Appalling state of the monorail cabins

s8film40

Sorta a magic band for the monorail. More info for TDO, some benefit to guests.
Not really the same as Magic Band. However in a fully automated system they could put scanners at the monorail entrances to count the number of Magic Bands (guests) and feed this into the automation system so that it could make adjustments based on guest flow.

Flalex72

This kind of thinking is really the real problem with human dispatched trains.

Here's a hypothetical example imagine this is the express beam. A driver (Train 1) at MK station notices their train isn't anywhere near full sees a large group coming up and waits. Meanwhile the train behind this driver (Train 2) is approaching the Contemporary. The large group is followed by another large group so the driver doesn't want to cut it off, after all those people just watched him wait for the other group. Now the train in front of this driver (Train 3) is loading at TTC and the train behind is just pulling up to the hold point for MK. All the people on their way to MK are now hearing the driver of their train (Train 2) say they are holding for traffic clearance. Finally the first driver (Train 1) closes up and heads off, at the same time the train in front of him (Train 3) just pulled out of TTC. The guests that just walked up the ramp at TTC are now waiting for the train that is just then leaving MK, they will now have an extended wait. Now (Train 2) finally makes it's way into the MK the extra time it waited at the hold point will ensure that (Train 3) has to also wait at the MK hold point. Train 1 is now passing the Polynesian, Train 2 is finishing up loading at MK and Train 3 is holding to get to the MK. Meanwhile with the extended wait theres now a fairly large group waiting at TTC. Train 1 will take a little longer than it should to load as a result, however train 2 and 3 are right behind Train 1 and as a result there are only a few people on the platforms so their station time is very low. As a result of this cycle created Train 1 will now experience a larger amount of guests at each station and will have longer station times while the other two trains experience a low number of guests and virtually no station times. Until corrected the system as a whole is now operating as if there were only one or two trains instead of three. Guests will have longer waits and more crowded trains all because one driver wanted to wait for a few more guests. This happens every day at WDW and this type of activity is what generally makes a "slow" driver rather than driving skills. The advantage to an automated system is it makes these decisions knowing where the other trains are, it knows that the next train is on the way and regardless of people trying to catch the one in the station it dispatches it out of the way.

The situation you have just described, bunching, is a very common problem across all forms of public transport. It's made worse at WDW by the fact that the lines are circles and not linear, so they problems compound over the time. Other public transit operators actively avoid circles for line management purposes, so trains can wait at the terminus to get back on schedule. London's circle line was converted to a loop with a spur for this reason.

It will be important for train crews to have a good idea of what their target time is, possibly in the form of real-time information, and that they are empowered to close the doors in order to meet it. In your scenario, this might mean closing the doors early, so that by the time the group arrives the train is departing, and the next one is on it's way. Should something delay a train though, the software should smooth the delay out over time by reducing the dwell time goals for the delayed train, and delaying the other trains to reduce bunching.

Sorta a magic band for the monorail. More info for TDO, some benefit to guests.

Not really the same as Magic Band. However in a fully automated system they could put scanners at the monorail entrances to count the number of Magic Bands (guests) and feed this into the automation system so that it could make adjustments based on guest flow.

It's a NGE for the monorail in the sense that it's a massive technological improvement, that guests might not readily see the benefit from.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Don't take it that I'm for people losing jobs, especially skilled people like good monorail drivers, but the current effort of automating the trains should make all "drivers" equally skilled and all trains run "fast" thus improving most aspects of the system, no?

Only if the SYSTEM is maintained, There is a reason why most 'fully' automated train systems are maintained to the point of OCD, If something goes wrong even something as minor as a breaker tripping there is NO ONE TO FIX IT and the passengers are going to be stuck for hours until a tech comes along and repairs the train.

I'm not seeing how Disney's maintenance culture and fully automated systems promise 'good things' will happen, Rather the opposite.

Figment2005

Only if the SYSTEM is maintained, There is a reason why most 'fully' automated train systems are maintained to the point of OCD, If something goes wrong even something as minor as a breaker tripping there is NO ONE TO FIX IT and the passengers are going to be stuck for hours until a tech comes along and repairs the train.

I'm not seeing how Disney's maintenance culture and fully automated systems promise 'good things' will happen, Rather the opposite.
The new system is not intended to be fully automated. A pilot will always be present.

s8film40

The new system is not intended to be fully automated. A pilot will always be present.
Unfortunately. While I will miss having manually driven trains, I think a fully automated system would be ideal. Also not sure you can really call the person who will sit there while the train drives itself around a pilot anymore.

Figment2005

Unfortunately. While I will miss having manually driven trains, I think a fully automated system would be ideal. Also not sure you can really call the person who will sit there while the train drives itself around a pilot anymore.
The pilot will still take trains through switches and in/out of shop. So, yes, they are still piloting the train.

s8film40

The pilot will still take trains through switches and in/out of shop. So, yes, they are still piloting the train.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but that accounts for a very small percentage of the time. I've known pilots who have gone months without taking a train to or from shop, especially those who work mid shifts.

Flalex72

And this surprises me, because Thales is installing SelTrac in Ottawa, Canada, but the only automation will be in the yard where trains will switch and park themselves. On the track itself, there will be a low level of automation. When there are no passengers present, there is much less reason to have an employee in the train.

s8film40

And this surprises me, because Thales is installing SelTrac in Ottawa, Canada, but the only automation will be in the yard where trains will switch and park themselves. On the track itself, there will be a low level of automation. When there are no passengers present, there is much less reason to have an employee in the train.
It's ultimately the clients decision how much and in what way they want automation in the case Disney has decided they want drivers taking trains in/out of service but not routine driving. If you've seen the Las Vegas system then you've seen how good of a job Thales can do with a FULLY automated system. I especially like their ability to remote drive the trains manually, no drivers in any of the trains at all that way.

Flalex72

It's ultimately the clients decision how much and in what way they want automation in the case Disney has decided they want drivers taking trains in/out of service but not routine driving. If you've seen the Las Vegas system then you've seen how good of a job Thales can do with a FULLY automated system. I especially like their ability to remote drive the trains manually, no drivers in any of the trains at all that way.

It's absolutely the client's decision, but when you consider the circumstances behind the incident that is driving this upgrade, it seems unusual. I guess it will be more of a train protection system into and out of the shop/switches, so that the system won't be overridden, rather it will work with the pilot to ensure they operate safely.

I can't say I have ridden the LV monorail, but I have been on a number of other SelTrac equipped systems, including the first system that used it and most notably the London DLR. There are stories from the DLR where the train attendant managed to close the doors while standing outside the train, and then the train left without them!

MaryJaneP

From what I am understanding, the choice to keep a person in the cab is to keep it more personable for the guests. I happen to like the choice because it keeps cast members employed in the department.

Seems like an ideal opportunity for AA. Guests would have the illusion of a pilot. We would like to have our monorail driven by a wookie , R2D2, or C3PO. Lol

ABQ

Seems like an ideal opportunity for AA. Guests would have the illusion of a pilot. We would like to have our monorail driven by a wookie , R2D2, or C3PO. Lol
Yikes, like a Johnny Cab?
total8.jpg

s8film40

It's absolutely the client's decision, but when you consider the circumstances behind the incident that is driving this upgrade, it seems unusual. I guess it will be more of a train protection system into and out of the shop/switches, so that the system won't be overridden, rather it will work with the pilot to ensure they operate safely.

I can't say I have ridden the LV monorail, but I have been on a number of other SelTrac equipped systems, including the first system that used it and most notably the London DLR. There are stories from the DLR where the train attendant managed to close the doors while standing outside the train, and then the train left without them!
Yep, I'm sure it's annoying to the people at Thales knowing their client is making a stupid decision but they still have to provide them what they want.

s8film40

From what I am understanding, the choice to keep a person in the cab is to keep it more personable for the guests. I happen to like the choice because it keeps cast members employed in the department.
I don't think I understand how it's more personable unless they start letting guests ride in the front again. Keeping people employed in a completely meaningless job is not a good thing. The turnover is high enough no one would lose their job. I would imagine a lot of the good cast members will move on to something else. If I were working there I certainly would be choosing my new location right about now. Monorail pilots are going to become a joke once this change takes place. Like I said I think this is a good thing, keeping pilots just isn't that smart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom