GoPro tips and tricks for WDW

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster
I just bought a GoPro Hero4 Silver and plan on using it for our trip to Disney World in October. What are some tips or tricks that worked out for you? What mounts did you use and which ones do you like best for filming rides and for walking around the parks?

Jahona

After using gimbals on my quadcopters I never realized just how amazing they could be.

They have hand held gimbals but those are going to be somewhat expensive. Relatively cheap when you think of the technology going in them. I'll be bringing mine with me in July.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1108665-REG/feiyu_gm_g4_gimbal_stabilizer_for_gopro.html

There's nothing like buttery smooth video on rides.

Also the LCD backplate and extra batterys are going to help a bit. You can use the phone app as a viewfinder but that may become cumbersome.

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster
I have looked into gimbals a little. I was looking at the steadicam curve, but I started seeing some bad reviews on it. The Feiyu G4 looks awesome, just don't want to spend that much right now after just buying the camera.

I did order 2 extra batteries made by Smatree that also came with a 3 bank charger.

Also the Hero4 Silver has a LCD screen built in.

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster
The Hero4 Silver has the built in LCD screen. The Hero4 Black does not have the LCD, but has some professional type settings that the Silver does not have.

NowInc

First tip has to be to invest in extra batteries. You already have that covered. GoPros drink power like no other device ive used.

Avoid putting the camera on a long pole. Not only is it annoying, but you will not be happy with the results. Instead, invest in a handheld gimble (see below)

The mobile app is going to be your best friend. It's "real time" preview of what its looking at.

The built in mic is "passable" but don't get upset at the quality. It can only do so much.

For your handheld gimble uses, you did say you looked at this...its cheap...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I just bought a GoPro Hero4 Silver and plan on using it for our trip to Disney World in October. What are some tips or tricks that worked out for you? What mounts did you use and which ones do you like best for filming rides and for walking around the parks?
Head or chest for walking the park, wrist or chest mount for rides.

Batteries, as mentioned, are a must. The Black I have sucks them up. Probably worth investing in an extra charger as well for the hotel room.

Also, invest in a few spare SD cards if you plan to be taking a lot of footage. The files can get HUGE. Sandisk Extremes are a good choice, or Sandisk Extreme Plus (The best, imho...but they are pricey).

Here's one I did with the head mount on the Disney Fantasy.

NowInc

Also, invest in a few spare SD cards if you plan to be taking a lot of footage. The files can get HUGE. Sandisk Extremes are a good choice, or Sandisk Extreme Plus (The best, imho...but they are pricey).

Bestbuy will price match a lot of places..including amazon and B&H. Usually both of those sites have cards pretty cheap. Just go to bestbuy and make them match (to avoid having to wait on shipping)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This I knew. I just didn't know that the silver had one built in. Honestly for the Black I would just suggest the Battery BacPac instead of the screen. You can always use the phone to get composition.
I'd agree. I own the screen, but rarely used it. I preferred battery life, and the screen didn't bring much to the party in terms of usability once you get familiar with the LCD displays and/or the app. <grin>

That said, I didn't think any of them came with a screen. I always assumed it was an optional accessory. Maybe it is part of a bundle?

BillyBuff

I have the Steadicam Curve but haven't had time to open it up to try it out. I got it because it was cheaper than the Feiyu. But that's like comparing apples to coconuts. The Steadicam Curve needs a lot of practice. Plus majority of the reviews were about the size of the handle....which should only fit 3 fingers as per Tiffen's website.

I'll try to set it up this weekend and shoot some test footages.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm trying to avoid showing the DW that I bought this so I haven't gone out to test it yet. But I did unboxed and set it up. It was pretty easy to balance!

Not a bad gimbal setup. Not sure if it's really needed...

I'd like to see you do some with / without comparisons before I dropped money into it.

Also, it looks rather uncomfortable for long term use...

Slow rides, I could see it being interesting...but that's about it when compared to a head mount or body mount.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom