Flexibility of the DDP

brightside66

Original Poster
This is my first post so hope I've done this right.! Anyhow we are due to visit Disney in June from the UK for 16 nights staying at Saratoga Springs. We have the DDP, all our reservations are now booked. My youngest daughter (15) is a fussy eater and my oldest (18) is a vegetarianI have 2 questions: 1) my youngest would prefer to choose from the children's menu, how flexible are they to this? 2) some of the vegetarian choices are limited so are the restaurants open to rustling something up that is not on the menu? On countdown 57 days to go

EmmieSue

I can answer your first question for sure. They will let you order off the kids menu even as an adult. Sometimes they even give them in adult size portions, but sometimes not.

I am not sure about your second question, but I do know that Disney is very good at making accommodations for people and my guess is that most places, within reason, will make sure there is something she will eat.

Hope you guys have a great trip!

CAPTAIN HOOK

2) some of the vegetarian choices are limited so are the restaurants open to rustling something up that is not on the menu?
Within reason, yes. Whether that would still count as a DP meal I don't know.

Best bet is to use the freephone UK tele number (or email) and speak with guest relations

Welcome aboard

ToTBellHop

Isn't there a way to have a note added to dining reservations that someone in your party is vegetarian? Sit downs can certainly whip something up for you within reason. For example, when my wife was pregnant, she wanted to avoid any items cooked in alcohol and at Ohana there were happy to make her a special portion of one of the meats that is normally cooked in alcohol. Just ask at check-in. You can also call each restaurant a few days out to make a request.

mom2of2

no need to call, just ask your server for vegetarian options. As for your other child, some restaurants do have child portions they can make into adult options for the DP but not every restaurant can. You can always ask for a children's meal and pay OOP

CaptainAmerica

If you're going to be ordering vegetarian and children's meals, there's zero chance that the dining plan will be a good value. You need to be ordering beef and salmon at almost every meal for it to be worth it. Honestly you'd be much better off paying cash for your meals and then you'll have all the flexibility you desire and it'll be cheaper to boot. Unless of course you're getting some kind of promotional rate on the DDP, in which case ignore me.

Honestly though, on a trip that long you stand to lose HUNDREDS of dollars if you order as described in your OP.

HouCuseChickie

If you're going to be ordering vegetarian and children's meals, there's zero chance that the dining plan will be a good value. You need to be ordering beef and salmon at almost every meal for it to be worth it. Honestly you'd be much better off paying cash for your meals and then you'll have all the flexibility you desire and it'll be cheaper to boot. Unless of course you're getting some kind of promotional rate on the DDP, in which case ignore me.

Honestly though, on a trip that long you stand to lose HUNDREDS of dollars if you order as described in your OP.

True, but if they're coming from the UK...they may be on one of the UK packages. The UK discount packages usually include free dining, 35% off deluxe accommodations, $200 spending $, and 14 day special tickets that cover all parks and some other goodies. Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are the most common resorts for them to offer these pkgs, so it's likely OP is getting one of these awesome deals only offered in the UK.

brightside66

Original Poster
All; thanks for the advice. Yes we are on a UK package thats real great value, including free DDP for all 16 nights of our stay. I don't think I would 'pay' for the DDP. Something I had not considered though is the option of paying for a childs meal, though i'm not sure if that would be allowed, she is 15!. If we can do that then we could just use 3 of our DDP sit downs on the occasions there is nothing on the main menu that she fancies, and so open up some more booking options. We have used 2 for both the Hoop dee doo and Aloha shows (though not sure if thats our final decision, this is my post on it http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/show-time-hoop-dee-doo-vs-spirit-of-aloha-or-both.898603/ . So we have 2 days with no sit down plans. Anyhow all sit downs, shows and fast passes are now is booked, have checked in on-line so just counting the days. 55 to go! Will be there for the 4th July this year too. Can't wait to be back in the US, this will be our third visit to Disneyworld.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
You will not be allowed to pay a child's meal price at a table service restaurant. Your daughter can order off the child's menu (or request a special made dish) but the portion will be "adult sized" and so will the price ;).

brightside66

Original Poster
Yeah thought that idea was too good to be true. Anyhow can't really complain with the DDP plans we have and it was included ('free!') within our package anyway. She does like steak so she may be living off that for 2 weeks!

mom2of2

You will not be allowed to pay a child's meal price at a table service restaurant. Your daughter can order off the child's menu (or request a special made dish) but the portion will be "adult sized" and so will the price ;).

depends on the restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom