Who's been to Trader Sam's lately?

polynesiangirl

Original Poster
Anyone been to Trader Sam's in the last month or two?

This is a MUST-see for my husband and I on the next trip. Since we're traveling with children we obviously need to go earlier rather than later, particularly because of the age cutoff after 8pm. Ideally I'd like to go right around the time it opens for the day.

Do we need to plan to get there WAY early? If we arrive around the time it opens on a given day, is it already going to be jammed? Or would showing up around 4 mean a relatively short wait or possibly no wait?

I know wait times will fluctuate with crowd levels; I'm just looking for a general feel.

edit: I'm an idiot and just remembered this basically JUST opened. Excuse my reference to "the last month or two". Let's go with "since the week after it opened!" ;)

polynesiangirl

Original Poster
Ouch! Two hours, man. OK, well this is good to know. It might be better by September, but either way I'm going to plan to get there nice and early. I can spend my wait time tormenting myself by visiting the new Poly lobby for the first time. :cry:

dolce20

This past week it was a 90 min wait to get a drink. Get this: I couldn't even step inside. Once I got to the podium the CM informed me that due to fire code, I couldn't even step one foot inside to look around! I understood, of course..totally bummed tho! Looks amazing inside!!!! ..but way too small. :(

BuddyThomas

This past week it was a 90 min wait to get a drink. Get this: I couldn't even step inside. Once I got to the podium the CM informed me that due to fire code, I couldn't even step one foot inside to look around! I understood, of course..totally bummed tho! Looks amazing inside!!!! ..but way too small. :(
Did you eventually get inside? If so, how long from the time you got in the door until you were able to get a drink? And was the drink any good? Thanks!

ItlngrlBella

This is depressing - I hope the crowds die down so we can go when we are in town on family business on July - it's our only Disney-stop.

JCtheparrothead

I was there a couple of weeks ago at about 8 pm and it was still a 1 1/2 hour wait. Great place but they have to find their groove because everything seemed forced to me. Disneylands version is still my favorite.

JDMom

Remind me, how late is the last group let in? I'm thinking after dinner at Raglan Road, heading over to the Poly @9 w/out the teens and hubby & I trying to get in. I want to go, but not lose that many hours on a park day!

ItlngrlBella

My hubs just got into Orlando for his NSM and some of his team want to go out tonight. They are thinking Trader Sam's. He's texting me questions - I don't know...

1. If they cab it, do they have to pay an entrance fee to get on-property?

2. Are the animatronic effects run for certain drinks ordered it is it random? (Not sure why this matters - they can find it out when they get there.)

It's either that or Citywalk.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
My hubs just got into Orlando for his NSM and some of his team want to go out tonight. They are thinking Trader Sam's. He's texting me questions - I don't know...

2. Are the animatronic effects run for certain drinks ordered it is it random? (Not sure why this matters - they can find it out when they get there.)

We sat on the Tiki Terrace tonight. We could have gone inside (6:30 ish) but there were no tables available, standing room only.

There is no entrance fee to get on property. Cab can just drop them at the Poly.

Can't answer the special effects question since we sat outside. My daughter enjoyed a Nautilus all by herself though! (It serves 2).

ItlngrlBella

I think they're getting dinner first and then heading over - hopefully the crowd calms down by the time they get there. I will let him know! Thanks!

JasonDeyoung

Yes the animatronics only go off when certain drinks are ordered. Basically the drinks on the menu with the suvenior glasses will get something in the bar or bartenders to do a skit
Also it is only open till midnight every night

Blairnicol

Going in September will def help you out. I would avoid a weekend, if possible. When the pager goes off it just indicates that a table your size has received it's check. It's a somewhat flawed system as many people sit around long after their check is delivered. I hope they revisit how that works-I saw lots of confused people when we were there.

I think we went around 10:30pm & had a 30ish min wait on a Thursday night for 2 people. This was on Memorial Day weekend the night before the 24hr party. It was extremely fun & will be a must-do moving forward. I didn't mind waiting on the terrace as the Dole Whip/rum concoction that you can't get once inside is to.die.for.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
They really need to refine the pager system. The pager going off simply means you're granted admittance to the bar area, it does not mean there is a table for you. Because of this, there are always people awkwardly standing around look, as a poster above said, very confused.

Jon81uk

They really need to refine the pager system. The pager going off simply means you're granted admittance to the bar area, it does not mean there is a table for you. Because of this, there are always people awkwardly standing around look, as a poster above said, very confused.

The bar has a fire code capacity of something like 60 people, but not enough seats for 60. So all the pager return means is that they are allowed to admit you, no guarentee of a table. Remember it is a bar/lounge so tables are never reserved, its always first come first served, the wait is just to get in.

JasonDeyoung

It's also very small inside. I think capacity is actually 50 but I could be wrong. If ur there at 4 you should get inside otherwise take the patio it's actually really nice, more quiet and have live music and great views

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom