Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

FigmentForver96

I think I would completely forget about The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad (and why is it a kind of?) before I forgot about the massive, in-your-face Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.
I absolutely despise that coaster. Wait in forever longs lines for a coaster that is jerky, not to mention the intrusiveness to the theme of New York and Hollywood. Honestly they could have done something better then that.

Animaniac93-98

One thing that I was thinking about the other day was the insane ratio of attractions based on IPs Universal has compared to its original attractions. Disney has a great deal of attractions that aren't related to movies and/or TV shows but nearly every attraction at Universal is tied to one. I thought it was rather fascinating that Disney gets ridiculed consistently for making attractions based on movies whereas Universal does it to the enjoyment of its fans, typically.

Universal has always sold itself as "ride the movies!" It's there thing and they do it well.

Disney copying this strategy with comparatively unimpressive rides (Aladdin spinner, Stitch makeover, Nemo at Epcot) is annoying for this reason, particularily when you consider how well they built their parks without it.

Mike S

Original Poster
New pics from OU.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

JoeCamel

Sorry I don't think Universal should be trying to attract infants and toddlers. It causes to many problems, leave that up to Disney. You can't be everything to every one or you end up nothing to no one. This is coming from a guy with children, I've been there done that at places that are designed for small children and I'm tired of it. Different environments that just don't go together in my mind. I've over the strollers etc. I don't need to be around the babies/toddlers, like I said been there done that. I don't need to be around old people who constantly talk about health issues and death, don't need that either. I'll be old some day and I hope I never end up in that crowd. Not to be mean but I don't want to be in places that try to cater to everyone.

I have to agree that attracting stroller age kids is not going to work at UO and especially at IOA. I was there yesterday on a slow crowd day and a single doublewide stroller would clog the narrow paths by itself. I shudder to think what a hoard of them would do to the experience. I have done MK on days when you just could not move due to the strollers and it really detracts from the parks. Keep it for the 8 and up crowd.

cheezbat

I absolutely despise that coaster. Wait in forever longs lines for a coaster that is jerky, not to mention the intrusiveness to the theme of New York and Hollywood. Honestly they could have done something better then that.
I've grown to hate it too. I was psyched for a new coaster the year it opened, but not thrilled with the placement...but in the following years it's gotten rough, had many breakdowns and issues, and just does not fit the rest of the USF park. It's like the garbage Arrow looper coasters at every Six Flags that are still standing but only a handful of people want to ride...some ride it still for the credit, but not because it's a good ride.

I would not be sad one bit if this coaster got torn down. I would've been more okay with this big eyesore if it was a quality ride like something B&M would build.

cheezbat

I have to agree that attracting stroller age kids is not going to work at UO and especially at IOA. I was there yesterday on a slow crowd day and a single doublewide stroller would clog the narrow paths by itself. I shudder to think what a hoard of them would do to the experience. I have done MK on days when you just could not move due to the strollers and it really detracts from the parks. Keep it for the 8 and up crowd.
I was at IOA today standing off the edge of the path enjoying the view of the Kongstruction, and an aggressive and pushy mother hit me with her stroller...the woman with her double wide didnt even say sorry.

I hate those things.

mahnamahna101

Sorry I don't think Universal should be trying to attract infants and toddlers. It causes to many problems, leave that up to Disney. You can't be everything to every one or you end up nothing to no one. This is coming from a guy with children, I've been there done that at places that are designed for small children and I'm tired of it. Different environments that just don't go together in my mind. I've over the strollers etc. I don't need to be around the babies/toddlers, like I said been there done that. I don't need to be around old people who constantly talk about health issues and death, don't need that either. I'll be old some day and I hope I never end up in that crowd. Not to be mean but I don't want to be in places that try to cater to everyone.
I never said Universal should primarily focus on toddlers/infants. But rides like the Seuss Trolley, E.T. and Cat should be accessible to them. E.T. having a height requirement is ridiculous when they could easily provide an all-ages vehicle. Cat having a height requirement is ridiculous since it doesn't spin hardly anymore.

More importantly, since when does all-ages dark ride mean toddlers/infants? The new Kong E-ticket will be all-ages. Hogwarts Express is all-ages. Disaster is technically all-ages (no lap sitting). POTC, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Great Movie Ride, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey to Imagination, Living with the Land, Universe of Energy, Maelstrom, Mystic Manor, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea... none of those all-ages dark rides primarily target/targeted infants or toddlers or preschoolers.

Universal needs more additions the majority of people can enjoy. Obviously, not everyone will enjoy a particular addition.

I understand frustration over the strollers, but your comments about old people seem extremely ignorant. Most older adults simply can't handle the manic style of Universal's E-tickets, but that doesn't mean they don't want an alternative to Disney.

JoeCamel

I never said Universal should primarily focus on toddlers/infants. But rides like the Seuss Trolley, E.T. and Cat should be accessible to them. E.T. having a height requirement is ridiculous when they could easily provide an all-ages vehicle. Cat having a height requirement is ridiculous since it doesn't spin hardly anymore.

More importantly, since when does all-ages dark ride mean toddlers/infants? The new Kong E-ticket will be all-ages. Hogwarts Express is all-ages. Disaster is technically all-ages (no lap sitting). POTC, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Great Movie Ride, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey to Imagination, Living with the Land, Universe of Energy, Maelstrom, Mystic Manor, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea... none of those all-ages dark rides primarily target/targeted infants or toddlers or preschoolers.

Universal needs more additions the majority of people can enjoy. Obviously, not everyone will enjoy a particular addition.

I understand frustration over the strollers, but your comments about old people seem extremely ignorant. Most older adults simply can't handle the manic style of Universal's E-tickets, but that doesn't mean they don't want an alternative to Disney.

Seems like Universal knows how to attract people that spend in their parks and more of them without making it a frustrating experience to walk in the park. Just look at the latest numbers for gains in attendance and guest spend. They are doing it without creating a world of dumbo spinners and kiddie rides. Leave the strollers at home people. Your kids need the exercise.

mahnamahna101

Seems like Universal knows how to attract people that spend in their parks and more of them without making it a frustrating experience to walk in the park. Just look at the latest numbers for gains in attendance and guest spend. They are doing it without creating a world of dumbo spinners and kiddie rides. Leave the strollers at home people. Your kids need the exercise.
?

I never defended excessive strollers. Or condone Dumbo spinners/kiddie rides all over. I just want things like Mystic Manor, POTC, Spaceship Earth, etc... attractions everyone can ride, but teens/adults can enjoy also.

Cat and E.T. are just two obvious candidates for all-ages attractions. It's ridiculous that both have 36" and 34" height requirements when neither are particularly thrilling or dangerous (now that Cat doesn't spin)

AliciaStella

Here's some pictures from my visit today. More on my blog.

Biggest difference I noticed is that the construction walls have been moved out 10-20 feet along the pathway, making it a much skinnier walkway. Also, the food stand is now completely gone. I bet this is so they can start on the outdoor scene.

The facade is growing to the right now, and temple arms are starting to appear above the queue building. It's all looking amazing! Absolutely incredible.

P1030786-1024x768.jpg

P1030791-1024x768.jpg

P1030777-1024x768.jpg

P1030745-1024x768.jpg

P1030740-1024x768.jpg

P1030780-1024x768.jpg

P1030746-768x1024.jpg

P1030749-768x1024.jpg

P1030760-768x1024.jpg

P1030744-1024x768.jpg

P1030751-1024x768.jpg

P1030750-1024x768.jpg

P1030765-1024x768.jpg

P1030769-1024x768.jpg

P1030783-1024x768.jpg

That's all for now. More images posted here. Please note: All images taken from within guest areas, (pathways and Camp Jurassic only).

Mike S

Original Poster

Biggest difference I noticed is that the construction walls have been moved out 10-20 feet along the pathway, making it a much skinnier walkway. Also, the food stand is now completely gone. I bet this is so they can start on the outdoor scene.

The facade is growing to the right now, and temple arms are starting to appear above the queue building. It's all looking amazing! Absolutely incredible.

P1030786-1024x768.jpg

P1030791-1024x768.jpg

P1030777-1024x768.jpg

P1030745-1024x768.jpg

P1030740-1024x768.jpg

P1030780-1024x768.jpg

P1030746-768x1024.jpg

P1030749-768x1024.jpg

P1030760-768x1024.jpg

P1030744-1024x768.jpg

P1030751-1024x768.jpg

P1030750-1024x768.jpg

P1030765-1024x768.jpg

P1030769-1024x768.jpg

P1030783-1024x768.jpg

That's all for now. More images posted here. Please note: All images taken from within guest areas, (pathways and Camp Jurassic only).
Incredible. I'm hoping for lots of fire at night all over the building like in the movie :)

Disneyhead'71

P1030786-1024x768.jpg

P1030791-1024x768.jpg

P1030777-1024x768.jpg

P1030745-1024x768.jpg

P1030740-1024x768.jpg

P1030780-1024x768.jpg

P1030746-768x1024.jpg

P1030749-768x1024.jpg

P1030760-768x1024.jpg

P1030744-1024x768.jpg

P1030751-1024x768.jpg

P1030750-1024x768.jpg

P1030765-1024x768.jpg

P1030769-1024x768.jpg

P1030783-1024x768.jpg

Great shots. Glad that you are posting over here now. I think I heard someone here say "I've just had an apostrophe".

Mike C

Press Release:
May 6, 2015) – King Kong will rule at Universal Orlando Resort next year in the groundbreaking attraction, "Skull Island: Reign of Kong."

The new attraction will open in the summer of 2016 at Universal’s Islands of Adventure – and will be an intense, all-new adventure brought to life in a dramatically themed environment. Skull Island: Reign of Kong will pull guests into a powerfully told story where they become part of the next generation of the Kong legend.

It begins as guests are transported deep into a wild and mysterious world, where their mission is to discover creatures of unknown origin – but where they are soon fighting for their own survival. Their journey will take them through an ancient temple inhabited by hostile natives, a perilous jungle ruled by prehistoric creatures, a foreboding underworld of caves concealing unspeakable terrors – and face-to-face with the colossal Kong himself.

Universal Creative is working closely with Peter Jackson, famed director of 2005’s blockbuster movie, “King Kong,” to immerse guests in this incredible adventure.

"King Kong is a Hollywood movie legend and a huge part of both our history and our future," said Mike West, Executive Producer, Universal Creative. "He gives us the opportunity to tap into everything that makes our film history so special and everything that makes our theme park attractions so spectacular. We can’t wait to bring him to life in such an epic way."

Known as "the eighth wonder of the world," Kong has been called "the experience for which movies were invented." Since first appearing on screen in 1933, "King Kong" has been re-made twice - each time on a tremendous scale – earning seven Oscar and three Golden Globe nominations.

And now – in even grander and more realistic form – the Kong story continues to grow. "Skull Island: Reign of Kong" will open in the summer of 2016. More details about the mega-attraction will be released over time. Visitwww.universalorlando.com/ReignofKong for more information.

About Universal Orlando Resort
Vacation like you mean it at Universal Orlando Resort – where every heart pounding, jaw-dropping, goose-bumping second counts. It is the only place where you can turn spending time with your family into spending time as a family. Together, you can soar above Hogwarts with Harry Potter, swing above the streets with Spider-Man, become a Minion in the hilarious and heartwarming Despicable Me Minion Mayhem ride, and join Optimus Prime in the fight to save mankind on TRANSFORMERS: The Ride – 3D. And now, you can step into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley.

Universal Orlando Resort is home to two incredible theme parks: Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure; four magnificently themed on-site hotels: Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, Hard Rock Hotel, Loews Royal Pacific Resort and the newest addition, Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort; and Universal CityWalk, the one place that is the intersection of dining and entertainment for every member of the family. And located just minutes from Universal Orlando Resort is Wet n’ Wild, Orlando’s premier waterpark.

Universal Orlando Resort is part of NBCUniversal, a Comcast company. Follow Universal Orlando Resort on Facebook,Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom