CM Trouble at DHS

wdwstateofmind

Original Poster
I know we're suppose to appreciate CMs here, but I have one that I'd like to shame. I didn't catch where he was from, but Terry the parking attendant at DHS, needs a stern talking to on being magical. My wife kindly asked him this morning why the park was so busy in which he replied, "We're trying to accommodate everyone, I don't have time for you, keep moving!"

He wasn't busy directing cars, he was literally just stopping people from crossing in front of trams closer to the main gate if you decided to walk to the entrance. I know he's only a parking attendant, but it's important they be more positive and what not since they are some of the first people guests see when they roll into the park. I expect the same positivity and attitude that the resort guards have knowing they are the first person guests see when checking into hotels as well. We soon found out that it was a cheer leading event, which is all we were looking for, not an attitude before we even walked through the gates. While I didn't need a lengthy explanation about why it was busy, I also didn't need someones bad attitude before we even scanned our passes to walk in.

MOXOMUMD

I know we're suppose to appreciate CMs here, but I have one that I'd like to shame. I didn't catch where he was from, but Terry the parking attendant at DHS, needs a stern talking to on being magical. My wife kindly asked him this morning why the park was so busy in which he replied, "We're trying to accommodate everyone, I don't have time for you, keep moving!"

He wasn't busy directing cars, he was literally just stopping people from crossing in front of trams closer to the main gate if you decided to walk to the entrance. I know he's only a parking attendant, but it's important they be more positive and what not since they are some of the first people guests see when they roll into the park. I expect the same positivity and attitude that the resort guards have knowing they are the first person guests see when checking into hotels as well. We soon found out that it was a cheer leading event, which is all we were looking for, not an attitude before we even walked through the gates. While I didn't need a lengthy explanation about why it was busy, I also didn't need someones bad attitude before we even scanned our passes to walk in.
Did you stop at Guest Relations?

rob0519

Wow, this is your idea of CM "trouble" ? Just my opinion, but if this person was stopping people from crossing in front of trams so that they would not get hit by a moving vehicle, in the grand scheme of things that seems a bit more important than answering a questions about why a Disney park is crowded. Perhaps you should have asked someone who wasn't being responsible for guests safety at that moment. Terry may have been able to phrase his response differently. I'm sorry that such a small incident seems to have ruined your entire day. Hope the rest of your trip went better.

PolynesianPrincess

I would have complained to Guest Relations. While I understand he's busy trying to do his job, so is every other CM there. If people can't watch where they're going and look before crossing the street, then maybe they shouldn't be out in public! His response was VERY rude and I would have definitely complained!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yeah that would have taken me off guard but I wouldn't have held onto to the quip either. Vacations are too short for minor breaks in the magic and I am not that easily offended nor that eager to get a CM in trouble over petty stuff. Now if he stopped to chat to some guest about the crowds of Disney during Spring break and some guest got hit by a Tram, that would be worth a trip to guest relations.

Sometimes I think guests need to tuned into what a CMs role is, what type of focus they need to have on their task and think first, if their questions are pertinent and need immediate answers or immediate assistant before the guest approaches the CMs with questions. I'm always annoyed by guests that want to chit chat or ask questions of bag inspection at park entrances. Security CMs don't have time for that yet some guests don't have regard for what they are trying to focus on.

rob0519

I would have complained to Guest Relations. While I understand he's busy trying to do his job, so is every other CM there. If people can't watch where they're going and look before crossing the street, then maybe they shouldn't be out in public! His response was VERY rude and I would have definitely complained!
Not every other CM's job is trying to keep to keep guests from getting hit by moving vehicles in a busy parking lot. Obviously Disney management feels people can't or don't always look where they are going or this CM would not be stationed there. Instead of going to Guest Relations to complain about him, it would have been the more appropriate place to ask the question in the first place. Whatever, it's your right to complain about whatever you want, but what is your line between rude, very rude and VERY rude? This hardly seems worth a second thought let alone a complaint to me.

TowerOfTerror

I think I found a reenactment:

2ueu0if.jpg

All jokes aside, if you wish to inform Disney about his behavior you can contact them at wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com.

USAF79

Omg. Was the magic ruined and needed your parking and tickets refunded for life? Stupid questions will get bad answers. How in the world would the parking guy know why it was busy. There are web sites dedicated to that question of disney crowds and they still get it wrong.....

Betsyboo

Omg. Was the magic ruined and needed your parking and tickets refunded for life? Stupid questions will get bad answers. How in the world would the parking guy know why it was busy. There are web sites dedicated to that question of disney crowds and they still get it wrong.....
I'm sorry but this is just way out of line.

PolynesianPrincess

Not every other CM's job is trying to keep to keep guests from getting hit by moving vehicles in a busy parking lot. Obviously Disney management feels people can't or don't always look where they are going or this CM would not be stationed there. Instead of going to Guest Relations to complain about him, it would have been the more appropriate place to ask the question in the first place. Whatever, it's your right to complain about whatever you want, but what is your line between rude, very rude and VERY rude? This hardly seems worth a second thought let alone a complaint to me.

To each his own I guess! :)

PolynesianPrincess

Yeah that would have taken me off guard but I wouldn't have held onto to the quip either. Vacations are too short for minor breaks in the magic and I am not that easily offended nor that eager to get a CM in trouble over petty stuff. Now if he stopped to chat to some guest about the crowds of Disney during Spring break and some guest got hit by a Tram, that would be worth a trip to guest relations.

Sometimes I think guests need to tuned into what a CMs role is, what type of focus they need to have on their task and think first, if their questions are pertinent and need immediate answers or immediate assistant before the guest approaches the CMs with questions. I'm always annoyed by guests that want to chit chat or ask questions of bag inspection at park entrances. Security CMs don't have time for that yet some guests don't have regard for what they are trying to focus on.

I do agree with you on the point of guests trying to chit chat with CMs and holding things up. My aunt is like that. Not cause she is trying to hold anyone up or keep them from doing their job, but because she is friendly and thinks "these guys must encounter so many grouchy people a day. It's nice to ask him how he's doing and how his day is going" She doesn't stop the whole line to talk about the weather or anything, but she just likes to make CMs feel important and that they are worth something. She always also so very polite to them, which seems to be somewhat of a rarity at WDW (and in general...)

Perosnally, I think the way he responded was insulting. He may not have meant for it to be that way, but he could have worded it differently. It would have taken the same amount of time to respond with "I'm not sure, maybe check with guest relations?" as it would to respond with what he said. I feel like him saying "I don't have time for you! Keep moving" is him basically saying "your question is not important, nor are you" but then again, that's just me. Others might not take it the same way.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I do agree with you on the point of guests trying to chit chat with CMs and holding things up. My aunt is like that. Not cause she is trying to hold anyone up or keep them from doing their job, but because she is friendly and thinks "these guys must encounter so many grouchy people a day. It's nice to ask him how he's doing and how his day is going" She doesn't stop the whole line to talk about the weather or anything, but she just likes to make CMs feel important and that they are worth something. She always also so very polite to them, which seems to be somewhat of a rarity at WDW (and in general...)

Perosnally, I think the way he responded was insulting. He may not have meant for it to be that way, but he could have worded it differently. It would have taken the same amount of time to respond with "I'm not sure, maybe check with guest relations?" as it would to respond with what he said. I feel like him saying "I don't have time for you! Keep moving" is him basically saying "your question is not important, nor are you" but then again, that's just me. Others might not take it the same way.

Of course it could have been said differently. I said too it would have taken me off guard, actually the opening in my post. But would I have held onto it as long as the OP did, not likely, would I have made a thread about it and posted the dudes Name and location? Not likely and that speaks volumes to the attitude of some guests.

We are all wired differently and some need to get even (what better way than a thread like this.) Me not so much. For me it takes a lot more than an inappropriate comment to my silly question to get me to post a thread like this one. Most guests that are members of Disney Boards are savvy enough to know this week is a high season for Disney and the crowd levels are high Cheerleaders or not. It should be anticipated that the parking lots would be crowded one would think. Most of us would not think of distracting a CM safeguarding guests in parking lot with anecdotal questions, we are not Me focused. We all ask silly questions at times and I think I'd also reflect on myself and ask how much of my own actions were the reason why I received a curt response. We all know these CMs during high times are working long hours with mandatory overtime and shifts getting extended without warning. Maybe rather than get upset with CMs use some common sense before opening ones mouth.

My conclusion, strike one guest has need to chat with CMs in an inappropriate place, strike two DH needs to vent on a thread using CMs name and location, strike three would be to contact guest relations. Likely they'd get a form letter back and supervisor would toss the complaint in the circular file where it belongs.

Beiste1

There definitely was a better way to get his point across, but I try to put myself if that person's shoes. He is trying to look out for the safety of guests who (let's face it) aren't exactly paying attention because they are so excited to be in the presence of "The Mouse" and do have a bad habit of running in front of trams, cars, other people, doesn't matter. He is also working in the middle of the summer on very hot asphalt with people trying to divert his attention from the job to which he was assigned. It may seem like it's an easy job and it's not problem to plaster the smile on and say the right things, but he is human and is entitled to a bad moment even if he is on the clock. I'm sure it wasn't personal, and the guy is probably a great castmember who was caught at an inopportune time. Everyone deserves a break, even Disney Castmembers. It really isn't something that should ruin anyone's day, and wasting time complaining to Guest Relations, who can't really do anything to rectify the situation, other than smile and apologize, is keeping the guest who is complaining from enjoying the reason they are there in the first place... to have fun. As Elsa sings in Frozen..."LET IT GO!"
download Elsa.jpg

POLY LOVER

did she really ask why the parks are so busy????? no disrespect but what kind of questions is that to ask durig a very busy time and to an employee trying to get folks into the parking lot safely. He probably should have had better techinque in any case.

beachlover4444

OMG maybe the park is busy because it's WDW and it's spring and spring break time of year, duh... Really the guy was doing his job and he's probably heard this "stupid" question a million times. I bet you've never done work in any service industry job before because if you did you'd view these workers differently. Alot of work, little pay and little praise. Yes everyone expects the Disney magic from each castmember but if he's more worried about safety from the idiots who do fully intentionally run in front of tram cars because nobody has common sense anymore than good for him. Just saying been to WDW over 50 times and for the most part these castmembers are amazingly genuine and I hate seeing someone get reprimanded at their job because you got a little annoyed.

beachlover4444

did she really ask why the parks are so busy????? no disrespect but what kind of questions is that to ask durig a very busy time and to an employee trying to get folks into the parking lot safely. He probably should have had better techinque in any case.
my thoughts exactly, what's the saying, ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer.

beachlover4444

I work for a major hotel chain... Do you know how many idiots ask why is your hotel sold out? What's so special about your hotel? What could be going on in Stow, Ohio? Like hey DUH why not book ahead of time and not wait til 1 am when you get off the highway and expect everyone to have half empty hotels...Really people are clueless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom