Late August vs. September?

Rachel S1321

I can not for the life of me just choose when to go. Is there a huge difference in crowd size or weather for late August (last 2 weeks) or early September before Food and Wine? I would be traveling with my hubby and my kids age 7 and 3. Thank you for any suggestions and or advice.

Yvonne C

OMG - Food and wine time --- SO MUCH FUN!! If you choose that, go to Epcot during the week because it's less crowed. I book more guests for that time of year than any other! Plus so many more discounts come out for Set than summer! Locals come fri- sun ... Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

The weather will be about the same, but crowds will be lower if you go in those couple of weeks after Labor Day and before the start of F&W. Late August crowds aren't bad since a chunk of he south is back in school by that point, but the crowd levels we experienced in early Sept are some of the lowest I've ever seen.

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

I can not for the life of me just choose when to go. Is there a huge difference in crowd size or weather for late August (last 2 weeks) or early September before Food and Wine? I would be traveling with my hubby and my kids age 7 and 3. Thank you for any suggestions and or advice.

OMG - Food and wine time --- SO MUCH FUN!! If you choose that, go to Epcot during the week because it's less crowed. I book more guests for that time of year than any other! Plus so many more discounts come out for Set than summer! Locals come fri- sun ... Hope that helps.

Yvonne
Disney Travel Professional
with Academy Travel!

For a TA, you really didn't read the OP's post. They want to go BEFORE F&W.... Not a wise decision to post that answer being a TA for Academy Travel when disregarding the question they asked.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

I've been both times and there's not much difference between the two. It's still very hot and the crowds are about the same.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I always go the last two to three weeks of August. You can notice a difference around the middle of the month. And, it's a big difference (in crowds).

Sept will have lower crowds, and lower prices. However, the park hours are also decreased around this time. If that's not important to you (it shouldn't be, the lower crowds easily make up for it), then I'd say early Sept. The fact it's slightly cooler then is also a plus.

Upvote 0

MorganKelly

We have done both several times and IMHO there is not much difference in crowd levels. Many school districts across the country return in early August. The weather is humid either way, no surprise there!:joyfull:.

Upvote 0

Rachel S1321

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! I think I have put too much pressure on myself to plan a fun week with the family that I am actually incapable of making decisions! I can't even choose between resorts! I just want to stay at them all!

Upvote 0

Tom 55

I find that the crowd level in September is less than August. Once school stars threw out the US crowds levels go down. You start to see international visitors but not the South America tourist yet.

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

We have been several times in Sept, on different weeks, though never in August. I believe it's correct that the weather (heat & humidity) are about the same between the two times you are considering. I've read that the crowds are a bit lower the last week or two of August due to many schools starting, but the Sept crowds aren't too bad either, though I think they have increased a bit over the past 6-7 years, maybe due to the popularity of the free dining promotions that have been offered during that time.
The one thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that at some point, I think usually mid-month in Sept, there is about a week when the love bugs make their appearance. We have only been there once when they were bad. I think they are usually noticeable, but not a huge issue.....but something to be aware of.....and if you are driving, you would want to wash them off of your car as soon as you could after your trip. Don't mean to be a "downer", but I would want to know ahead of time - and as I said, we have chosen to go a number times during that time :) It's better to be there with a few love bugs than not to be there at all! :D

Upvote 0

JohnD

I didn't see it mentioned above but the F&W festival doesn't begin until September 25 (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/epcot/epcot-international-food-and-wine-festival/).

So, if you're really looking at late August vs. early September, the F&W festival is not a factor anyway. In that case, I would choose early September. Slightly better weather in September overall although probably about the same compared to late August. School back in session. Therefore, smaller crowds, relatively. If you wan to do MNSSHP, the first one isn't until September 15 (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom