How did you find your Disney partner?

Stpdfw

Original Poster
Hello! I see so many of you all have spouses/partners/friends, etc. who love going to Disney. Would anyone be up for sharing how this came about for you? Did you convert someone who thought they wouldn't like the parks? Did they convert you? Did you both share the love from the time you met? Is it a friend you just found out would be willing to go on a trip?

Thank you for sharing any stories!

I'be always gone to WDW with my parents or school. Only once have I gone with a friend. She didn't love it! Boo.

Journey_On

I met my current DBF through a Disney group on FB that gets together for meets every now and then. He was a huge Disney fan long before we met. Since we've been together, we've enjoyed exploring other theme parks in the area, as well as other local attractions. :)

CAPTAIN HOOK

My wife and I had been married 8 years prior to our first ever Disney trip.

We had two small girls who had many, many Disney films on VHS tapes (that long ago) that we all enjoyed watching, and I guess that a trip to WDW was the next logical step.

Goofyernmost

No, in spite of many trips my X didn't ever seem to jell to it. She never complained about it and every once in a while, I thought I saw a glimmer of enjoyment enter her face, but, she never really got into it. I think it was her very straight laced, old time, English temperament and upbringing. I'm sure that she felt that Disney was way below her status as an adult. At any rate, I have pictures of her sitting on a bench looking like she just go out of a very unsuccessful tax audit.

belledream

Grew up going to Disney on many family trips each year. Met my boyfriend right at the beginning of college and never stopped talking about Disney, which compelled him to go on a his first trip with his mom, and he fell in love with it as well (as I remember it, his immediate answer about his favorite thing was 'the customer service' lol), then we started going once a year, and never looked back. :) Celebrating our honeymoon this fall with a Land & Sea spectacular!

ItlngrlBella

I converted him. My husband had never been on a vacation - growing up his family was on a limited income with 5 kids so vacations never happened.

When we were dating and just out of college starting in our careers, I made him go. Mission accomplished: He was hooked.

After that trip he talked his family into going - so his Dad, Mom, Aunt, cousin, sister, bro-in-law and 2 nieces and I all went. His Dad was against it but the whole family went and he begrudgingly went along and complained until his motorized scooter hit Mainstreet - he took off full throttle down the middle of Mainstreet toward the castle, with a big smile on his face! He laughed so hard on all of the rides. Mission accomplished: We converted his Dad. :)

We then took our first daughter at 3 and a couple years ago with both our daughters (3 and 7). We hope to go again in the next year or so.

So, he's been there 4 times.
He's addicted - our budget allows us to go every 3 years.

Last edited:

aw14

I had never been to WDW until my DW and I graduated college in '98. Our graduation present was my first trip there. Been hooked ever since. Now our DD at 12 has been 6 times :)

erasure fan1

Met my wife in tennis class in college, got to talking, found out she was as huge a Muppet fan as I was. We started dating after the class ended and 2yrs later we planned a big trip to Disney since she and her parents had never been there. After that trip she was hooked and so were her parents and have been going ever since. I guess you could say it was our rainbow connection.:D

Ironace

I have been visiting WDW as far back as I can remember, I'd say since I was about 3 or 4. Over 30 years of magic. My wife's first time was in 2013 and she fell in love with it instantly. We returned in 2014 and are planning to go again in 2016 and a surf and turf in 2017. She grew up going to Myrtle Beach and we now do a rotation of beach, Disney, beach, Disney.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I grew up going to WDW quite a bit, my mom and I were the big Disney fans in the family (we even had a shared Disneyana collection). My husband had been twice, once when he was really little and didn't remember it. The second time he went his dad had recently passed away and his mom thought it might be a good place to go and reconnect as a family, my husband complains about it because he said his mom and sisters didn't really want to go on any attractions and wanted to be by the pool Even though he was 16 years old he wasn't allowed to go off by himself, so he didn't have much fun. He had never even ridden Big Thunder Mountain!

So we met on a blind date and got married about a year later. I wanted to get married in WDW he balked at that but we compromised on having the honeymoon at WDW. He never understood my fascination but put up with it because he is a Star Wars fan. THEN we went on our honeymoon and he totally got it and was hooked. He said his experience with me totally blew him away! He never knew how much fun, interesting, and historical it could be until he went with me. Now even though we travel other places we go to a Disney park every year. This year we are doing DLP and DL and it was his eagerness to book the DL trip too!

RubyLee

I've gone with various friends/boyfriends over the years but my most consistent (& fun) Disney partner is the sibling!!! We have the same Disney vacation style from years and years of family trips and doing all the "rituals" we developed as kids makes my trip every time. Not to say I haven't had fun with others but it can be awkward if there isn't the same level of love there.

draybook

We were married in 2001(3 days before 9/11) but we didn't venture to the House of the Mouse until 2008. One day while I was watching television, that Visit California commercial came on with Vanessa Williams and Mickey and Minnie. I had a rush of memories as a kid at DL go through my mind and I called out for my wife. I told her that we were going to Disney, either on the west coast or the east, her choice. She had been once as a 2 year old but had very limited memory of it.

It took some convincing and she was a bit skiddish about it at first, but that first trip had her and the kids hooked. In the 7 years we've been going we have now completed 10 trips with $11 coming this September.

Here's that commercial:

betty rose

I converted him. My husband had never been on a vacation - growing up his family was on a limited income with 5 kids so vacations never happened.

When we were dating and just out of college starting in our careers, I made him go. Mission accomplished: He was hooked.

After that trip he talked his family into going - so his Dad, Mom, Aunt, cousin, sister, bro-in-law and 2 nieces and I all went. His Dad was against it but the whole family went and he begrudgingly went along and complained until his motorized scooter hit Mainstreet - he took off full throttle down the middle of Mainstreet toward the castle, with a big smile on his face! He laughed so hard on all of the rides. Mission accomplished: We converted his Dad. :)

We then took our first daughter at 3 and a couple years ago with both our daughters (3 and 7). We hope to go again in the next year or so.

So, he's been there 4 times.
He's addicted - our budget allows us to go every 3 years.
My husband and I both went after one year of marriage, we saw and were hooked. Been going since 71. We are going to celebrate our 47 anniversary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom