Uber?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have not.. But id questions how many drivers would be lurking near wdw. Taxi may be preferable sine they would likely be there and waiting at most disney hotels.. Or nearby at the ttc.

Rob562

The Uber coverage map on the website has expanded to include WDW property and beyond. (Before that the highlighted portion of the map ended at the edge of WDW property)

Going into the app right now shows a few cars driving on/near property. The estimated pickup time listed for a few random points I tried around property were in the 5-9 minute range.

We'll be using Uber a couple times on our upcoming trip during the busy Gay Days weekend, so it'll be interesting to see whether Uber can keep up with demand.

-Rob

snayak

I used Uber to get from the Swan to Animal Kingdom, was quicker than the bus and only $8!

They said they can't pick up at a park since they have to pay parking though (which they add to your bill). Plenty of selection, I think we waited maybe 5 minutes.

I got from the Swan to MCO for about $40 including tolls, I'd imagine Universal would be about the same.

MajesticHandz

I used Uber to get from the Swan to Animal Kingdom, was quicker than the bus and only $8!

They said they can't pick up at a park since they have to pay parking though (which they add to your bill). Plenty of selection, I think we waited maybe 5 minutes.

I got from the Swan to MCO for about $40 including tolls, I'd imagine Universal would be about the same.

And i think the more they wait for you, the more they add to what you have to pay. But on a particular occasion one waited just outside the park for more than 15mins and in the end charged the normal price.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You could rent your own car for less than that.
True, but it a bit of a pain and not possible if you are under 25.

If the price is the same or even a bit more, I would most likely go with the simplicity of Uber or a cab for a one day trip. If I was looking at several days of off property driving, a rental would win out and you could most likely rent for under $40/day.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
H

How much less? I don't mind paying for convenience, and $40 was about the price for 2 in a Mears shared shuttle - Uber was much more convenient than that.
You can probably get a compact rental for $30ish per day if you're at least 25.

You're more worried about being murdered in an Uber - GPS tracking via smartphones- vs. a regular cab??? (Uber is a cab service, just glorified by our technology evolution)
I don't love cabs, either.

Last edited:

snayak

You can probably get a compact rental for $30ish per day if you're at least $25.

So that's basically the same amount once you factor in the tolls to the airport, not to mention the time spent renting a car (for a one way trip to the airport no less) doing paperwork, pick up, and drop off.

Not saying that renting a car over a multi-day stay isn't more economical, it certainly is. But we used Disney transport 95% of the time and uber'd it back to the airport.

Last edited:

Rob562

I figured I'd reply back in this thread about my experiences with Uber on my recent trip.

We were in WDW for 4 nights, staying at POFQ. We used the WDW buses for all of our transport to-from the theme parks, but we were attending events at one of the Hotel Plaza Blvd hotels and thus needed to be able to get between POFQ and that hotel without a lot of transfers or walking.

We also wanted to make a run to a grocery store for some snacks, beverages and alcohol so we went to the Winn Dixie off of 435 NE of WDW property. And we went to Trail's End for breakfast one morning.

Overall we used Uber about 6 or 7 times and had nothing but great experiences with them. All of the drivers were prompt and courteous. Pickup times were about 10 minutes or less. Fares were cheap and well worth the price paid for the convenience. $7 each way on the grocery run (we also lucked into being picked up in a Chevy Tahoe when we had all the groceries), $5 between POFQ and Hotel Plaza Blvd. Even the time we had 2x "surge pricing" because it was after midnight and there werne't many Uber drivers out on the road, our fare back to POFQ was under $9.

The only minor hiccup was one driver was confused on which Hotel Plaza hotel we were at, and he went to the one next door, but it was easily corrected when he called us.

We also learned that when a non-Mears taxi is entering into a Disney resort late at night (it was about 1am, I think) they get much more involved than the usual glance-at-your-ID-and-wave-you-in like during the day. They take the driver's license, car make and model info, license plate, etc. We were sitting at the guard shack for a couple minutes. (The Uber driver was even a part-time Disney CM)
While I appreciate the extra security, after that we had the Uber drivers go to the Returning Guest with ID lane and use our MagicBand to open the gate.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom