Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Whether it fits or not, Disney already makes money off the already-existing attractions where the capex, maintenance, etc., is paid for by a third party.

They're not going to kill that golden goose.
I can fully understand that. I would think that they'd look at making more money with DHS and actually do something in the park with that property. I know they are making money now, but it seems like they'd make more with putting them in somewhere.

doctornick

I can fully understand that. I would think that they'd look at making more money with DHS and actually do something in the park with that property. I know they are making money now, but it seems like they'd make more with putting them in somewhere.

The thing is that they can use some Marvel properties -- apparently Guardians of the Galaxy is fair game, so is Big Hero 6 which is kinda Marvel (half Marvel/half Disney I guess if they use the film version). There are probably lesser characters they could use as well. But Disney isn't using them and they aren't doing anything at DLR either. So, the idea that they would be putting Marvel at WDW if only they could use them is probably not supported by Disney's behavior.

JediMasterMatt

Oh, I can finally chime in with some of my nerd powers.

Re: Hulk and the plussing (can we use that word at Uni... actually, I don't think we should use that word in Orlando at all as WDW seems to have forgotten all about the concept recently) - while I don't know anything about the theme changes, I can talk a bit about some of the potential changes that may come to the trains... and maybe a little bit of the track.

The reason for Hulk's "roughness/rattle/shake/head banging" comes down to the trains... actually, more specifically, the wheel assemblies on the trains.

It's no secret in the amusement industry that Bolliger & Mabillard make some of the most reliable and smoothest coasters on the planet. When they arrived on the scene in 1990 with Iron Wolf, they ushered in a new standard in smoothness in steel coasters. This smoothness was somewhat temperamental as it varied throughout Iron Wolf's (now Apocalypse) life and was directly dependent on the condition of the wheels in the wheel assemblies themselves. The amount of smoothness came from keeping all three sets of wheels (road, guide, and upstop) in contact with the rails at all times. As the polyurethane or nylon (depending on the need for hardness based on temperature) wore down, the amount of slop created between the rail and wheel would allow the trains fight their way around the track. Granted, this slop is very, very minor compared to what was common place on the Arrow and Vekoma steel coasters of the day.

The 2nd generation B&M coasters fixed this slop issue by developing their most advanced and in may ways most important contribution to the steel coaster - the spring loaded adjustable wheel assembly. Basically, this allowed the wheels to maintain contact with rail regardless of condition of the tread.

Flash forward to IoA's creation and Universal went to B&M with the bid for Hulk. They mandated a launch and Claude and Walter declined the bid because they didn't want to get into the launch business because at the time, launch systems were very high maintenance and would require their company to assume the liability to make it work. Universal didn't want to go to another vendor for their project, so they came up with a compromise. They (Uni) would assume liability for the launch mechanism and outsource it to MTS Systems and thereby absolving B&M from that part of the project.

The launch system that was selected was a "pinch wheel" pneumatic tire based system. The wheels pinch the chassis of the train and propel it up the track.

To allow this system to work properly, the rubber wheels have to have a bit of wear and tear on them and thus, the train's wheels need a bit of slop in them to accommodate this - thus, negating B&M's greatest strength, keeping all three sets of wheels in contact with the rails at all time. The Hulk's trains are closer in implementation and operation to Iron Wolf's than a current generation B&M. Catch Hulk on a good day or ride and you are catching it when the wheels are fresh and the amount of slop is minimal. Catch it on a bad day and there is more play in the wheel assemblies.

This is why Hulk rides so differently than Dragons and other B&M coasters.

So, what may be happening in Orlando may be connected to the very recent developments in Santa Claus, IN.

http://www.holidayworld.com/rides/thunderbirdsteelrollercoaster/

As of last week, B&M has finally entered into the launched coaster business with the introduction of Thunderbird at Holiday World.

Using LSM technology (just like California Screamin), the Bird launches and is very, very smooth. I was lucky enough to take many dozen laps last Thursday on it and the launch worked seamlessly all day. Great ride as well and the best balanced of the wing rider coasters around.

So, if Universal wants to improve ride quality while at the same time (and more importantly) reduce maintenance on Hulk, it's possible they could swap the launch track out and pickup new trains (maybe floorless while they are at it) and the rattle/shake/rough nature of Hulk would be gone.

Rodan75

Crazy speculation...

Gotta wonder what went into the horse trading? It can't be a coincidence that this rumor is coming out at the same time that Feige and Ruffalo discussed Hulk movie rights still sitting at Uni. This smells like the Spider-Man leak, just enough info to get add an extra push to get a deal completed.

Another thought, even though it feels like forever, DIS has only owned Marvel for 5 years so that could be one reason they haven't built out Marvel at the other parks...but what if they have been negotiating global licensing rights with Uni this whole time. Wouldn't that freak folks out. They already overcharge Comcast for ESPN, why not add Marvel to the list?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I know Disney has been doing some SERIOUS work in planning an eventual DHS Marvel expansion behind RNRC, probably using all of that space occupied by those food stands (which were supposed to be only temporary to begin with) and those offices.

Honestly, Islands could use a booster shot, but I'll be heartbroken if and when they close Spider-Man...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I know Disney has been doing some SERIOUS work in planning an eventual DHS Marvel expansion behind RNRC, probably using all of that space occupied by those food stands (which were supposed to be only temporary to begin with) and those offices.

Honestly, Islands could use a booster shot, but I'll be heartbroken if and when they close Spider-Man...

You mean Disney is going to spend millions of dollars for the rights to Marvel, THEN spend millions of dollars to build something Marvel related when they're barely doing anything with the IP's they have at WDW? Riiiiiiiiight

Lee

Adventurer

Yeah...I'm gonna need to hear more....:cautious:

WDW1974

I admit I hate adding any credibility to Tom Amity's little cry for attention almost as much as some people here have for 'liking' my posts even when they agree with me ...all sounds a 'wittle petty to me.

But I spoke with a very trusted UNI source (who basically has never been wrong about anything ... although I do know there is a first time). He was amused by this 'news' coming out and the furor online over it.

He said that there is nothing to it ''unless something drastically changed in the last week or two'' ... Hulk is getting rebuilt and will continue to be the Hulk, just a whole lot smoother. He added that ''Doom is up in the air (not sure whether a pun was intended) but it's going to see bigger changes than Hulk.''

Marvel and UNI have been talking, but that's largely about these projects and more cosmetic changes coming to MSI. The major attraction planned for IOA is still years away, although -- unlike Disney -- that doesn't mean 2023.

That's really it. He had a few other comments that I'll place in my thread when I get a chance.

WDW1974

The legal implications of doing so would be folly. It is in Universal's best interests to keep it a general Marvel Island. It is hard to project how popular certain characters will be for all eternity.

Good point and nice to see you back, Henry. Hope you don't have one of those Albert plushes as I've been told they're very cheaply made. Give my best to my fans under the scope.

And while island aesthetics will change some, you are absolutely right. The island will always be about the Marvel BRAND in general ... but you just 'may' see a much larger Avengers presence in a few years!

Last edited:

WDW1974

It's overrated. Knowing things is nice, but having to keep them secret is really not.

You're so right (even though I just HATE letting you know that I believe you are!) ... Sometimes, I just want to scream what I know from the top of my lungs just to shut some anonymous folks on a Disney fan forum up. The reality is that I, and others who put info out here that is legit, can't do that. ... And even if we destroyed our sources to make strangers happy, many still wouldn't be. They'd simply accuse them of lying and having agendas, so it all really is a giant circle j---. You either trust the source (even if you don't like his posts like a petulant child) or you don't. And you move on ...

But, yeah, it isn't fun to always know something(s) others don't and not be able to say more than 'I know something that you don't know!'

Last edited:

WDW1974

I'm sorry, but you are severely undervaluing the long term cache of certain Marvel properties -- Spider-Man in particular, which is as timeless as any Disney or Star Wars stuff, but Captain America and the Hulk are up there as well. Iron Man has pretty much entered the public consciousness permanently at this point as well, though is admittedly newer to widespread fame.

Timeless is interesting. Snow White certainly is. Star Wars is (the first three, not the disasters of late). Certain Marvel characters, likely Spidey and the Cap ... not so sure about Hulk or Iron Man ... are as well.

But the question is ''do they belong ... are they a good fit for a Disney theme park?''

And my answer is ''Only in parks that have a Studios conceit.'' I'll have no problem with Spidey taking over the RnRC is Paris as he will. I would love a GotG attraction (if done right) at Disney-MGM. But at MK parks? At places like EPCOT or DAK or TDS? He ll no!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom