Space Mountain

ItlngrlBella

^^^ yes, when we do ride it we ride it last - because I do t want to spend the entire day with a migraine at WDW and hating life. This way if the headache kicks in, I can pop an Axert and sleep it off.

JohnD

Space Mountain is the only coaster I dislike at WDW. I find it to be more jerky than the others. I get nauseated on it, and it hurts my neck & back afterward for a little while. I'm like you, I'm not a big thrill ride person - but I do like BTMR, EE & Splash.

Agree. I, too, find it herky jerky. I'm not much of a coaster person but I've decided I love Everest. It's VERY smooth and I'll go on it multiple times in a row. I'm going to WDW May 12-18 and the two times I'm in MK I do NOT have a FP+ for SM.

JohnHangen

It's fun but it's definitely a rough ride. I've ridden the Wildcat many times (wooden coaster in CT that was previously mentioned ) and that ride slams the rider around. I'd say SM is very similar in ride quality, which is shocking considering it's metal.

Raineman

The only part of Space Mountain that caused me any kind of discomfort, strangely enough, was at the end of the tight corner just before the lift, as it slows you down to go into the lift. It wrenched my lower back enough that it was a little tight for a couple of hours afterwards. Other than that, no complaints-for a steel coaster, pretty rough, but given its age, understandable.

bigorangeandy

I have read people saying that the ride is rough for years, and never had thought that until last week. Either the ride vehicle was having issues or something, because it was the roughest I can ever remember. I had ridden twice the month prior and no issues for me. I've been riding SM for over 30 years and this is the only time I can remember a rough ride. The best advice is to ride SM, it is worth trying.

Daniel Johnson

We usually ride it first thing upon getting to mk. and it's also the last ride before we leave.
Never ride toward the back though...seems to toss you around more

DManRightHere

First off, if you are good with thunder, you should be good with space; Unless flashing lights can make you nauseous.

Second off...I'm surprised how many people say they can't ride this! It's a great ride! I'm sure one day it will be gutted for a new coaster, especially with the sitting on the floor load method, but thats why it is great! For you people saying this is a rough coaster have never ridden a rough carowinds coaster, I have a season pass and there are a few I refuse to ride as it literally bangs your head around.

Prog

First off, if you are good with thunder, you should be good with space; Unless flashing lights can make you nauseous.

Second off...I'm surprised how many people say they can't ride this! It's a great ride! I'm sure one day it will be gutted for a new coaster, especially with the sitting on the floor load method, but thats why it is great! For you people saying this is a rough coaster have never ridden a rough carowinds coaster, I have a season pass and there are a few I refuse to ride as it literally bangs your head around.
This was more or less what I was trying to say earlier.
I do hope that the original refurb plan happens. The POV I've seen of DLR's Space Mountain shows some effects that I would really love to see (unless it means getting rid of the Space Shuttle scene). At the very least there needs to be a stable track put in.

DManRightHere

This was more or less what I was trying to say earlier.
I do hope that the original refurb plan happens. The POV I've seen of DLR's Space Mountain shows some effects that I would really love to see (unless it means getting rid of the Space Shuttle scene). At the very least there needs to be a stable track put in.

What does stable track mean? I would assume the current track is structurally sound. It's not like the track is flexing and moving with all of the coaster cars? I can't even think of if the seats vibrate whole loading and unloading...

Dj Corona

It sounds bad, but the only part I look forward to on Space Mountain anymore, is to hear the "Star Tunnel" soundtrack while in line, other then that, being 6'2" and all legs, riding it anymore is akin to going 3 and a half minutes with a UFC fighter then being on a "rollercoaster".

The Empress Lilly

Space is awesome! Wish it would be even rougher and wilder! Pity they wussified it with the brakes.

Very different from Everest and Thunder though, which are smooth rides. Space is not that fast, doesn't have inversions, no large drops. The excitement is all about the jerkiness of the motion, combined with the dark.

mergatroid

Space Mountain rough? You guys have obviously never endured some of the rides at Blackpool pleasure beach in the UK, now they're 'rough' :eek:

Daniel Johnson

It isn't rough when compared to the Georgia cyclone . @ six flags over Georgia.... Honestly, it is jerky, but, I enjoy it. I am only 5'6, but I do always fear I'm gonna lose my head on the overhead track....it's awesome

Bairstow

It isn't rough when compared to the Georgia cyclone . @ six flags over Georgia.... Honestly, it is jerky, but, I enjoy it. I am only 5'6, but I do always fear I'm gonna lose my head on the overhead track....it's awesome

Cyclone got retracked in 2012 and is a lot better than it was.
Had a chance to ride it since then?

Doodlyday

I feel like the dark makes it feel less jerky, at least for me. I think not knowing what's coming makes the ride much less intense.

SpiffyScribbles

Original Poster
You could always try a motion sickness medicine if you're that concerned.
Honestly I'm less concerned about the motion sickness and more so about the fact that you can't see where you're going on the ride. I just feel like less of a chicken if I blame it on the potential motion sickness haha.

lazyboy97o

Honestly I'm less concerned about the motion sickness and more so about the fact that you can't see where you're going on the ride. I just feel like less of a chicken if I blame it on the potential motion sickness haha.
Unless you sit up front you can't see much of where you are going on most roller coasters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom