The popularity of Toy Story Mania, anyone explain it?

mergatroid

Original Poster
Went on this for the first ever time on our last visit, despite coming to Disney every year. The reason we've not ridden it before was simply because the queues were always so big. Until last year with the advent of FP+ allowing us to book online in advance, even getting FP's didn't help because even after opening the times were for much later in the day.

Now I'm not bad mouthing the attraction here, which was quite fun (much more so for my wife) and is subjective when it comes to enjoyment. However I'm really surprised by it's popularity and the difficulty in riding it without a good deal of effort. Is it classed as a real gem of an attraction by so many people due to it being so fun, or is the movie Toy Story's popularity the thing that makes everybody want to try it?

copcarguyp71

Lack of other park attractions in the demographic
Lack of other park attractions
Popularity of the IP
Artificially inflated line by Fastpass

Agree although I think the ride capacity and stoppages causing the ridiculous stand-by times are what kill it for me. If I waited 30 minutes this would be a great attraction...90 minutes+ makes me want so much more than this ride offers,

mergatroid

Original Poster
Agree although I think the ride capacity and stoppages causing the ridiculous stand-by times are what kill it for me. If I waited 30 minutes this would be a great attraction...90 minutes+ makes me want so much more than this ride offers,

Would agree with that.

Goofyernmost

I can't tell you. It is fun, in it's own way, but, certainly not worth a long wait. I have been on it exactly twice since it opened (in 2005 or 06, I believe) (doesn't really matter when). Both time it was with a FP. Not worth it to me otherwise.

Susan Savia

We like to get two rides on Toy Story first thing, on the mornings we go to HS. I think it's more our routine then anything else. We don't use the FP+ system. Our family loves 'competing' to see who can get the best score...

samosaurus

I think its popularity has to do with it being an attraction for all ages, and also having an interactive aspect that makes each ride somewhat unique. Everyone in my family very much enjoys it and we always try to ride more than once each trip (last time we were able to use Fastpass+ a couple of times) . It's fun to have a little competition between us to see who can score the most points. Sure, a screen-based ride may not be that innovative or exciting, but it is, IMHO, a lot of fun.

HouCuseChickie

I really think you have to look at the lack of rides in DHS as the answer. While TSMM isn't wait free at DCA, the waits I've seen for this ride in that park are tiny compared to the avg standby times posted at DHS. It's the same ride in the same country, but in 2 very different parks. I mean, according to Touring Plans, the avg predicted wait time for TSMM at DCA for the rest of today is 25 min.

habuma

We love TSMM, but yeah...there's no way I'd wait in line for more than an hour for it. And even then, we've never waited in line more then 20 minutes for it. Our primary strategy is to get a FP+ for it first thing in the morning and go straight to the standby line at rope-drop, ride it, then go back to the FP+ line for a second ride. As much as I'd like to ride it again, the lines exceed my maximum wait patience by the time we finish our second time through.

Now, if someone can explain why Peter Pan's Flight is so darn popular. We love it and work it into every trip, but it's nuts how long that line gets.

JIMINYCR

1. It takes no skill to pull the cord over and over again. So pull away and even though you may not score high, you can score something. An easy game to play.
2. Theres colorful screens and moving targets that keep you interested.
3. The ride car is fun zipping you around to each level.
4. Theres a limited time span to play out each screen so youre heart is racing to get in as many shots as possible. Adrenaline russsssh.
5. You are pitted against a player sitting next to you and you dont want to go down as a loser.
6. Getting in to play means you beat out the thousands who cant get in that day. You are an instant winner.

Bairstow

A lot of good point have been made already, but I would add that Midway Mania is, essentially, a video game.
As someone who plays too many video games, a 7-year-old shooting gallery game isn't that interesting to me, but to a lot of parents and young kids who may not have the background, an introduction into modern video games, especially one designed to be as accessible as possible, can be pretty darn impressive.

yedliW

Now, if someone can explain why Peter Pan's Flight is so darn popular. We love it and work it into every trip, but it's nuts how long that line gets.

I think the main thing with Peter Pan is the very limited capacity.. They just can't put that many people through it as they can on other attractions.. add in the nostalgia factor, and there you go.. I enjoy the ride, but won't wait more than 20 min or so for it.. Although, the new queue looks kinda cool, so we'll have to check that out when we are there in the fall.

Cmdr_Crimson

A lot of good point have been made already, but I would add that Midway Mania is, essentially, a video game.

Yep and Ironicallly it is also sold on Home consoles...Best way to mimic the attraction is unlock all the levels and go to Play mode..
5152R5EPIKL._SY300_.jpg
51iwga41gRL._SY300_.jpg

Plus there is the Plug & Play version..
ToyStoryManiaPointnshoot.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom