A week away and the possibility of rain is scaring my party!

Joshrzmeup

We are a week away and so far the weather is saying 80% chance of rain the first 2 days (all day according to the weather apps) and then 60% chance the next day. My mom now wants to cancel and reschedule for much later in the year. She doesn't want to go when it rains. She doesn't want to stand in line in the rain and go on outdoor rides and get wet. Ponchos or not. She says we can't take pictures when it's raining and that we'll be stuck in the hotel room doing nothing and it's a waste of money. There is no changing her mind.

I have tried telling her that yeah, it's an 80% chance that it'll rain for an hour or so, but then you have the rest of the day. Plus the weather can change in an instant, who knows what'll be like when we arrive. It could change the day before. She won't budge.

I am beyond crushed and heartbroken about this. I have been looking forward to this for many months, all the planning I have done to help make this trip a reality. I have been saving money like there is no tomorrow. I have been looking forward to a week off of work for a long time. Working extra hours and getting beyond burned out. I need this for mental health reasons. Just to get away from everything.

To see my nieces and nephew on their first disney trip. She doesn't even care about that now. Plus my other brother and his new wife were going to come and surprise her at Magic Kingdom. I don't want to do that to them, either. But, I also cant tell her that. It's not just about her and us anymore, there are others invested in this.

Help me!!!!! How do I get her to see reason???

CaptainAmerica

We are a week away and so far the weather is saying 80% chance of rain the first 2 days (all day according to the weather apps) and then 60% chance the next day. My mom now wants to cancel and reschedule for much later in the year. She doesn't want to go when it rains. She doesn't want to stand in line in the rain and go on outdoor rides and get wet. Ponchos or not. She says we can't take pictures when it's raining and that we'll be stuck in the hotel room doing nothing and it's a waste of money. There is no changing her mind.

I have tried telling her that yeah, it's an 80% chance that it'll rain for an hour or so, but then you have the rest of the day. Plus the weather can change in an instant, who knows what'll be like when we arrive. It could change the day before. She won't budge.

I am beyond crushed and heartbroken about this. I have been looking forward to this for many months, all the planning I have done to help make this trip a reality. I have been saving money like there is no tomorrow. I have been looking forward to a week off of work for a long time. Working extra hours and getting beyond burned out. I need this for mental health reasons. Just to get away from everything.

To see my nieces and nephew on their first disney trip. She doesn't even care about that now. Plus my other brother and his new wife were going to come and surprise her at Magic Kingdom. I don't want to do that to them, either. But, I also cant tell her that. It's not just about her and us anymore, there are others invested in this.

Help me!!!!! How do I get her to see reason???
Go without her. Honestly she seems determined to ruin your trip. I'm sitting on my bed at DAKL right now watching a giraffe gnaw on a tree while my baby sleeps peacefully and the wife writes in her journal. I've had three absolutely perfect days and it rained at least a little bit every single one of them. My pulled pork sandwich was a bit soggy on Monday but other than that it hasn't impacted us in the slightest.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Well, that's just absurd. Go without the wet blanket.

As an aside, from someone with some meteorology background, when there is a "% chance" listing for rain, that doesn't not refer to the chance that it may rain. For example, a "20% chance" does not mean there is a 4 in 5 chance that it will not rain. It means that we expect it to rain 20% of the time that day or night. So, if 80% is listed, we expect it will rain 80% of the time. As an example, in Florida it usually rains every day in the summer. If you see a 20% chance of rain listed, that means it will likely rain about 20% of the day, which is good news in the summer--no more than 2 hours or so (and showers of that duration are usually pretty isolated and may completely miss your area; but in the viewing area, we expect an average of about 2 hours of rain for folks). 30% means 3-4 hours of rain. 40% is a pretty rainy summer day. Anything higher than that means a crappy day is coming, although the morning will usually feature some sun. Hurricanes and tropical storms are usually the only days that get a 100% listing--it will rain non-stop.

That said, I've been to WDW when there's been a 100% chance of rain (tropical storm) and still had a great time. Unlike beach vacations or cruises, it is quite possible to have a great time in FL in the rain. Of course, we all hope for at least a few nice, sunny days when we book a FL vacation.

Upvote 0

BrianV

Well, that's just absurd. Go without the wet blanket.

As an aside, from someone with some meteorology background, when there is a "% chance" listing for rain, that doesn't not refer to the chance that it may rain. For example, a "20% chance" does not mean there is a 4 in 5 chance that it will not rain. It means that we expect it to rain 20% of the time that day or night. So, if 80% is listed, we expect it will rain 80% of the time. As an example, in Florida it usually rains every day in the summer. If you see a 20% chance of rain listed, that means it will likely rain about 20% of the day, which is good news in the summer--no more than 2 hours or so (and showers of that duration are usually pretty isolated and may completely miss your area; but in the viewing area, we expect an average of about 2 hours of rain for folks). 30% means 3-4 hours of rain. 40% is a pretty rainy summer day. Anything higher than that means a crappy day is coming, although the morning will usually feature some sun. Hurricanes and tropical storms are usually the only days that get a 100% listing--it will rain non-stop.

That said, I've been to WDW when there's been a 100% chance of rain (tropical storm) and still had a great time. Unlike beach vacations or cruises, it is quite possible to have a great time in FL in the rain. Of course, we all hope for at least a few nice, sunny days when we book a FL vacation.

I'm guessing there are multiple meanings because you inspired me to look it up and NOAA defines more or less as the chance it will rain at any given location in the forcast area. . NOAA has a nice explanation: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=pop

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I'm guessing there are multiple meanings because you inspired me to look it up and NOAA defines more or less as the chance it will rain at any given location in the forcast area. . NOAA has a nice explanation: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=pop
Interesting. Unfortunate that there is inconsistency! Of course, NOAA should be the go-to for this. And local meteorologists in Central Florida should follow their lead. This is how it was explained to me in a couple courses in college, though, and seems to align with forecasts given in the Orlando area. The actual definition leads to a very complex statistical analysis to determine how likely you are to need a poncho. In practice, any day when 80% is listed as the OP suggested is going to be a very rainy day. It's not terribly important here though. I predict a 100% chance of the OPs mom being miserable if she goes and there is a single drop of rain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds to me like someone is looking for an excuse not to go. Leve her behind, have a blast.
04dd8c76826cbbbde5a5c353f8772d2d.jpg

Upvote 0

CJLove79

I mean no disrespect in anyway shape or form when I say this but see if it would be possible for you and the rest of the family to go without her. The money you save with her not going can be used for souvenirs or dining. Rain happens everywhere you go especially Florida, if you can't handle it, then its best not to travel there. It'll sting because you'll want your Mom there but the sacrifice of one person outweighs the sacrifice of the entire group. Plus when there's children involved, it wouldn't be fair that they can't see Mickey all because of a rainstorm that's not a hurricane. Hopefully, things work out for you & your Family man.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The nice thing about Florida rain? It's over in about 15 minutes. Will storm like crazy. But then it's done. And muggy afterwards. But we need rain to wash the pollen off my car.

Today it was supposed to rain all day, starting in the AM. Maybe a sprinkle - or that could have been my sweat since I was doing major gardening (best time to pull weeds is after a couple of days of rain). Yesterday? Prediction for the occasional shower. Rained starting in the AM through the evening.

Just bring some ponchos. By the time you get them on, the rain will be stopping.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If she wants to wait on Disney till there is no chance of rain, she might as well forget going to Disney ever. It very rarely rains for more than a couple of hours, but if you are going to Disney world it is going to rain sometime during your trip, as for the forecast I have been there when there was and 80 percent chance of rain and it didn't rain a drop and when there was no rain in the forecast and it rained. I hate to say this but, if she is being that obstinate maybe you should just go with out her.

Uh, yeah. While Florida is the Sunshine State, it really needs to be the "It's going to rain really hard for about 15 minutes starting around 2-3PM each afternoon and then be REALLY muggy" State.

Upvote 0

CheersBigEars

I want to know how this ends!It sounds to me as if something else is going on because who cares about rain if you are with your loved ones at the happiest place on earth? I would definitely go without her, you will have a better time as your mum sounds high maintenance and rather selfish. (No offence)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Princess A

An hour of rain sounds like a dream to me, coming from the United Kingdom! I'm guessing she has never vacationed here, as it's around 70% rain (as in, 70% of the year it is raining). An Englishman never travels without an umbrella! As some have said, is there a chance you can travel without her? It would be a shame for your nieces and nephew to have a disappointing trip because someone is going to be moaning and groaning the whole time. It sounds like a lot of effort has gone into this trip, too. If I was wary of a little rain, I would hardly be able leave my house. We are also a week away, and the forecasts sound magical to me. Anything warmer than 12oC is fantastic! :p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom