and popping into the GF for a bday meal. I have issues :D

That being said...I'm envious! I really want a solo trip! My friends all fear that DH will try and tag along for my race trip.

As for the Ma Beagle...I love that one!!! I'm still mixed on Disney Bounding, though. It's one of those things that I love when I see it, but I'm just not hip enough to pull it off. Instead, I just go for the in your face Disney attire... like how I left the house in a Donald tee, Mickey shorts, Mickey Crocs, and a Disney Dooney the other day. Too bad the kids haven't hit that stage where they'd be embarrassed by such things :hilarious:

Now lodging is a tough one. On one hand, when it's just you, you say you don't need the space and convenience of anything more, but on the other hand...you think about all you're saving by being there on your own and how it could be awesome to go deluxe. I'd even price the Swan and Dolphin in this scenario and see how those price out against all of the Disney properties. I think AAA may no longer be doing Disney deals, BUT they may still be able to swing something for S&D. You can also check Undercover Tourist to compare ticket prices.

Keep us posted. VERY exciting stuff!!!!!!! :happy:

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

@disney4life2008 I would love to hear about your experiences with Sports. Any recommendations?

Of the 3 all stars - sports is my absolute favorite. I always request a room close to the main building and always get building 10 (I think). My only concern is that it is always packed with teenagers and kids - it seems that is the conference resort and the one used by cheerleaders and athletes. However, they have never been a problem. The food court was updated last year and is amazing. They just need the freestyle cola machine :) It seems everyone complains about the buses at the all stars but I have never waited an extended period of time going or coming back. The only long wait is leaving MK at park close. You will have a wonderful time. I am headed on a solo trip at sports may 17 :)

Upvote 0

grim-grinning_toast

The preferred rooms at All Star Sports really are the best. It's the first hotel on the bus route for the All Stars so you're the first on and the first off, the surfing theme is adorable, and the building is close to everything. Some people avoid the All Stars because of all the sports teams staying there, and if that is a big no-no for you - stay deluxe! I have always dreamed of staying deluxe by myself. You can take it slow, enjoy the little things :)

Eating alone at Be Our Guest sounds superb. You can watch the snow fall or pull a Belle and read a book!

I think you'll have such an awesome time. I remember one year, I was separated from my fiance and best friends, but I didn't even fret about it. I just walked around Magic Kingdom and met Ariel and rode some rides. It was so relaxing and SO much fun. You're going to have a blast!!!

Upvote 0

ThatBrunette

Original Poster
A new deal cam out yesterday and took down the system. I can't price check online or call anyone. Any guesses as to when I can call and book?

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

While I haven't done Be Our Guest alone specifically (yet), I've eaten alone at table service restaurants in Disney in both the parks and the resorts many times. If you want to eat at Be Our Guest, go snag a reservation to Be Our Guest. Don't relegate yourself to counter service places because you're traveling solo - you miss out on too much great food that way, and people are far too concerned with what's going on at their own table to be questioning why you are dining on your own.

Have fun!! :)

Upvote 0

Mukta

I ate lunch at BoG by myself. I know it isn't quite the same an dinner, but I have had many solo meals in WDW and I never felt weird or out of place. At most TS places, the server is extra attentive and friendly.

Upvote 0

ThatBrunette

Original Poster
I don't mind eating by myself. I like @grim-grinning_toast idea of bringing a book and doing it Belle-style. It's not embarrassment, it's boredom that keeps me from eating alone.

@JohnD I was planning to do lunch on the 12th! Good idea.

@HouCuseChickie I was on hold for an hour today only to find out that my offer code had expired. I was very irritated but the CM was super nice.

@Mukta I am planning to do lunch! Did you enjoy? Do you have any recommendations?

@Kate Alan you give sound advice. I would be more likely to grab an ear of corn in Liberty Square than actually sit down. I should treat myself.

@disney4life2008 I'm looking for a quiet room. I requested it today but I don't know what I am going to get. It's an off week so I am hoping for low crowds.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I don't mind eating by myself. I like @grim-grinning_toast idea of bringing a book and doing it Belle-style. It's not embarrassment, it's boredom that keeps me from eating alone.

@JohnD I was planning to do lunch on the 12th! Good idea.

@HouCuseChickie I was on hold for an hour today only to find out that my offer code had expired. I was very irritated but the CM was super nice.

@Mukta I am planning to do lunch! Did you enjoy? Do you have any recommendations?

@Kate Alan you give sound advice. I would be more likely to grab an ear of corn in Liberty Square than actually sit down. I should treat myself.

@disney4life2008 I'm looking for a quiet room. I requested it today but I don't know what I am going to get. It's an off week so I am hoping for low crowds.

I arrive in the evening. I managed to snag an evening ADR at BOG!

Upvote 0

ThatBrunette

Original Poster
I chose Sports because it was the cheapest. It's just me so I don't need a lot. If my Offer Code had worked, I would have gone up to the French Quarter.

When I have to plan and coordinate for other people, I take transportation, location and size into consideration. For me, I need a room.

I spent an hour on hold and another hour and a half on the phone with reservations today. I had an offer code that was good for my stay that expired. There was no expiration date on the e-mail and the CM tried, really hard, to get the code to work for me. The only code available is the one for the summer dates.

Airline and hotel are booked. Now for the FastPass+ and ADRs.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

I LOVE alone time at WDW. I never have really done a solo trip, but I have arrived ahead of schedule and waited a few days for my other party members to arrive and I really LOVED the alone time at WDW. My only issue is the twinge of guilt I sometimes feel enjoying WDW without the others...but I get pass that feeling rather quickly

Upvote 0

ThatBrunette

Original Poster
The only FP I wanted was for the Mine Train and it's closed for both days of my trip. Does it have a single rider line? I might make that my first stop in the morning.

Between not getting the discount and not getting the FP, I'm a bit disappointed. What fun things can I do in the park to cheer myself up?

Upvote 0

ThatBrunette

Original Poster
Are the Starbucks cards accepted at the WDW Starbucks? I know the Main Street Bakery is one of them.

If I make a reservation at the SciFi, will I get a car or will I end up facing backwards at the counter?

I have friends that live in the area and some that work for WDW. Should I let them know I am visiting or should I bask in the alone-ness?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom