TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

wdwgreek

Just went on the GMR, everything is looking good, expect the witch's mouth was doing some funky things with consonants. It moved but did not have her full range of motion. It was weird.

prberk

She probably just had some dental work done and the Novocaine hadn't worn off yet. :arghh: Don't you hate it when that happens?

I can't get Novacaine at the dentist without worrying that if I talk I am going to slobber and sound like Bill Cosby in that famous routine from his '80s HBO special (called "Himself," I think) that ran over and over during my teen years...

Goofyernmost

Not sure when it started, but GMR now has a slightly updated version of the finale film:

-Rob

I rode it in Mid-February and it seemed to be what that is. However, to be honest, I do not retain the entire thing, but, almost all of it seemed like I had seen it before it "movie ride" context.

Skippy

Would make sense to move to digital, it's odd that they took time to convert the old montage if the plan is to replace it.

I couldn't see any content differences in this new version: comparison between this and a youtube video from a year ago (You might have to fidget a bit to get them more in sync). Besides it looking like the old version cut out a tiny bit of the lower portion of film.

Last edited:

Robert Rosko

I couldn't see any content differences in this new version: comparison between this and a youtube video from a year ago (You might have to fidget a bit to get them more in sync). Besides it looking like the old version cut out a tiny bit of the lower portion of film.

You know, I apologize, you are absolutely correct. Side by side they look identical. Having probably been on the ride a hundred times, I could have sworn something looked different, like a clip here or there. Guess not! Either my mind is playing tricks on me or I've been unnoticeably dozing off in the finale for years and that's why things appear new...

Otterhead

When is this update going to start because when I went on the ride yesterday and it seems that a lot of the animatronics are not what they used to be. One of the aliens didnt work, many mouthes didnt move at all, and many scenes were silent not to mention the host not getting their timing right. I hope they start this update soon to bring back its former glory.
When I went in early Feb., not only was everything working well, some of the animatronics and effects that've been immobile for awhile were working. Everything looked great.

Rob562

There still seems to be a bit of flickering for something Digital. It certainly looks more pristine than usual, though

Digital doesn't eliminate flicker. Any time you have two separate pieces of technology with their own frame rates (projector and hand-held camera) you're bound to get some form of flickering unless they're locked together or adjusted in some way.

The one thing I have to say about the YouTube video though is that the video camera's stabilization function was making for some odd-looking zooms in a few places.

-Rob

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Yeah, don't see anything new there, unless I'm missing something. The most recent film is the first Narnia movie... and that was ages ago.
Narnia LW&W came out for the 2005 holiday season. I thought, "No way was this updated." As much as I liked the LW&W, it doesn't deserve the time and space in that montage almost 10 years later. I understand Disney wanted to promote the film at the time, but they don't even produce the series anymore.

Secondly, and I don't know when this changed; but that cheap CGI flyover of Hollywood at the end of the montage looks bad.

Magenta Panther

Narnia LW&W came out for the 2005 holiday season. I thought, "No way was this updated." As much as I liked the LW&W, it doesn't deserve the time and space in that montage almost 10 years later.

It certainly doesn't deserve to be paired with a scene from The Wizard of Oz.

It's really too bad about the Narnia films. I still think they should have been animated - traditionally animated. And the movies left much too much out from the Narnia books, especially Prince Caspian. Little of the magic and lyricism of the books wound up on the screen. Having said that, I might take a look at "The Silver Chair" when it comes out...if Puddleglum looks right.

MonorailLover

When I went in early Feb., not only was everything working well, some of the animatronics and effects that've been immobile for awhile were working. Everything looked great.

I think that TCM will hopefully kick Disney in the a$$ to get their AA's working, as there is no reason to team up with Disney, to redo videos, but still have a somewhat broken down ride.

I guess this is the accountant-businessman side of me, but I do hope it happens.

spectromagic04

@ on Twitter posted this picture showing that the pre show is now digital

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 316

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom