World of Color and the California water crisis

TP2000

The governor of that massive state declared it a statewide situation, and issued a mandate for 25% reduction in use (except, I know, for certain exempted uses) STATEWIDE. That includes Anaheim, which is why I thought it relevant, even though I know that the state is large.

It actually depends on which city you live in. Here in Orange County, the smallest SoCal county by land mass and population with only 3.1 Million people, has a patchwork quilt of water restrictions. They vary from a requested 8% reduction in water use by Seal Beach, to 12% for Santa Ana, to up to 30% for the small town I live in, Villa Park.

And like clockwork, as I type this at Midnight in my den, the neighbor's automatic sprinkler system kicks in blanketing the hillside with water. :D

There's no question this is a drought. We've had 'em before and we'll have 'em again. Things like cities not watering the grass in traffic medians, or citizens not watering your lawn in the heat of the afternoon sun, need to be implemented to help out. And everyone should help out, within reason.

But cancelling a vacation to California because you're afraid the minuscule amount of water you would use during your week here in a hotel is absolutely hilarious. Or that by somehow not being in the audience for World Of Color this summer will save water, that's even funnier.

That would be like me cancelling a trip to New England because of the shortage of Natural Gas in New England due to man-made energy policy by several New England states. Natural Gas in Southern California is used widely in homes and industry and costs a fraction of what consumers in New England have been paying due to the shortage there.

This past winter Natural Gas spot prices soared to over $20.00 BTU in New England, while prices for Natural Gas in SoCal hovered around $2.50 BTU amidst a glut of cheap energy and very plentiful Natural Gas here. In the 21st century, the cost and availability of electricity is just as important as the cost and availability of water. But if I had a trip to New England planned, I certainly wouldn't cancel it because of the energy shortage and pipeline crisis in those states.

Last edited:

Nemo14

I don't know EVERYTHING, I actually know just barely enough about a lot of things to be semi-dangerous. It also makes me a fun guest at a dinner party. :D

In defense of @Nemo14, who hails from Rhode Island according to her profile, I've lived in New England and know how different the perspective can be when the states are smaller than most West Coast counties. (I also lived in coastal Virginia, not far from where @prberk hails from in Richmond)

The mainstream news media is really the one to blame here, for touting The Drought! in an attempt to get page views and clicks and Neilsen ratings. But when you live back East in those very small states that our founding fathers set up, it's very hard to comprehend the sheer scale and scope of a giant state like California.

As a comparison, here's Orange County (Southern California's smallest county) versus the entire State of Rhode Island where @Nemo14 lives.

State of Rhode Island
1,214 Square Miles (37 Miles Wide, 48 Miles Long)
Population - 1.05 Million People
Median Income - $54,500
Largest City - Providence, 110,000 People
Highest Elevation - 805 Feet, Jeremiah Hill
Lowest Elevation - Sea Level, Atlantic Ocean

Orange County
1,102 Square Miles (32 Miles Wide, 43 Miles Long)
Population - 3.1 Million People
Median Income - $81,260
Largest City - Anaheim, 345,000 People
Highest Elevation - 5,687 Feet, Santiago Peak
Lowest Elevation - Sea Level, Pacific Ocean

State of California
163,696 Square Miles (250 Miles Wide, 780 Miles Long)
Population - 38.9 Million People
Median Income - $61,200
Largest City - Los Angeles, 12.1 Million People
Highest Elevation - 14,505 Feet, Mount Whitney
Lowest Elevation - 282 Feet Below Sea Level, Death Valley

Rhode Island is roughly the size of Orange County, but with one third the number of people. The neighboring states of Massachusetts and Connecticut combined at 16,000 square miles don't even equal the land mass of Orange County's neighbor San Bernardino County with over 20,000 square miles in just that one inland county alone.

Californians often forget the MASSIVE scale and scope of our great western home. Heck, WDI created a famous E Ticket hang gliding ride that attempts to represent the entire state, but only scratches the surface. When someone from the East Coast hears that there's a big drought in California from our dumbed-down modern media, they can't help but imagine that it must be impacting the entire state instead of just specific regions and/or industries in that massive state.

It actually depends on which city you live in. Here in Orange County, the smallest SoCal county by land mass and population with only 3.1 Million people, has a patchwork quilt of water restrictions. They vary from a requested 8% reduction in water use by Seal Beach, to 12% for Santa Ana, to up to 30% for the small town I live in, Villa Park.

And like clockwork, as I type this at Midnight in my den, the neighbor's automatic sprinkler system kicks in blanketing the hillside with water. :D

There's no question this is a drought. We've had 'em before and we'll have 'em again. Things like cities not watering the grass in traffic medians, or citizens not watering your lawn in the heat of the afternoon sun, need to be implemented to help out. And everyone should help out, within reason.

But cancelling a vacation to California because you're afraid the minuscule amount of water you would use during your week here in a hotel is absolutely hilarious. Or that by somehow not being in the audience for World Of Color this summer will save water, that's even funnier.

That would be like me cancelling a trip to New England because of the shortage of Natural Gas in New England due to man-made energy policy by several New England states. Natural Gas in Southern California is used widely in homes and industry and costs a fraction of what consumers in New England have been paying due to the shortage there.

This past winter Natural Gas spot prices soared to over $20.00 BTU in New England, while prices for Natural Gas in SoCal hovered around $2.50 BTU amidst a glut of cheap energy and very plentiful Natural Gas here. In the 21st century, the cost and availability of electricity is just as important as the cost and availability of water. But if I had a trip to New England planned, I certainly wouldn't cancel it because of the energy shortage and pipeline crisis in those states.

I'm glad you have found someone to laugh at. I had responded to your last snarky post about me being a RI'er and hence not knowing that CA is bigger, but I deleted the post to keep this discussion civil. Since our planned vacation included much more than LA (I know it's shocking to you to think that I know that there is more to your state than that), we discussed at length the pro's and cons of postponing our trip until there were more favorable conditions, and made an informed decision that was right for us. I'm glad that I was able to keep you entertained - enjoy yourself at that next dinner party!

Californian Elitist

I'm glad you have found someone to laugh at. I had responded to your last snarky post about me being a RI'er and hence not knowing that CA is bigger, but I deleted the post to keep this discussion civil. Since our planned vacation included much more than LA (I know it's shocking to you to think that I know that there is more to your state than that), we discussed at length the pro's and cons of postponing our trip until there were more favorable conditions, and made an informed decision that was right for us. I'm glad that I was able to keep you entertained - enjoy yourself at that next dinner party!

Nemo, on behalf of the Californians here on the site, especially the natives, I want to apologize if you've felt offended in any way. I don't think TP was intentionally being snarky towards you, but I can see it bothered you. I don't want you to think Californians are stuck-up big shots who think we're all that. There may be some out there, but we're not them.

If you really want to visit us, make the trip. If you come when the drought ends, you'll be waiting years and years. Just make the trip and have a great time. I'm sure you had some lovely plans mapped out. Whenever you decide to go, whether soon or later, visit us for tips! We don't bite and we won't come off as snobs. :)

Nemo14

Nemo, on behalf of the Californians here on the site, especially the natives, I want to apologize if you've felt offended in any way. I don't think TP was intentionally being snarky towards you, but I can see it bothered you. I don't want you to think Californians are stuck-up big shots who think we're all that. There may be some out there, but we're not them.

If you really want to visit us, make the trip. If you come when the drought ends, you'll be waiting years and years. Just make the trip and have a great time. I'm sure you had some lovely plans mapped out. Whenever you decide to go, whether soon or later, visit us for tips! We don't bite and we won't come off as snobs. :)
Thank you raven. We will be there at some point - DH has never been. But it won't be this year, we've made other plans that we're quite excited about.

TP2000

Thank you @raven24, you summed up my thoughts nicely. I think this is really a story about our dumbed-down mainstream media looking for ad dollars and clicks, and not a story about California running out of water to perform World of Color.

So with that, I'll just leave it at that. If folks want to cancel vacations to California to help save water, then go for it. I hope their summer plans turn out nicely wherever their airplane lands. :)

prberk

Original Poster

The parks blogs links did not seem to work. I searched the Parks Blog for "recycle water" and did not seem to come up with the article you all are trying to cite. If it comes up again, maybe repost it.

The Public Affairs page comes up with a page about draining large bodies of water (with the water from such drainage going to the Orange County aquafer system) when the lakes are drained and about drought-tolerant plants and water-efficient buildings. I like that the asphalt in the Toy Story parking lot allows rainwater runoff to be captured and returned to the underground water system.

These are good ideas, to be sure, but neither page addresses water evaporation from decorative fountains.

I believe that Disney is conscientious mostly, or at least where many corporations would be.

I do think that the big waste of water by evaporation in World of Color and some of Fantasmic is still something that might make enough of a difference to consider, both for the actual conservation and for the message it would send. Worth thinking about anyway.

Travel Junkie

Apparently the parks blog pulled it for some unknown reason. For those interested in learning more about the aquifer that TP wrote about earlier, follow this link.

http://www.gwrsystem.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

here is the text from the blog post:

Tomorrow is Earth Day, and conserving water is one of our key environmental goals at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Water has always played an important role in creating the magic. However, many guests are unaware that we recycle nearly all the water we use at the Disneyland Resort.
We began this practice in 2008 when we first drained Paradise Bay in preparation for World of Color. Rather than sending the water down storm drains into the ocean, we partnered with the Orange County Water District (OCWD) and diverted the water to its innovative Groundwater Replenishment System (GWRS). At the GWRS, water undergoes a state-of-the-art purification process, and then its released into Orange Countys underground aquifer. Clean water is drawn from the aquifer by local water agencies and distributed to end-users such as homes and businesses. (See more about the GWRS here.)
“We are so fortunate to have the GWRS the worlds largest water purification project of its kind right in our backyard, said Frank Dela Vara, director of environmental affairs at the Disneyland Resort. “We wanted to take advantage of the possibility of recycling all of our water, so we embarked on a multiyear project that put the infrastructure in place to allow it to happen. Today, a vast amount of the water used at the Resort is recycled in this manner.”

“Disneyland Resort proactively took steps to significantly reduce its net water use and sets a great example for other businesses and organizations to follow, said Cathy Green, OCWD president. Our partnership with Disney demonstrates how public and private agencies can best work together to promote sustainability.
So, the water Orange County residents get when they turn on their taps could be the same water they sailed over on the Mark Twain Riverboat during their last visit to the Disneyland Resort! Read more about Disneyland Resort water conservation here.

TP2000

We had planned a trip to CA for September but have cancelled largely because of the drought, and I'm sure that others have done so too.

I don't normally dig up old six month old threads, but this one was so memorable that a story in the local newspaper today reminded me of it.

Disneyland had a banner year in 2015, set new attendance records, packed 'em in, etc. Hotel occupancy in the Anaheim Resort District is at record high levels, and a almost a half dozen snazzy new hotels have opened up in 2015. The Diamond Celebration was wildly successful and not to be missed.

Yet... the drought continues that was all the rage last spring with clickbait news stories for unsuspecting East Coasters, but now the local tourist industry is planning for possible tourist cancellations due to El Nino and rain. HA! http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ni241o-694724-travel-impact.html

Hotels near the airport expect to see an uptick from cancelled flights, but hotels near Disneyland dealing with record crowds don't. From the story...
And Cindy Smith, director of sales and marketing at Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel, does not expect El Niño to affect that hotel. “Reservations for December are above pace from last year,” Smith said. “We are projecting 10 percent more occupancy over 2014 right now. The preliminary reports on El Niño’s influenced storms are not keeping our visitors away.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom