DHS New "Flex" Theater

Progress.City

Disney hasn't said anything about this project at all so they aren't trying to make it look like anything at this point. It seems likely that this is exactly what it says it is, a flexible theater space in an area that is unlikely to get major work in an expansion, so they can free up space near where major expansion work will occur.
That's exactly what I'm saying. This is the start of the expansion without anything obvious being pulled. They will need this, just like you said.

MGMBoy

They used to have tents set up in that same lot for the cheerleading events and stuff so a permanent, brick & mortar installation seems like a great idea and, like mentioned before, would allow for removal of the old Hunchback Theatre.

JohnD

what will they do with the old premier building?

As much as I would love an enormous Star Wars land- one that takes over all of Indy & muppets, I'd be much happier with them redoing the muppets area with something deserving and a new attraction (I'm not even a muppets fan- haven't seen one movie) and just building the Star Wars land where Indy is and blow the parking lot back.

I'd actually prefer they start Star Wars land at Echo lake and consume Hyperion theater into it as well as blow out the parking lot.
I think it's a bad move to eliminate the muppets from the picture if that's the thought here.

But I just don't see them building out Star Wars land while simultaneously adding a muppets attraction and theming the muppets area/restaurants properly.

But can they afford to drop the muppets area out for the expansion?!? The park is all but baron as is. So many questions. So many possibilities. So much movement & writing on the walls. No news! Ahhhh!

It's the only park where they can feature their diverse properties:
  • MK has to remain "classic Disney" for the most part, introducing primarily new animation characters (e.g. Frozen)
  • Epcot is the continual World's Fair although there is "character creep" (not to harp on Frozen but that's the first that comes to mind with the renovation of Norway)
  • Animal Kingdom is just that connecting other Disney properties where appropriate to animal themes. (One can argue about Avatarland but it would probably fit the old "Beastly Kingdom" concept)
  • With HS, you can feature Star Wars, Muppets, Marvel (where allowed), and classic Disney all in the same park and there be no conflict of "theme"

Biff215

I wonder if they will do anything to the barely themed side of the Tower of Terror?
I don't think you'll be able to see that side from this theater, especially since it's indoor. Probably no such luck, money better spent elsewhere in the park (even though I love ToT).

This area will be a madhouse when any decent sized event lets out. Wait times will double at ToT and RnRC!

Ignohippo

I imagine the bleachers could be pushed to the wall and the theater used for Darth's Mall for SWW in the future?

If that's the case, could we see construction on this begin as soon as SWW is over this year?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I imagine the bleachers could be pushed to the wall and the theater used for Darth's Mall for SWW in the future?

If that's the case, could we see construction on this begin as soon as SWW is over this year?

There is no reason to wait until SWW is over since the area they are building this in really won't impact current guest areas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom