New Center Stage at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

Can someone give a summary about the stage: is it a permanent stage or will it be added and removed based on need? And will it raise and lower into the ground or is that just wishful thinking?
Nobody knows, it is a bigger secret then the invasion of Normandy! Anyone who tells will be shot as a traitor. ;)

It's Disney's new motto... "If we can't be great at least be quiet about it."

Tom

Beta Return
I'm guessing the deal was to get the stupid hat demolition going, while they finished negotiations and design of whatever was to be built in its place.....but the demolition took less time than their planning.

That's all I can figure, because there's no other logical explanation for them not being done.

roj2323

I'm guessing the deal was to get the stupid hat demolition going, while they finished negotiations and design of whatever was to be built in its place.....but the demolition took less time than their planning.

That's all I can figure, because there's no other logical explanation for them not being done.
Other than perhaps a lot of buried work. Everything from wire conduit to concrete takes time. Additionally if they are actually building a stage that pops out of the ground I'm sure that takes some additional time to make sure everything is set perfectly.

The thing is, if you have worked in the construction industry for any length of time you understand that little problems can really screw with a construction schedule. You do your best to make up the time but sometimes its just an unavoidable part of the process. Back when i was doing concrete work i seen jobs delayed for 2 weeks because of one significant rain storm. I've also seen multi day delays because the building inspectors were behind schedule. Other delays could be for a material shortage or even your coworker having to take a few days off because the kids are sick. The point I'm trying to make here is you have no idea as to why there is a delay in the construction and arbitrarily placing a completion date (before the permit expiration date) on the project is completely ridiculous.

Disneyhead'71

Other than perhaps a lot of buried work. Everything from wire conduit to concrete takes time. Additionally if they are actually building a stage that pops out of the ground I'm sure that takes some additional time to make sure everything is set perfectly.

The thing is, if you have worked in the construction industry for any length of time you understand that little problems can really screw with a construction schedule. You do your best to make up the time but sometimes its just an unavoidable part of the process. Back when i was doing concrete work i seen jobs delayed for 2 weeks because of one significant rain storm. I've also seen multi day delays because the building inspectors were behind schedule. Other delays could be for a material shortage or even your coworker having to take a few days off because the kids are sick. The point I'm trying to make here is you have no idea as to why there is a delay in the construction and arbitrarily placing a completion date (before the permit expiration date) on the project is completely ridiculous.
Disney must encounter major unexpected problems with every construction project then. It's taken them almost two years to build a glorified sidewalk around Main Street U.S.A.

Marlins1

Disney must encounter major unexpected problems with every construction project then. It's taken them almost two years to build a glorified sidewalk around Main Street U.S.A.
Seems like many projects start slow and then have a crazy rush to meet a deadline. South end of Hub and Poly lava pool both seemed like torn up disaster areas with hardly any work going on for months. Then suddenly there are dozens of workers and rapid transformation with pretty impressive final results.

djkidkaz

You'd be surprised at all the problems that come up. Especially when these parks are 30 and 40 years old and construction regulations were different back then. I know of a project where they tore up a small area so they could move a bus stop back for safety reasons. Once they got to digging there were unexpected pipes that weren't listed anywhere for them to know about. So a project that should take a couple days now gets drawn out because you have to figure out what are these pipes, where do they go, does moving them have an effect on other things. So while all these things have to be figured out, the construction team gets pulled elsewhere and voila, you now have a project sitting dormant and half finished until the answers come through and the crew can get back to it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Seems like many projects start slow and then have a crazy rush to meet a deadline. South end of Hub and Poly lava pool both seemed like torn up disaster areas with hardly any work going on for months. Then suddenly there are dozens of workers and rapid transformation with pretty impressive final results.

With the hub at least I also think it's a question of the nature of the work at the start compared to the end. When they were doing major excavation and creating the new bridge structures there are only so many workers you can throw at the work at one time. When you get down to the details like landscaping and such you can be doing much more work in parallel.

articos

One of the main reasons things go slower than we would like is lack of resources/vendor availability. There are a limited number of specialized contractors or vendors who are available and certified to do the work. One of problems we run into is simply scheduling availability to get the right people/available workers/equipment in the same place at the right time so that the next phase can continue. There have been many projects over the past 5 years where we've had to delay because we can't get the right combination of people and equipment in for weeks on end. On top of that, if they are needed on a higher profile project or that other project has other work that is being held up, then something like this may get bumped in favor of their being able to do the work on another site on property, knowing this work may not take as long and we can fit it in somewhere soon.

wdizneew

Posted on Facebook by orlando attractions mag

22323_10153234549589330_6680286381580035938_n.jpg

11173343_10153234549639330_5262878714815111770_n.jpg

11011612_10153234549689330_433882950283812201_n.jpg

Walls are down. Looks like landscaping work is being done before the planter wall is removed.

Tom

Beta Return

I'm extremely aware of how construction works.

There should be no surprises on this site. The plans from the Hat construction are readily available, and there won't be anything underground they didn't know about when it was built.

And you don't start a project in the middle a theme park, in front of a park icon, until all materials are on hand.

And manpower shouldn't be an issue, since there was likely a schedule issued with the Bid Docs, meaning everyone bidding had agreed to the schedule in advance. In central Florida, rain would have been taken into consideration.

None of these items should be issues.

JohnD

They need some kind of stage for SWW which begins 5/15. I'll be in HS on 5/16. Will be interesting to see what's there.

If it's the same temporary stage from last year, it will have light fixtures in the shape of the Millenium Falcon and will obviously block the theatre, particularly if it has a backdrop.

MagicHappens1971

They need some kind of stage for SWW which begins 5/15. I'll be in HS on 5/16. Will be interesting to see what's there.

If it's the same temporary stage from last year, it will have light fixtures in the shape of the Millenium Falcon and will obviously block the theatre, particularly if it has a backdrop.
Can't the Temp stage not have a backdrop? Or a backdrop similar to a projector screen rolling up and down? Also, would it be stupid to think that they'll have the poles on the stage lowered? Like when the stage isn't physically in use? I doubt it but just wondering

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom