The Sole Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

Sam Magic

Darn it, England. Do NOT temp me to post the "Too Smart for Strangers" episode. ;) :p

@Sam4D23 I too am really sick of CGI and I'm hoping practical effects are in for a bit of a comeback with the new Star Wars which apparently uses very little CGI (I find that hard to believe, but we'll see...) I was really excited when I saw practical "puppet" dinosaurs in the Jurassic World superbowl spot, but then about a week later Stan Winston Studios came out and slammed the film for its over-use of CG.

As much as I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe there's one franchise that definitely uses it too much, but at least they use it effectively such as with Groot and Rocket who are two of the most convincing CG characters I've ever seen. The new Mad Max looks like it has a ton of practical stuff in it, though at the very end of the trailer they go CG overload on us and show a huge sand tornado picking up a whole bunch of cars...and like most CG these days it looks like it comes STRAIGHT out of a video game...

And yea, the Paperman style is way, waaaaaay overdue for a full-length treatment. I'm kind of hoping the Polynesian princess movie uses it.
Tiki, I was talking about live action films. I don't really mind CGI too much.

Voxel

President of Progress City
As I have mentioned to a few, I am planning a bit of a 'vacation' away from the Imagineering forums. My Work-life and School-life have been consuming 120+ hours a week and my social/personal life have taken a massive hit. To top it all off A good friend (2 years younger then me) passed away this week from a Car accident leaving me with alot of thinking. I'm gonna be taking this summer off from "imagineering and a good portion of the forum/internet" and travel and go outside and explore the world more. I already have a trip to Disneyland on the books among other things like San Francisco. I hope to be back into the big Comps at the end of the Summer and maintain my place in the Elite 8 (Or did I make it final 4 I don't remember) . If called upon I will appear and I may drop by from time to time but I will not be a constant precense for a while.

I leave you with a combination of two quotes and my own words.

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

Enjoy every moment, grasp every opportunity. Go out side the box and put your self into uncomfortable school/work positions that teach you new things or push you to your limits. Only then can you find where your passions lie and what you have to give to the world. Like the world around us we are constantly evolving into better version of our selves. Let our ideas evolve with us. :D

Last edited:

RMichael21

Original Poster
As I have mentioned to a few, I am planning a bit of a 'vacation' away from the Imagineering forums. My Work-life and School-life have been consuming 120+ hours a week and my social/personal life have taken a massive hit. To top it all off A good friend (2 years younger then me) passed away this week from a Car accident leaving me with alot of thinking. I'm gonna be taking this summer off from "imagineering and a good portion of the forum/internet" and travel and go outside and explore the world more. I already have a trip to Disneyland on the books among other things like San Francisco. I hope to be back into the big Comps at the end of the Summer and maintain my place in the Elite 8 (Or did I make it final 4 I don't remember) . If called upon I will appear and I may drop by from time to time but I will not be a constant precense for a while.

I leave you with a combination of two quotes and my own words.

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

Enjoy every moment, grasp every opportunity. Go out side the box and put your self into uncomfortable school/work positions that teach you new things or push you to your limits. Only then can you find where your passions lie and what you have to give to the world. Like the world around us we are constantly evolving into better version of our selves. Let our ideas evolve with us. :D
@Voxel, thanks for this message. I wish you the best of luck and safest travels. I hope to see you again on here in the near or distant future. :)

-RM

Sam Magic

I'll be back ;)
Ill-Be-Back-Terminator.gif

TheOriginalTiki

While we wait for the final immunity challenge to get turned in, England and I have decided to collaborate on a podcast going in depth on the Hobbit trilogy and how they stack up individually as films and compared to LOTR. England's a huge Tolkien fan, so it should be a very spirited discussion! We'll be starting around 9:30 PM Eastern.

tcool

:hilarious:

(I couldn't decide if I should change my profile picture to a goat or a puppet on strings. I choosed the puppet)

Why yes tiki it does seem like I have strings, and they seem to be lovely.

Hey I won with Toontown! It beat Bogart Alley by one place. :p;)

Now I'm going to be a nonentity and disappear;):D:rolleyes:

BkLeTS7.gif

And I'm back (I have to post a reply before I could disappear) All will be revealed in my answers to the questions.

Oh and Tiki here's your island back!

get_property_thumb4-1544.jpg

TheOriginalTiki

For reference on what I was going for with my video, here's some of the most memorable "bitter jury" speeches that I could find on Youtube.

"Wicked Step-Mother"

The lowest blow in the show's history...

Ozzy thrashes Parvati and confesses his eternal love for Amanda :p

Brenda gives Dawn "a little bit of heart-break."

"This game is like Truth Serum!"

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom