Best time between January and April?

draybook

I think we're going to start going twice a year with AP's now. So, you guys already know that we take our yearly trip in September for our anniversary. We went in February this year and we just got back this Thursday from our April trip.

So, what do you guys think is the best time to go between January and April? We're not so concerned about events or anything, just as far as crowd levels go. Thanks, folks!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
January will be your best bet IMO because the crowd levels will probably be the lowest. During marathon weekends you may see more in January but for the most part January is known to have lower crowd levels.
February-April you have many events and holiday times like Mardi Gras , Presidents' Day, spring break, Easter , Flower & Garden fest etc that bring very large crowds depending where they fall in those months. :)

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

I'm looking at TP and it looks like January 20th-February 10th is our best bet.
Looks like Mardi Gras in 2016 is 2/9 so I would go closer to January 20th if it's for 2016. I'm from south Louisiana and friends and family go every year for Mardi Gras week and say it is very crowded. Mardi Gras week/crowds will possibly be 2/6-2/14/16. :)

Upvote 0

SDisney90

I have to tell you, I absolutely love going in January. The crowd levels are low and the temperature can be a little cold but generally awesome, especially being from New England I'll wear shorts all day there just about. Only two down falls to January IMO.

First of only one water park is open, and some rides are usually down for maintenance. IE Splash Mountain -haven't rode it in about 3 or 4 years now. Secondly, the marathon...I had no problem 2 years in a row except in 2014 with the big final Disney marathon. We tried to make it to Epcot for rope drop and ended up being an hour or so late. There is so much traffic and any types of transportation had to go around in circles. In the end we weren't even able to drive to Epcot, we were dropped off at the TTC and had to hop on the monorail there. My advice is if you plan on going during the races, just skip the parks the day of the final race, or wait til later in the morning/afternoon.

But by the dates you listed you should be fine, do it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Looks like Mardi Gras in 2016 is 2/9 so I would go closer to January 20th if it's for 2016. I'm from south Louisiana and friends and family go every year for Mardi Gras week and say it is very crowded. Mardi Gras week/crowds will possibly be 2/6-2/14/16. :)
I've never heard of people going to WDW for Mardi Gras. Crowd calendars would seem to indicate it's a non issue.

I'd aim for the last week of January into the first week of February. I think that'll be my next trip and become the annual return point. I'm checking out tomorrow from our first trip with the baby and it's too much hassle risking this kind of heat (92 all week until today).

ETA: Definitely avoid race weekends and President's Week, both because of crowds and prices.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

I've never heard of people going to WDW for Mardi Gras. Crowd calendars would seem to indicate it's a non issue.

I'd aim for the last week of January into the first week of February. I think that'll be my next trip and become the annual return point. I'm checking out tomorrow from our first trip with the baby and it's too much hassle risking this kind of heat (92 all week until today).

ETA: Definitely avoid race weekends and President's Week, both because of crowds and prices.
Mardi Gras draws large crowds from the southern states. I live in Louisiana and know many that go every year during this week (because of school being out Mardi Gras week) and it is very busy and have seen many pics from them of how busy it is etc. Mardi Gras is different date every year as Easter is different so crowd calendars are hard to predict this sometimes. It has been mentioned on these boards as well before about Mardi Gras crowds. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
Tuesday through Tuesday? Mind if I ask why? If I'm going anywhere for a full week I always include the weekend on either end to maximize my vacation days.

Well, we will leave on Saturday most likely and we put our Universal days on the front end. So, that would give us Sunday and Monday there and then the rest at Disney. I might extend the end until Friday if we fly, otherwise I like to build in some cushion time to unwind after driving home. I sure hope we fly again, it was so much more convenient. Not to mention that we almost got into a huge wreck on the way home last week in Montgomery, AL.

Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
Yeah, we're going to renew when we go back in September. I also went ahead and booked us at the ASMovies resort for next January 26th-February 3rd. After that we will only have the AoA resort left to try before we're done with the Values. Then it's on to try all of the moderates.

Upvote 0

bee

I would almost definitely NOT go during April because it's already too hot and humid for me, and I would avoid March for the spring break crowds and higher room rates. If you plan carefully to avoid holidays and whatnot you should be able to find a good time in January or February.

Upvote 0

Britt

Yeah, we're going to renew when we go back in September. I also went ahead and booked us at the ASMovies resort for next January 26th-February 3rd. After that we will only have the AoA resort left to try before we're done with the Values. Then it's on to try all of the moderates.
Soooooo ridiculously jealous!!! I can't wait to go back! It's been since 2012 and thinking of Disney just makes me depressed anymore wondering when we will get to go back! LOL

Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
I would almost definitely NOT go during April because it's already too hot and humid for me, and I would avoid March for the spring break crowds and higher room rates. If you plan carefully to avoid holidays and whatnot you should be able to find a good time in January or February.

We are birds of a feather! I couldn't believe how humid and hot it was the last two weeks. So glad that my wife bought me a spray mister fan thing.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom