The Sole Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The Finale

We're here... After 101 days of strategy, creativity and fun, we have reached the end. But, before we can crown a victor, we have to have a final Imagineer's Council. This is where the jury comes in.

Your jury is made up of eight individuals:

@englanddg
@LittleGiants16
@Zweiland
@TheOriginalTiki
@JokersWild
@Vipraa
@MA Screamin'
@RMichael21

They will decide who deserves to win this game. Here's how the final Imagineer's Council will work. On Tuesday, April 21, 2015, @IDInstitute and @tcool will make their opening speeches to the jury. It can contain any information, and can be of any length. However, it must be a forum post. But, the main focus should be centered around why you deserve to be crowned The Sole Imagineer. After these speeches have been read, I will have each juror come forward and ask questions to the finalists or tell them something that is on their mind. Once these have concluded, it will be time to vote. Each juror will cast one vote for who they would like to win.

On Thursday, April 23 at 5:00 PM EST, a victor of The Sole Imagineer will be crowned.
I take donations in Bitcoin, Paypal, Credit Card, or Turkey Legs and Dole Whips.

Vipraa

Vipraa

Outstanding job these past three weeks @Vipraa! Let's see how you did:

- I love the homepage and the overall look of the website, very clean and professional. Well done!
- Also, I like the overall plan layout and having more details in the respective tabs
- Sure, a rotation for fireworks add variety, but a new show mixed with an old show could keep the rotation unbalanced. I feel just replacing Wishes all together would have been better.
- I LOVE the Buzz refurb, it's exactly what the ride needs
- For the PPF refurbishment, you say a new ride system. Is it the same concept as before or is it a new concept
- I really like Once Upon a Time, but I feel that Celebrate the Magic is too new to be replaced. A refurb with new segments would have worked better to be honest.
- Is it just me or did you use Walt's in a previous concept? I feel like I recognize it.
- Why have the MSEP name continue. It seems like a different parade but with similar music.
- I'm not sure an entire dark ride can fit in the Merida M&G space. Sure, most FL dark rides are in confined spaces, but Alice needs more space because of it's sprawling outdoor track
- I loved the idea of the Platinum Celebration, well done!
- I absolutely love the idea of the Festival of the Future, it sounds great! My only thing is that now there's only a few months of the year where there isn't a festival. Festivals are supposed to be temporary events, not something that should be happening for 2/3 of the year.
- I'm not sure how I feel about the Tron Coaster. It's just... meh for me
- I really like the idea of a parade for Epcot. It should add some great entertainment
- Great idea to expand DHS parking. It should help handle the crowds that are sure to flock to the expanded park.
- I love the nighttime show just as much as I loved it before!
- I like the parade, but it seems too focused on The Lion King
- I really enjoyed reading about North America, it's a nice expansion that we really haven't seen that much of before
- The TTC expansion was great, but an update of the buildings themselves would have been nice
- I LOVE the idea of new monorails, but a different design could have been cool. They look similar, almost too similar to the current models.
- I wish that you would have focused on the water parks, resorts and Disney Springs. The challenge is for all of WDW, not just the parks.

In sum, you did an amazing job @Vipraa! You've been an outstanding competitor this season!

Just to explain some of my decisions here with the critiques

- Second Star to the Right is just meant to to be a fresh new firework show not a revolutionary one with new effects like Magic of the Night for the 50th. Think of it as a version of Disneyland's Magical where it added a new show but didn't require any massive investment. I and many others like the rotational fireworks that Disneyland did for a few years with Remember and Magical. It will also tide everyone over until the 50th because it isnt worth the huge investment when something new will be needed in just a few years for the 50th.

-PPF Refurb was meant to be a similar but slightly updated ride system. The current one is kinda rickety and if we are rebuilding might as well update.

- I am not a fan of Celebrate the Magic. It has no story and no central theme. Its just like "Hey here's a bunch of iconic scenes and music.... enjoy". The previous show, The Magic the Memories and You ran for less then 2 years and updating with OUAT will be a 4-5 year run so its not unreasonable that itwould go away.

-Never used Walt's before but its a popular concept and there is an actual restaurant in DLP on the second story of Main St.

- MSEP has a Name and a lot of equity built up in that name. Sure a new flashy name might appeal to some but generations of people have grown up with the MSEP. The parade isn't all new as well. It reuses some older float that have been updated and brings in new floats and music to keep it fresh.

-The Fantasy Garden space is quite large only about 1/3 of it is used with the M&G. On top of that the Alice dark ride in DL is stacked on top of PPF in California so it takes up the same footprint. The same thing could be done with the Pooh darkride and Alice.

- Festival of the Future is not a new concept but was a very real possibility of actually happening at Epcot. Some wanted to have festivals year round at Epcot. I do recognize that there probably shouldn't be a festival at all times so I placed the Festival in the remaining off season as an attraction to bring people in. Jan- Mar leaves the summer and holiday seasons without festivals.

- Epcot needs a pavilion to explore the digital world especially since it is becoming such an important part of our everyday world. Partnered up with a potential sponsor like Apple and this would be a great are for Future World. I realize that many people in the Disney community dont like but Tron is the ideal candidate for an attraction in a pavilion like this. It has 2 successful movies and a 3rd in production and it is pretty popular with the general public. Epcot needs another FW e-ticket and this fits the bill perfectly

-My Mark 8 monorail design is designed to be fresh but still classic. Its a combination of the retro Mark 7s and the LearJet look of the Mark 4-6. Not revolutionary but evolutionary and certainly more of a leap forward then the Mark 4 to the Mark 6.

I ran out of time with this challenge and that where most of the rest of the critiques come into play. I planned out full expansions for both water parks. I added Seven Sea's tower to Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge DVC, Expansion and reworkings of the All Star Resort and 2 new deluxe resorts in the Grand Disney and Progress City. Even a new monorail line. Because of time constrain i could only do in depth explanations for about half of everything I wanted to do which is a shame but oh well. I did everything you see over about 3 days of the 3 weeks because i was working so much lol.

That's my thought process and now I have fallen to the second cook island twist of the game. Now I know how @Sam4D23 feels lol. Good Luck to @tcool and @IDInstitute in the Finals.

DinoInstitute

The Finale

We're here... After 101 days of strategy, creativity and fun, we have reached the end. But, before we can crown a victor, we have to have a final Imagineer's Council. This is where the jury comes in.

Your jury is made up of eight individuals:

@englanddg
@LittleGiants16
@Zweiland
@TheOriginalTiki
@JokersWild
@Vipraa
@MA Screamin'
@RMichael21

They will decide who deserves to win this game. Here's how the final Imagineer's Council will work. On Tuesday, April 21, 2015, @IDInstitute and @tcool will make their opening speeches to the jury. It can contain any information, and can be of any length. However, it must be a forum post. But, the main focus should be centered around why you deserve to be crowned The Sole Imagineer. After these speeches have been read, I will have each juror come forward and ask questions to the finalists or tell them something that is on their mind. Once these have concluded, it will be time to vote. Each juror will cast one vote for who they would like to win.

On Thursday, April 23 at 5:00 PM EST, a victor of The Sole Imagineer will be crowned.
Do me and tcool's opening speeches have any due time, or just during the day Tuesday?

RMichael21

Original Poster
Do me and tcool's opening speeches have any due time, or just during the day Tuesday?
I was about to announce this, so let me tell y'all!

My plan is for the due time for the speeches to be 4:00 PM EST. You can post anytime tomorrow before that. Then, the questions/jury speeches will be due tomorrow at 8:00 PM EST. Then, the voting will happen.

Also, the new reveal date is 24 hours earlier. The winner will be revealed on Wednesday, April 22, 5:00 PM EST.

tcool

My plan is for the due time for the speeches to be 4:00 PM EST. You can post anytime tomorrow before that. Then, the questions/jury speeches will be due tomorrow at 8:00 PM EST. Then, the voting will happen.

Also, the new reveal date is 24 hours earlier. The winner will be revealed on Wednesday, April 22, 5:00 PM EST.

I have one problem with that time RM. You see I exit my middle school classes at 4:00 PM EST every day. Could you possibly move it to sometime around 5 PM?

DinoInstitute

Also, I'm not fully sure of how the process will go down, but if the jury is supposed to ask us questions and then vote will the new date leave enough time?

RMichael21

Original Poster
Alright, here's the schedule for tonight and tomorrow.

Tuesday, April 21:

5:00 PM : Finalist Speeches

5:00 PM - 8:00 PM : Jury Speeches and Jury Questions

8:00 PM - 8:30 PM : Finalist Responses and Closing Statment

8:30 PM : Voting Begins

Wednesday, April 22:

4:30 PM : Voting Concludes

5:00 PM : The Winner is Revealed

tcool

Hello all! First off I like to thank @RMichael21 for hosting. I thank for @MA Screamin' helping. I will like to thank my fellow Baxtanu tribe members @Aaron O , @Sam4D23 , @LittleGiants16 , @Zweiland , @JokersWild , and @Vipraa ! As well as Sklarohnah’s Members @jdmdisney99 , @Matt7187 , @InfiniteRightEar97 , @englanddg , @TheOriginalTiki , and @IDInstitute !

How Did You Get Here?

Well that's an excellent question! I type in Imagineer, and then this link comes up in the search bar http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forums/imagineer.15/ I then click it and then look for The Sole Imagineer : An Imagineering Competition. And then I get to the thread, and here I am! :D:p All kidding aside now though.

I got here through a combination of alliances, and actually winning challenges. The only post-merge challenge I won however was Who Wants More Hollywood? I Do! with Toontown. Even though I only had won one post merge challenge and some group challenges, when it came time to vote off the next castaway I ended up being the one contestant in the whole competition that never had a vote towards to. I also never even had a project veto in case any one was wondering. When I said I had one I was simply bluffing to scare away potential votes against me that could lead to me leaving the island.​
Why Vote Me?

Another great question! I believe I should win because I have shown I have been honest to all my alliances never backstabbing anyone in the actual alliances I was a part in. Another reason is that I feel over the course of this competition I have improved my Imagineering skills. Although I did sometimes bring out really bad projects (Looking at you Wizard of Oz Walkthrough. I was never a huge fan of it either actually), but the good outweighs the bad. I have given life to two new Imagination Pavilion mascots, Art and Logic. As well as expanding universes by providing a prequel ride with The Cybug Initiative, or by bringing life to a concept Disney has left (Toontown).

Lastly I just don't let loose ends stay untied, and because of this I will be bringing my Rehab Rally project to what I wanted it to be not what it ended it up being. Mainly because at times me saying this is a show based off Princess and the Frog, and followed by "Oh, look! It's an Araucan Bird themed rollercoaster!", and finally ending with this is a Hercules Dark Ride. Had any questions on those before will now be answered!

:DI will now like to thank everyone again! And I will now thank you for reading this response.:D

DinoInstitute

The Sole Imagineer- The Winning Vote
@IDInstitute's Plea

Wow, everybody. First finding out about this competition about 6 months ago, I knew I would love it, combining my two life passions- reality TV strategy games and Imagineering. Though, in all my excitement, I never thought I would actually make it to the final two. There is only one last goal for me-and that is to win. This post is basically going to be a "me speech", which I hate writing, but that's what we have to do:p;) Forgive me if I come off braggy or anything, but this is why I think I deserve the title of The Sole Imagineer!

Part One- The Strategic Game

In this game, I feel like I have been the best strategist. I put myself in a successful alliance, but knew when to cut it loose. Along the way, I was in control of my deciding, or at least knowing so I can plan, who was going home each week.
-At the first Imagineer's Council, it was @jdmdisney99 that got voted off. This was almost entirely my doing. I felt as if we had enough strong members to carry Sklaronah (@englanddg, @TheOriginalTiki, and others), so I felt it was justifiable to take out a strong member in Jdm that could potentially cause challenge threats. In addition, he is a very popular member of the forum, so I figured he would have many social ties. Due to this, during the week I planted seeds in Tiki throughout the week of reasons to take him out, insuring that he would take the heat when he went on the live show
-After the first vote, I won the Project Veto. This was an important tool that I could use down the road to save myself and change the game.
-Following this, Baxtanu had to vote off two members. Know-It-Alls member @JokersWild informed me and Tiki that it would be Sam and Aaron going, so this information helped give us extra time to plan which Baxtanu members we could work with.
-@JoseLorenzo’s disqualification was inevitable, but despite that we had a good time together and I could have potentially used him as a vote
-@Matt7187’s blindisde I do have to give a lot of credit to Tiki for orchestrating, but at this time I was a huge part in the decision making process of whether to keep Matt or englanddg. In the end, I had a feeling that englanddg would be more willing to vote with me further on down the road, and could help me in the challenges when we migrated to Baxtanu. Not to mention, I felt his no-strategizing strategy would be less threatening.
-Tiki had informed me a while before the vote for @InfiniteRightEar97 that he would go, so it gave me extra time to play with my “rocks and sticks” to strategize how each player will vote and align.
-At this point in the game, it was the merge, and there was a majority alliance against me and @englanddg. Luckily, I had Tiki as an information source as to what they were planning, so I was not blindsided when @englanddg was eliminated, though I would have loved for him to move forward.
-@LittleGiants16, well, we were all pretty much together on this.
-@Zweiland’s elimination was one of the biggest of the season. Initially, me and Tiki’s idol plan would be to have myself play it at final five while everyone else voted for me, giving me the power to blindside Zweiland. However, it was pushed forward a week so that they would not see it coming. I played the idol, but Zweiland was smart enough to throw another vote onto Jokers to tie it. At the revote, I worked my hardest with social skills to sway a vote (whether it was tcool or Vipraa I’m not quite sure) to go on Zwei rather than myself, thus creating the huge blindside.
-At the final five was when I blindsided game-long partner @TheOriginalTiki. To do this, I contacted @tcool, with my intentions to slowly morph into a way where we could vote against Tiki in a finals deal. To do this, I told a little white lie that Tiki was targeting tcool. Despite this, I wanted to work with tcool as us “rookies” of the 2014 season still wanted to get a win amongst one of us ;) At the same time, I found out that Jokers and Vipraa were creating their own Tiki-blindside plan. Therefore, it would not be hard to get the third vote for me and tcool necessary to take him out. The last thing needed was the idea I had to throw another vote onto Jokers just so that, in the event Tiki did have the idol, that he would not be able to control who goes home, but it would instead tie.
-At @jokerswild’s elimination, once again we were all pretty much in agreement.
-At the final vote, I had to decide between @tcool and @Vipraa. After careful consideration about who would be the bigger final two threat, and me wanting to stay true to my alliance with tcool, I decided to take out powerplayer Vipraa

In the end, I feel I deserve the strategist vote as I never truly was feeling any worry or paranoia, and more or less had control the entire game. In addition, my voting history page is quite clean, as I have no technical votes cast against me except for the planned ones nulled by the idol.​

Part Two- The Imagineering Game

If it is not quite the strategic game you respect, but more the Imagineering and challenge game, I feel as though I deserve that vote too. During the pre-merge, I was one of the three strongest members of my tribe alongside @englanddg and @TheOriginalTiki (Not to say the rest of you weren't strong, there was no one that was truly a week player on our tribe:)), and even if I wasn't the best, I might have been the most active, always checking in and posting my thoughts in a supportive way to other's ideas. I was a great team player never shutting down others ideas, but trying to build off of them. I always took my fair share of work, and even when I was not knowledgeable about the topic. For example, the Pokemon project, when I knew nothing about Pokemon, but because it was a good idea and others were excited about it, I took the time to learn more about it by playing old games and researching so that I could help out the best way I could. However, the pre-merge is only half of the game. Once the merge came, my Imagineering effort was never put to rest or anything to make myself look like a non threat; I always put 100% of what I could into every challenge I did. And, the data shows... I won 3 out of 5 Immunity challenges, the majority of them, and in a crop of extremely talented competitors. Not to mention, one of the Immunity challenges I didn't win was due to me submitting basically nothing because I had prior commitments (but, something is better than nothing), and to that same point, one of the ones I did one I had to create in just one day, while also working at the same time on another challenge because of having to work on it ahead of time before I left for my trip. For the reward challenges, there were only two, one of which I was excused from, and another in which I earned myself a close second, only after the master of nighttime shows;):p
These challenges helped me so much grow as an imagineer. I continued to further develop my artistic and graphic art skills, and even worked on videos for the first time. These are skills that I had so much fun working on and can use in the future. Out of all of the competitors, I think I have grown the most, and have developed some new skills that will only be developed further and can potentially even make me a bigger threat in future competitions.

Part Three- The Winning Vote

Whether you respect my game or not, I am ok with that, and am glad to have been able to share this experience with you all no matter who wins. In almost a week from now, it'll be my one year anniversary to the forum, and I've been having fun ever since. If you even look all the way back to my first Sorcerer's Apprentice Boardroom plea, you can see how huge my passion for reality competitions is, as I made it all about Big Brother:p In addition, over in the TV shows thread, I always have threads on Big Brother and Survivor because of how much I love it and to talk about it with fellow fans @PUSH, @NYwdwfan, @SAV, and many others. My heart for this game cannot be overstated, this has been quite a uniquee and fun experience, and the only thing that could beat having the title of the Sole Imagineer is winning the actual shows them self:p;) Hopefully you appreciate and respect how I played this game and give me the vote, if not, I'll see you in season two, and thank you all for such a great season!:D Now, it's time for the final hours...
the anticipation is killing me, but also kind of giving me energy and excitement :p;)

Thank you all for your time, and may the best Survivor win!

RMichael21

Original Poster
RMichael21's Juror Speech

@IDInstitute and @tcool. Both of you have come a long way in the less then one year that they have been on these boards. Before I address both of you, let me say this:

Only a true Survivor fan knows that Survivor isn't a one sided game. It's a three-sided game. You must outwit by being smart, deceitful and strategic. You must outplay by creating fantastic concepts that cause the jaws of people to drop to the floor. Finally, you must outlast each vote, making sure you are the one not on the chopping block.

While many people possessed one or two of these qualities, you and only a few others had all three under your belt. @IDInstitute , @tcool and @TheOriginalTiki were these castaways that really thought the game through inside and out using all three of these characteristics. Two of these three are standing in today's final tribal council while the other blindsided by these very contestants sitting here tonight.

So, I'm going to address each of you today one to one.

@IDInstitute
@IDInstitute, I remember the day when you first came onto the Imagineer forum and asked to join the Spring Training competition. Something that day told me that this is the Imagineer that's going to make a statement someday. And, when The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2 comes along, we both sign up and end up on the same team. Now, speaking from a non-competition opinion, had this small event never happened, I feel like we most likely wouldn't be as good of friends as we are now. We stayed by our side for a whole 3 months before your elimination and it was great to be able to work with you! I really say potential in you. As @LittleGiants16 said in his Elite Eight recap, I feel with a good year or so, you could be one of the forum's biggest and brightest. You have proven just that, earlier than expected, by getting to finals of The Sole Imagineer.

You were one of the only people (that I know of) that was a massive fan of Survivor going into the game besides @TheOriginalTiki. From the moment the sign ups went out (literally, you made sure you were on the exact second so you be the first to sign up), you were one of the most enthusiastic castaways. You were one of the people that didn't care about anything else but having fun. And that's why I find you a great competitor.

However, each and every single individual has their "flaws" and I feel that these must be addressed with not just you, but with @tcool as well.

This is more specific to The Sole Imagineer, but I feel that at some points, you're focus was directed more at the politics instead of the concept. Sure, this competition is centered around politics, but it's only half of the game. I feel that you must have gone too hard to fast. Unlike @tcool, you rushed into the strategy, were extremely good at challenges and managed to put a target on your back. You really only had one or two true allies while pretty much everyone was against you. The real reason why you didn't go home 7th, 6th or 5th place is because there were bigger threats than you and you had the Project Veto. Had you not won the Project Veto, you definitely would have won 6th place instead of @Zweiland. But, your strategic side really worked in your favor, turning on @TheOriginalTiki before he could get to the final challenge and snatch the win away and take it.

Also, I feel that you could work on your technical skills. You've become increasingly better throughout the competition, but you still have a ways to go. (I could probably do this too :p).

Finally, as I said above, you were one of the only people to really have a true alliance. You controlled your side of the game for pretty much the entire competition and I applaud you for that. You really did Outwit, Outplay and Outlast!

My questions for you:

1. How has you knowledge of Survivor helped you in other ways than a good social game?
2. Are there any other people that you feel could have gotten to the end had you not helped vote them out?
3. Had you not been a part of the "Know It Alls" alliance, how do you think the game would have panned out for you?

Overall, I applaud your amazing efforts this season and I hope to see you again in Season 2!

@tcool
@tcool, your back round "story" is much different for me than @IDInstitute's. For you, I really didn't talk with you or remember you prior to The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2. Then, as the competition progressed, I became more and more impressed with your work. I feel that I underestimated you because of you being fairly new to the forums. When I did my own Pre-Game predictions, I wrongly predicted that you would be 10th or 9th place. But, I love it when people prove me wrong! When you finished in 6th place, I saw your potential. After SA as the E8 approached, and we started talking more, I got to know you as well. Like IDI, I saw your kindness and your passion towards the Disney Parks.

When The Sole Imagineer came around, I could see that you were extremely excited to try out your second competition on the boards. You were also one of the most enthusiastic members of your tribe and really made everyone feel much better after a loss and even better after a win.

In addition, I cannot describe how truly you come up with AMAZING concepts. They have this certain quality to them that I believe come from your intelligent ideas that are unique and aren't like anything we've ever seen before.

Also, I find your strategic approach very interesting and it's the same one that countless Survivor winners have used. And that's not to be overly strategic, but use strategy at key moments by making big moves. Take Natalie for Survivor: San Juan Del Sur. She flew under the radar despite her sister being voted off first, but made huge moves that altered the game entirely. This is what made her win the game, those short but large moments of strategy are what gave her the win. This is how you played. You flew under the rader just enough to leave you unnoticed in the majority alliance of your tribe. Then, at the merge, you won immunity challenges, but still managed to be less of a threat than others who never won like @englanddg. Then, when it came time to make big moves you did. You banded together with your former tribe mates to blindside both @Zweiland and @TheOriginalTiki. These moves are what makes you stand out from the crowd.

But, as I said before, everyone has their "flaws". I find that you have one major one, but it can easily be fixed. Proofing your concept and typos! You've even admitted to me that you leave the project until the last minute by "stewing ideas" ahead of time, typing it up in one go and submitting it. But, let yourself have more time to write, as you won't feel rushed and make silly mistakes. This is key to an easy-to-read and clear presentation. Sure, you can get your idea across somewhat, but the reader may leave with some confusion in the back of their mind. Your last project was great, you really used those three weeks to check your work.

My questions for you are:

1. Are you proud of the way that you played the game and would you play it differently in a future season?
2. Would you be a part of a larger alliance like the "Know It Alls" next time, or do you feel that it places a target on the player's back?

Other than that, I think you've done an outstanding job this season! Like @IDInstitute, I feel that you really did Outwit, Outlast and Outplay this season. I applaud you for sticking with it and being an amazing competitor for these 4 months!

Anyways, let the best Imagineer win!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom