FP+ questions for Memorial Day week

sbkline

Original Poster
We leave for WDW 26 days from today. Our first Park will be Epcot, on Memorial Day itself, Monday the 25th. We usually go in April and the last time we went was two years ago, before this FP+ system was rolled out. So I am not accustomed to being there on Memorial Day, nor do I have any experience with FP+.

When I made our Fastpasses for Epcot yesterday, I picked Test Track, Spaceship Earth and the Seas with Nemo and Friends. One of my questions is regarding Spaceship Earth. I hardly ever have to wait in line for SSE. Maybe once or twice in all my trips. But I almost always just walk right on that ride. So do I even need a fastpass for that one, or has the new FP+ system (combined with the influx of crowds for Memorial Day) made it necessary to get a FP for it? I almost hate to "waste" a fastpass for a ride that doesn't usually require a fastpass, although I don't mind in this case since all the busiest rides were lumped into a "pick one from this group" option, and then I was given a choice of two out of the rest. The remaining options all tend to be ones for which I usually don't need a fastpass (such as Figment, SSE and some others). However, since I hardly ever do the character spot, because I don't want to wait in line, I thought about getting a FP for it and just doing SSE as a walk on. We usually walk right onto that one multiple times a trip, but I don't want to miss out on it if a fastpass is now required. We have several character meals planned, so we can do without the character spot as well, but I just want to make the best use out of our fastpass options.

Should I get my FP for Spaceship Earth, or the Character Spot?

What about Living with the Land? That is another one that we always walk right onto. We are doing two days at Epcot, so should I concern myself with getting a FP for that one, or is there another attraction which would make a better use of my fastpass?

I have heard conflicting stories of how many fastpasses we are allowed. I was under the impression that, although I only get three at a time initially, once I ride the first ride, I can get a fourth fastpass for later in the day. But a friend at church this morning just went a month or so ago, and he says you can only get three, period.

Where do I go to print my fastpasses from my phone to paper?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Due to FP+, SSE always has a standby wait of at least 20 minutes (higher if during peak periods...we saw it at 45 minutes Easter week) unless you ride right at rope drop or right before close. Sadly, the introduction of FP+ for rides that never had fastpass before has resulted in longer standby waits; attractions that used to be walk-ons always have some sort of line. We waited almost 15 minutes (standby) for Figment and we have never waited for Figment before. Living with the Land, (which should not be a Tier 1 pick IMO) also has a long line unless you go early in the morning. We usually FP Soarin' for mid-to-late morning and ride LWTL first.

If meeting the characters is important, then I would use a FP+ for the Character Spot.

Once you have used your initial 3 FP+ choices, you can go to a kiosk and get a 4th from whatever attractions still have availability (and a 5th after you have used the 4th, and so on...) I was able to get Living With The Land once after using my initial 3. You CANNOT get a 4th until you have used your first 3, or the timeframe has elapsed for the first 3.

You do not need to print your fastpasses. You merely touch your ticket (or MagicBand) to the Mickey scanner. If you are within your hour window for your fastpass, the Mickey head turns green and you are allowed in.

sbkline

Original Poster
Due to FP+, SSE always has a standby wait of at least 20 minutes (higher if during peak periods...we saw it at 45 minutes Easter week) unless you ride right at rope drop or right before close. Sadly, the introduction of FP+ for rides that never had fastpass before has resulted in longer standby waits; attractions that used to be walk-ons always have some sort of line. We waited almost 15 minutes (standby) for Figment and we have never waited for Figment before. Living with the Land, (which should not be a Tier 1 pick IMO) also has a long line unless you go early in the morning. We usually FP Soarin' for mid-to-late morning and ride LWTL first.

Thanks for the info. I have a 9:10-10:10 FP for Test Track, so we could probably go knock out LWTL first thing, then head over to Test Track, just in case lines build up for LWTH.

If meeting the characters is important, then I would use a FP+ for the Character Spot.

It is important, but I like to do character meals so I don't need to feel obligated to waste time in the parks standing in line for characters. We have 8 character meals planned, plus Be Our Guest, where you can meet the Beast on the way out. So we will see plenty of characters, but I just thought if FP was not necessary for many of those rides, I would use it for the character spot, which we never go to. But since we ARE doing alot of character meals, I would probably be more inclined to use a Fastpass for the rides which may now be busier and in more need of a fastpass, and skip the character spot.

Once you have used your initial 3 FP+ choices, you can go to a kiosk and get a 4th from whatever attractions still have availability (and a 5th after you have used the 4th, and so on...) I was able to get Living With The Land once after using my initial 3. You CANNOT get a 4th until you have used your first 3, or the timeframe has elapsed for the first 3.

Thanks for that info. I thought it was that you could get a 4th fastpass after you use the first one. If you have to use all 3 first, I guess I can forget it on the days where I have fastpasses for the evening. By the time I would use up the last one, all the FPs for the day would probably be used up.

You do not need to print your fastpasses. You merely touch your ticket (or MagicBand) to the Mickey scanner. If you are within your hour window for your fastpass, the Mickey head turns green and you are allowed in.

That sounds alot more convenient. But can I scan just one ticket for all the fastpasses, or does everyone in the party need to get out his ticket?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
That sounds alot more convenient. But can I scan just one ticket for all the fastpasses, or does everyone in the party need to get out his ticket?
Everyone in your party needs to scan their ticket; if you have small children, you can do it for them.

And you *may* be able to get additional evening fastpasses in the MK after you have used your initial 3, but doubtful in any other park.

Mukta

Spaceship Earth, LWTL and Imagination all used to be walk-ons for me. Since FPP, I haven't walked onto any of them unless I was there at RD or the very, very end of the night.

I always get an FPP for Spaceship Earth these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom