Disney Parks Expectations

Do your pre-trip expectations for WDW or DL fall short of, meet, or exceed your actual experience?

• Total voters

KCheatle

Original Poster
Might not be the best thread to post this on, but this post form WDWInfo on "why we go", really speaks volumes.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/the-whole-world-and-beyond-in-27-square-miles/

I think that article is wonderful and is about as close as it gets to putting my love for WDW into words. But, as I read more and more about DL, I'm also starting to get really excited again. I'm seeing now that there are really cool differences. For example, I'm super excited to try the beignets from the Jazz Kitchen take out window in DTD for breakfast. That's not a possibility at WDW - I can't pop out of WL in WDW and grab a quick bite in DTD to take back to the room! That would be at least 1 hour round trip.

I'm also super excited about just walking to the parks from our hotel. I have walked from the Contemp to MK before. But, to have the ability to walk everywhere and even have an entrance directly to CA from the hotel is amazing! Having spent countless minutes (which added up over time now easily equal several hours) walking to, waiting for, then riding buses at WDW, I LOVE the idea that I am in complete control of how long it takes me to get from point A to point B.

Yes, I will miss Epcot. That's probably the one thing I'm certain I will miss. But, it's not like I'll never be in Epcot again. Plus, I've always thought it'd be cool to go on Soarin in California. And, now we'll get to do that. And...we'll get to do it with the whole thing completely re-furbished. ;)

At the end of the day, I'm still nervous. But I'm getting gradually less and less nervous, and more and more excited to experience the differences, especially since I do believe I will keep that total immersion I get from WDW since I will never leave Disney property.

bebert

I would not say Anaheim is a dump but, it is a different feel than WDW. WDW is not in the middle of a city so you don't see the typical city stuff (dirty streets, homeless, etc). Also the size of DL was a shock to me when I was there in October. WDW is so much bigger and spread out. I would say the only thing I did miss was the EPCOT type experience while I was there. You have experienced the travel time to the parks at WDW, it is nothing like that at DL if you are staying at DL Hotel or Grand Californian. You are a relaxing 10 minute walk to each park from those hotels. I think some of the rooms at GC even over look Downtown Disney from what I remember.
With all that said, you will not be disappointed. For me there was such a strong sense of Disney history in DL that WDW just can not match. I also came away from DL being some what disappointed in WDW. POTC and SW absolutely blow the FL versions out of the water, the comparison is not even close IMO. The Blue Bayou restaurant being connected to POTC is very cool. If you are a fan of Disney, you will enjoy every moment at DLR.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Purely based on overall interactions with cast members in my experience, WDW far exceeds DL. WDW also is much more orderly--for example, maintaining lines that aren't confined by a queue.

Those are the two things in my experience that I think falls short at DL. Other than that, it's wonderful there. Lots of churros! Enjoy your trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom