A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Clearly, the next Star Wars spin-off should feature Olaf and Jar Jar Binks. :D
Jar Jar.... Olaf.. together...
gQVLhrU.gif

YOU SINNER!!!

Tony Perkis

Except with Lucasfilm...they are masters with the fan base. No other film company matches what Lucasfilm brings to the table when it comes to these fan base celebrations.
The people at Lucasfilm do care and do get it. No one can question that. Disney needs to learn from this group of people on how to handle fan relations.
Don't believe me? Have your son or daughter write to Lucasfilm about Star Wars or Indy.....they will write back.
Maybe I'm to close to the subject. I'll stand by my words. Lucasfilm gets the fan base.

Disney needs to study how Lucasfilm handles its intellectual property with its fan base. I hope Iger took notes this weekend.
Yeah, Lucasfilm is awesome with the Star Wars fans.

You know what would make them even more awesome?

The theatrical cuts of the Original trilogy on Blu-Ray.

PhotoDave219

Wow, someone really can't take movie executives being criticised. Too close to home?

Are we really back to the whole 'people on the internet must declare their sources!' nonsense again? I thought this was over the last time ParentsOf4 was being interrogated.

Trollin aint easy.

@wdwmagic has shown me the light: Put the tard on ignore and move on with your life.....

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Quick Hits:

The MK #HubBub is as bad in person as it is in photos, maybe worse. It would be nice somewhere else, but not where it is.

WDW is still operationally deciding to force Guests to MK, where they'll spend money, by keeping it open until 11 or midnight nightly the rest of April despite the fact that all Spring Breaks are long over, while closing all the other parks at 6-9 p.m.

Brooks Barnes. You gotta love him doing PR for the WDC again $DIS in the NYT. Now, they fly him to Anaheim to gush over the way Lucasfilm treats its fans and puts in a plug for D23 at the same time (I read this at midnight while sitting on a wall, since benches are verbotten in the MK, in the new Hub.)

Show quality at MK is as bad as ever. Splash Mountain, which looked great just a year ago, has serious issues and the logs have mold growing in them -- again. So many effects not working. Missing AAs. AAs moving, but no audio. ... Pirates ... when you can spot dozens of things wrong before you even hit the burning town, well that speaks volumes. Mermaid has gotten the DCA upgrades, but is missing a Scuttle AA in the queue. Buzz is filthy and ghetto-like.

Florida's wretched summer has decided that May is way too late to start, so April has 90-plus degree temps, 80% humidity and rain. Truly I understand why you crazies from other states love it here so much.

Prices on food went up at some point since I last visited in December across the board. Disney now actively wants a per person charge of $15 and above at QSRs.

Yes, I stole soda. Yes, I am proud. Yes, I know no-lifers care about this. If they didn't, then I wouldn't write it.

So, with all the Lifestylers and bloggers in O-Town, you'd think they'd photograph and note changes. Like the conveyor belt of candy in the Confectionary that hasn't worked since W's first term was removed entirely. Yes, that's how Disney fixes things.

EPCOT looks beautiful. But really, when are they just going to have food booths year round? We all know that they want to.

AC temps are absurd. Warm and clammy pretty much everywhere that isn't a shop. UNI doesn't do that. Disney just shows outright contempt for its consumers ... I won't dignify it by using Guests since I'd never invite Guests to my home and turn the AC up to 78 and shut it off completely at night.

Tomorrowland preview opened today. I got a pin. A friend said I could eBay it for $500. I got excited knowing how many crazies there are out there. Then, I saw $19.99 prices. Not worth my time. The movie looks very good -- I have faith in Brad Bird and Damon Lindeloff to deliver.

The whole WDW experience has become so 'industrial' to use the word of a colleague. The layers are constantly removed for efficiency ... efficiency in packing people in and taking every last cent. From the Hub disaster to the third bus loop to the total removal of greenery around TSSTFBKaDD. You can now see clear to I-4. But that is the plan, right? That's why Old Dead Guy Walt bought the land: because he loved traffic and urban sprawl. I'm just not seeing the MAGIC, but again I have been a regular since the 70s and an APer since 1982, so clearly my perspective means nothing.

Spent part of today on the fourth floor of the Beach Club walking in about 20 rooms that had been renovated and had the doors left open. I like them, but the workmanship is so damn shoddy. Doors that were painted a few weeks ago, already have chips in rooms that are in inventory. They all were never sanded down, just more paint thrown on top. Have any of you actually looked at the wood on the baseboards in that place -- dirty, gouged out chunks, places where you can tell they've painted 11 times without ever sanding it. You see that's what separates a typical Marriott from a Disney luxury resort.

Of course, I watched as a group of managers (not one who looked like they made more than $35K a year) came up to do a check and all I could think is ''No, they wouldn't be managing a Hilton in Tulsa.''

There's no doubt that the Dolphin (new home to the @EPCOT Explorer family with those great teacher rates) is a much more upscale and classier place. It too is in the early stages of a massive renovation.

I get the whole 'why MM+ lovers' believe it is the greatest thing since Dole Whip. They;re the ones who complained about crisscrossing the MK 21 times a day to get FPs. But that is the entire problem with the old and new systems: They make the lands meaningless. You don't visit the MK as it was designed, as it was intended. You don't spend hours in Tomorrowland and then move to Fantasyland. Nope, you ride the rides. Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Little Mermaid, Dumbo, Pirates and meet characters and eat at meals you booked with a credit card six months ago. You don't get transported to different times and places. The entire FP system, both old and now high-tech (not really!) MM+, is antithetical to what a WDW vacation was all about for the resort's first 30 years. THAT is a story that @AustinC won't be writing. How technology is destroying a WDW vacation.

I can get the fanbois love for EPCOT, even now, as I have it. ANd for DAK. But MK?!?! From people who have visited DL? DLP? The very lucky few like myself who have been to HKDL and TDL? I don't get it. I'm not done with WDW, but very close to being done with the Ghetto Kingdom. Packed all the time. Rides that show no care, no showmanship. A feeling that the place has had the MAGIC sucked out of it. Why bother? Oh yeah, it's the only park that I can be in at 12:30 a.m.

Can you believe Phil Holmes has two E-Tix closed at the same time (both Small World and Jungle Cruise)? I was thinking that fanbois should start leaving tooth brushes, dental rinse and floss under his pic in Not So New Fantasyland.

Is it just my rose-colored view of the past or has drainage at the MK become a huge issue?

Favorite Fanboi Pickup line I've heard this week in O-Town: You're Like Hub Grass ... I Just Want To Sit On You!

Time for a weekend of MAGIC ... will catch up with y'all next week. No stalkers please.

Last edited:

RivieraJenn

I get the whole 'why MM+ lovers' believe it is the greatest thing since Dole Whip. They;re the ones who complained about crisscrossing the MK 21 times a day to get FPs. But that is the entire problem with the old and new systems: They make the lands meaningless. You don't visit the MK as it was designed, as it was intended. You don't spend hours in Tomorrowland and then move to Fantasyland. Nope, you ride the rides. Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Little Mermaid, Dumbo, Pirates and meet characters and eat at meals you booked with a credit card six months ago. You don't get transported to different times and places. The entire FP system, both old and now high-tech (not really!) MM+, is antithetical to what a WDW vacation was all about for the resort's first 30 years.

I've thought about this a good deal, and while I agree that MM+ has certainly made this issue worse, I believe the actual culprit for this ride-and-dash trend is overcrowding, at least at the MK. It's impossible to feel immersed when you're being pushed along by a herd that could rival a wildebeest migration. It's hard to slow down and take in the details when the only details you can see over a sea of heads are the roof lines. (I am kind of a short chick, so maybe others don't have as much of a problem with this!) Compound that by removing features that invite people to explore or to simply observe (hello, benches), and you end up with the theme-park equivalent of the airport kiss-and-fly lane, where you are not welcome to linger.

gmajew

Premium Member
Spirited Quick Hits:

The MK #HubBub is as bad in person as it is in photos, maybe worse. It would be nice somewhere else, but not where it is.

WDW is still operationally deciding to force Guests to MK, where they'll spend money, by keeping it open until 11 or midnight nightly the rest of April despite the fact that all Spring Breaks are long over, while closing all the other parks at 6-9 p.m.

Brooks Barnes. You gotta love him doing PR for the WDC again $DIS in the NYT. Now, they fly him to Anaheim to gush over the way Lucasfilm treats its fans and puts in a plug for D23 at the same time (I read this at midnight while sitting on a wall, since benches are verbotten in the MK, in the new Hub.)

Show quality at MK is as bad as ever. Splash Mountain, which looked great just a year ago, has serious issues and the logs have mold growing in them -- again. So many effects not working. Missing AAs. AAs moving, but no audio. ... Pirates ... when you can spot dozens of things wrong before you even hit the burning town, well that speaks volumes. Mermaid has gotten the DCA upgrades, but is missing a Scuttle AA in the queue. Buzz is filthy and ghetto-like.

Florida's wretched summer has decided that May is way too late to start, so April has 90-plus degree temps, 80% humidity and rain. Truly I understand why you crazies from other states love it here so much.

Prices on food went up at some point since I last visited in December across the board. Disney now actively wants a per person charge of $15 and above at QSRs.

Yes, I stole soda. Yes, I am proud. Yes, I know no-lifers care about this. If they didn't, then I wouldn't write it.

So, with all the Lifestylers and bloggers in O-Town, you'd think they'd photograph and note changes. Like the conveyor belt of candy in the Confectionary that hasn't worked since W's first term was removed entirely. Yes, that's how Disney fixes things.

EPCOT looks beautiful. But really, when are they just going to have food booths year round? We all know that they want to.

AC temps are absurd. Warm and clammy pretty much everywhere that isn't a shop. UNI doesn't do that. Disney just shows outright contempt for its consumers ... I won't dignify it by using Guests since I'd never invite Guests to my home and turn the AC up to 78 and shut it off completely at night.

Tomorrowland preview opened today. I got a pin. A friend said I could eBay it for $500. I got excited knowing how many crazies there are out there. Then, I saw $19.99 prices. Not worth my time. The movie looks very good -- I have faith in Brad Bird and Damon Lindeloff to deliver.

The whole WDW experience has become so 'industrial' to use the word of a colleague. The layers are constantly removed for efficiency ... efficiency in packing people in and taking every last cent. From the Hub disaster to the third bus loop to the total removal of greenery around TSSTFBKaDD. You can now see clear to I-4. But that is the plan, right? That's why Old Dead Guy Walt bought the land: because he loved traffic and urban sprawl. I'm just not seeing the MAGIC, but again I have been a regular since the 70s and an APer since 1982, so clearly my perspective means nothing.

Spent part of today on the fourth floor of the Beach Club walking in about 20 rooms that had been renovated and had the doors left open. I like them, but the workmanship is so damn shoddy. Doors that were painted a few weeks ago, already have chips in rooms that are in inventory. They all were never sanded down, just more paint thrown on top. Have any of you actually looked at the wood on the baseboards in that place -- dirty, gouged out chunks, places where you can tell they've painted 11 times without ever sanding it. You see that's what separates a typical Marriott from a Disney luxury resort.

Of course, I watched as a group of managers (not one who looked like they made more than $35K a year) came up to do a check and all I could think is ''No, they wouldn't be managing a Hilton in Tulsa.''

There's no doubt that the Dolphin (new home to the @EPCOT Explorer family with those great teacher rates) is a much more upscale and classier place. It too is in the early stages of a massive renovation.

I get the whole 'why MM+ lovers' believe it is the greatest thing since Dole Whip. They;re the ones who complained about crisscrossing the MK 21 times a day to get FPs. But that is the entire problem with the old and new systems: They make the lands meaningless. You don't visit the MK as it was designed, as it was intended. You don't spend hours in Tomorrowland and then move to Fantasyland. Nope, you ride the rides. Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Little Mermaid, Dumbo, Pirates and meet characters and eat at meals you booked with a credit card six months ago. You don't get transported to different times and places. The entire FP system, both old and now high-tech (not really!) MM+, is antithetical to what a WDW vacation was all about for the resort's first 30 years. THAT is a story that @AustinC won't be writing. How technology is destroying a WDW vacation.

I can get the fanbois love for EPCOT, even now, as I have it. ANd for DAK. But MK?!?! From people who have visited DL? DLP? The very lucky few like myself who have been to HKDL and TDL? I don't get it. I'm not done with WDW, but very close to being done with the Ghetto Kingdom. Packed all the time. Rides that show no care, no showmanship. A feeling that the place has had the MAGIC sucked out of it. Why bother? Oh yeah, it's the only park that I can be in at 12:30 a.m.

Can you believe Phil Holmes has two E-Tix closed at the same time (both Small World and Jungle Cruise)? I was thinking that fanbois should start leaving tooth brushes, dental rinse and floss under his pic in Not So New Fantasyland.

Is it just my rose-colored view of the past or has drainage at the MK become a huge issue?

Favorite Fanboi Pickup line I've heard this week in O-Town: You're Like Hub Grass ... I Just Want To Sit On You!

Time for a weekend of MAGIC ... will catch up with y'all next week. No stalkers please.

Sorry could not get the quote part tomworkmon the iPad. But what effects were not working on Splash Mountain? When I was their in !arch everything was working. So what could of possibly changed in a few weeks.

Magenta Panther

I just noticed something...

Michael Eisner did a lot of good things for the theme parks, but stunk at being a CEO...
Bob Iger has done a lot of good things for the company, but jack-diddly-squat for the parks...

I've said this before: Despite his mistakes, Eisner at least seemed to LIKE Disney - and understood and appreciated, at least to some extent, what Disney is supposed to be about. Iger just sees Disney as a conglomerate of brands to be exploited - his idea of "plussing", I suppose... :p

Magenta Panther

I have to disagree that this is a bad thing. The MK is where I spend the most time, and it's beautiful at night. I've always thought it a bummer when it closes early. I wish it would stay open until midnight all the time.

BrianLo

I can get the fanbois love for EPCOT, even now, as I have it. ANd for DAK. But MK?!?! From people who have visited DL? DLP? The very lucky few like myself who have been to HKDL and TDL? I don't get it.

All I'll say to that is I would place DLP circa summer 2013 squarely in last place. Marks for originality, beauty and "potential" aside, that was truly the ghetto kingdom. 90 minute waits to get walk up quick service while locations were shuttered, a kid actually fainting in line due to lack of AC, the place was covered in a thick smog of tobacco... Not to mention the general state of maintenance. Of course, Disney at the time was in the active process of running the place to the ground in order to buy it out...

Hopefully both it and MK change for the better sooner than later.

acishere

I have to disagree that this is a bad thing. The MK is where I spend the most time, and it's beautiful at night. I've always thought it a bummer when it closes early. I wish it would stay open until midnight all the time.
Reading his post I think he has more of an issue with MK being the only park that has late hours on such a regular basis. Instead of spreading all the late night people across 2+ parks, they are all being funneled to MK.

However, the only other park that really has enough offerings to regularly stay open that late is Epcot and I'm sure that would lead to a whole new set of complaints. Plus, late night families are going still pick MK over any other park. So the crowds probably wouldn't move elsewhere no matter what they do with the hours at the other 3 parks. The other parks need more attractions first.

Ariel1986

All I'll say to that is I would place DLP circa summer 2013 squarely in last place. Marks for originality, beauty and "potential" aside, that was truly the ghetto kingdom. 90 minute waits to get walk up quick service while locations were shuttered, a kid actually fainting in line due to lack of AC, the place was covered in a thick smog of tobacco... Not to mention the general state of maintenance. Of course, Disney at the time was in the active process of running the place to the ground in order to buy it out...

Hopefully both it and MK change for the better sooner than later.

Ditto this for 2011. The visit was one after a 7 year break from visiting (grew up going to DLP) and I couldn't believe the state of the place. Am hoping the reported improvements are true and am thinking of planning a return soon to see...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom