Poor Carousel Of Progress

zurgandfriend

Got you all beat. I saw it first at the New York World's Fair. It will be 50 years this summer. Love it then and still do!!

I saw CoP for first time at the NYC world's fair as well. I also saw IASW there and if memory serves the city of the future in the people mover was from the General Motors exhibit. I also still love them after all these years.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Why would IASW move to Epcot? I know Disney tries to force things in that park that don't belong, but IASW is a stretch...
It's a Small World first premiered at the Worlds Fair as well as Caroucel of Progress. Epcot wouldn't be a bad spot at all and some extra attractions that fit the setting would do Epcot pretty well in my opinion. If Walt Disney were alive for Disney World they would probably end up there any way.

For me, CoP represents a lot of what Walt Disney was about, and thus I still love it even if it's not my fav. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" was one of Walt's favorites, and the Sherman brothers wrote it for/about Walt. The earlier portion of this will forever be one of my favorite videos of Walt:

wdizneew

It's an amazing system of moving people, just like the omnimover concept. COP can churn through guests because of its ingenuous deign. If you get there and there is no line, it just rotated 5 minutes ago and could seat well over 100 guests. It's constantly eating the crowds, so it's hard to judge how crowded it really is. I see people going in all the time.

Wait until they add fastpass+ to it lol only 2 of the theaters will be used for standby and single rider ;)

Joking aside, I agree the CoP system is amazing! It annoys me to see attractions with fp+ when they were designed to let a constant flow of people go in and out *cough Peter Pan's Flight cough* (the new interactive queue is pretty sweet though).

HollyAD

COP is a great stop to make when it's crazy hot outside and you want to sit back and relax a little. I haven't done it in a few years but I always enjoy a classic!

Stefan8

Yeah there isn't anything "poor" about this attraction. Wait times or how busy a ride is don't mean everything.

I don't think it gets refurbished because even with a refurb, most people wouldn't ride it. Hell, before I became a Disney dork I thought it was as boring and cheesy as the American Adventure, and most people seem to feel as such.

CoP is far more boring and cheesy than American Adventure. You don't like that show?
Ouch, Capt America caught you criticizing the American Adventure. Good luck!

CaptainAmerica

Ouch, Capt America caught you criticizing the American Adventure. Good luck!
giphy.gif

Chef Mickey

I don't think it gets refurbished because even with a refurb, most people wouldn't ride it. Hell, before I became a Disney dork I thought it was as boring and cheesy as the American Adventure, and most people seem to feel as such.
You must be new here.

American Adventure, cheesy? It's a beautiful show and an incredible display of engineering and imagineering.

I suppose you can have an opinion on anything and not be wrong, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous and unfair to take any shot at one of the best shows on property. It's classy and pays respect to America.

Perhaps you feel a montage of American achievement can be deemed "cheesy" or cliche, but there are so many elements to the show that are amazing. It's not like they slapped Benjamin Franklin up on stage narrating a projection movie on a screen behind him. There are 35 audio animatronics telling the story of America in a stunning theater full of history and detail.

It saddens me that people can find fault with almost anything, no matter how well done. American Adventure is one of the attractions at Disney where you can actually see no expense was spared and they really did it justice from start to finish. It's absolutely not cheesy.

Last edited:

Bugz

Yeah me to first went in 1978 and I would be very sad if something ever happened to that ride I love it as does my wife and 15 years old son , its a tradition we will be on it in july ! woohoo!!:joyfull:

Phineas

I think the CoP could at least stand a reworking of the final scene. That's supposed to be the "future", and I do think it's amusing to hear the family singing the praises of laser discs.

That, and some general cleaning up would go a long way for CoP. Maybe when they finally re-work Tomorrowland they'll move it somewhere less hidden and tucked away.

MissM

We rode it two saturdays ago because we came out of Space Mountain on the PeopleMover to discover it was pouring. We love CoP anyway but this was a perfect excuse.

And I'll tell you what, they recently must have done some lighting work and improvements. Looked better than I'd seen it in years! You could see through the side scrim scenes SO WELL and the overall set lightning was bright and vibrant. I don't know when it happened, but the lighting really looked excellent in all four scenes.

Goofyernmost

In that case it think it is safe to say that you can leave the word "Disney" off from "Disney Dork".

Chef Mickey

I think the CoP could at least stand a reworking of the final scene. That's supposed to be the "future", and I do think it's amusing to hear the family singing the praises of laser discs.

That, and some general cleaning up would go a long way for CoP. Maybe when they finally re-work Tomorrowland they'll move it somewhere less hidden and tucked away.
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I don't see the last scene as needing a massive update to be "even more" futuristic. It's really more about the "idea" of tomorrow.

I mean, honestly, what are you going to do to make the final scene futuristic? Have everyone on their smart phone, not talking to each other? Flying around in personalized space vehicles? Living on the moon?

Of course, I jest, but I'm merely pointing out that the theme of the last scene is "what will they think of next?" They are clearly living in modern day, even at the time it was produced. All the technology they are using actually existed at the time, so it's not really about futuristic style living.

The only things they really need to do is cut out audio that talks about "car phones" and "laser discs" and perhaps update their wardrobes. Everything else is fine. Voice automation, virtual reality, and discussing the future are all still relevant enough today. It's just showing you there is a lot more to look forward to and they've come so far since the first scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom