A big difference I noticed between Disney and Universal

Tony Perkis

And that's a fair point. Similarly, I think The Dark Knight is held in such esteem is because it was Ledger's last film. (It was good, but of the two main superhero films that year, I think Iron Man was better.)
The Dark Knight is a genre masterpiece and one of the greatest films I've ever seen. Ledger's death helped the film financially, but he was also incredible in that role. That's one of the greatest performances ever, regardless of genre.

Yes, I like it quite a bit more than Iron Man. Iron Man had a pretty great first hour and a very generic second. And the villain sucked.

Disneyhead'71

And? Avatar made a metric butt-ton of money, that hasn't stopped some here from saying Avatarland is the worst idea ever.
A lot of people say a lot of things. But Avatar was one movie that did really well and then the popularity nose dived. It didn't enter into the social mainstream as anything more than a flash in the pan. We shall see how it's popularity holds up when the sequels and the land open up.
F&F is a 14 year old franchise with 7 movies under it's belt, with the last one blowing the roof off the joint. Since Universal has no problem building fast and then replacing it when it's course is run, then I say go for it.

Tony Perkis

A lot of people say a lot of things. But Avatar was one movie that did really well and then the popularity nose dived. It didn't enter into the social mainstream as anything more than a flash in the pan. We shall see how it's popularity holds up when the sequels and the land open up.
F&F is a 14 year old franchise with 7 movies under it's belt, with the last one blowing the roof off the joint. Since Universal has no problem building fast and then replacing it when it's course is run, then I say go for it.
If UC has a great use for the IP, then absolutely go for it. I don't love the franchise, but the films are roller coasters and cartoons anyway. Why not exploit it if the correct effort and resources are both behind it?

TXDisney

Of course more time is wasted getting places bc it's 100 times bigger. When you factor in the resorts, parks and DTD, there's so much to do. You go to either place during busy season and you can't ride all the rides you want in a day. The difference for me is a whole week a disney and I don't want to go home. After 2 days at universal I was done.

BJones82

Frozen's popularity is pretty much limited to young girls.

Hate to break it to you but "young girls" don't spend or account for 1.3 billion in sales... Otherwise there would be a lot more movies at the top of the list that are aimed towards young girls.... As much as it sucks to admit and people don't like to think they are not in the majority... Outside of a small group of people over all Frozen was a hit... and regardless of what that small group says, the rest of the world liked it and wants more.

I know that some parents will take their kids to a movie multiple times if they like it, but lets face it... There have been other movies out which have been liked only by kids that did not make 1.3 billion... Frozen did... That means other people saw it too and other people saw it multiple times. It is the same reason movies like the latest Batman Trilogy, the Avengers movies, the Iron Man movies, or almost anything else with Marvel on it, or F&F make billions of dollars in a short time... repeat viewers in the theaters... If you don't believe me look at the 3rd Matrix movie. It was horrible, it opened up in the US with almost 92 million but only had a life time gross of 281 million... More than 33% of that was in the first week, everyone saw how horrible it was and then never saw it again and it was out of theaters relatively quickly...

Frozen stayed in theaters for almost 6 months which in this day and age is crazy considering movies are generally available to own digitally after only a few months to help fight piracy...

In short: Frozen was liked by more than just young girls, and as much as it sucks we have to accept that and move on...

Edit: Sorry meant to post my source info for the Matrix:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=matrixreloaded.htm

betty rose

A meme is a (usually comical) picture with text used frequently by those not articulate enough to contribute to the conversation using their own words & wit.

Example: If someone is too lazy or inadequate with creativity to express why they may disapprove of someone's comment...they simply post a face palm meme instead.

It's a way of saying: "Look at me everybody! I can Google funny pictures with captions quicker than you can!"

Hope this helps.
It helps a lot thanks.

betty rose

You're over thinking it. Simply, it's a random picture where people have usually entered their own dialog to make a point or to just be humorous.

Here's another
th

One more, just for fun
th
Thanks!

grim-grinning_toast

Walt Frozen World? Your post can be dismissed on its face for such a ridiculous comment. What does WDW have that's Frozen related? A meet and greet and a temporary stage show. Ermahgerd so much Frozen stuff.

Can we please put some effort in as members and stop starting ridiculous threads that could fit perfectly fine within ten different existing threads? It's not the mods' fault because there would need to be hundreds of them to manage it, but this has to be the single most disorganized forum I've ever been a part of because people think that the random Disney thought they had during their morning visit to the bathroom warrants its own thread. Use existing threads, the search function, Google, and Disney's many websites.

I read this before going to bed last night and made a mental note to myself to log back in when I got to work so I could tell you how very much I appreciate this post.

squidward

Original Poster
As noted, only the later entries are the ones that people care about. So that 14 years number should be cut by at least half.

Really?

Adjusted for inflation:

Part 1 - 2001: $201 Million
Part 2 - 2003: $175 million
Part 4 - 2009: $175 million
Part 5 - 2011: $211 million
Part 6 - 2013: $231 million
Part 7 - 2015: $320 million

Seems pretty consistent to me. The last one has gone nuts due to Walkers' death in large part, but they all have done well.

Matt_Black

Really?

Adjusted for inflation:

Part 1 - 2001: $201 Million
Part 2 - 2003: $175 million
Part 4 - 2009: $175 million
Part 5 - 2011: $211 million
Part 6 - 2013: $231 million
Part 7 - 2015: $320 million

Seems pretty consistent to me. The last one has gone nuts due to Walkers' death in large part, but they all have done well.

And? Money does not equal "great, beloved film", otherwise the Transformers films would have several Best Picture Oscars. They don't, which is proof that there is a kind and loving God watching over mankind.

squidward

Original Poster
And? Money does not equal "great, beloved film", otherwise the Transformers films would have several Best Picture Oscars. They don't, which is proof that there is a kind and loving God watching over mankind.

I never said money equaled anything. You said that only the last few movies meant anything to anyone which was clearly wrong. I pointed out your inaccuracy. Done.

What does a film being great and beloved have to do with an Oscar? Many films make a ton of money that don't win Oscars, but obviously if they make money, people like them.

squidward

Original Poster
The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift has a 37% on Rotten Tomatoes. Maybe not so inaccurate.

Dude, you're really grasping at straws. I purposely left that one (as any fan of the series would) because although it technically ties in remotely to the series, none of the main stars were in it. It was a standalone film.

doctornick

Live-action is a much different kettle of fish than animation. Also, when something has proven itself to Disney, Disney makes sure to put effort into KEEPING it that way.

Yeah. Are there really people who think that Frozen won't remain "popular" for the long term? Not the 2014 level of hype, but why wouldn't it plateau at the same level of popularity as other Disney animated films of the type?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom