Apple Watch launch

Furiated

So did anyone get a pre-order in?

I did, I woke up at 3:00am EST to get one right when preorders opened. Went with the 42mm Sport. Delivery is showing 4/24 to 5/8. I also have a try on appointment today to check them out in person but didn't want to wait for that to put my preorder in since I can always cancel it.

TomHendricks

Went to my try on appointment and I preordered a 42mm Stainless Steel with the White band. I liked the Stainless Steel way more than the Aluminum. I don't love the white band but none of the others fit well or I didn't like them. So I'm hoping for a decent 3rd party sometime in the future.

ETA: Suppose to ship June.

Clamman73

I didn't end up preordering it...was up at 2:55 to order it, but just thought to wait a bit...Probably going to see unboxing videos on youtube tomorrow, see the Mickey watch face and then just have to buy it!

TomHendricks

They have reported that some people with ship dates of 4 to 6 weeks out and that say June are getting Shipping notifications. However I'm not one of them, my order still says Processing and Delivery in June.

lazyboy97o

So does anyone think Apple should be more aware of supplies for launches and try to reduce the waiting and stores with insufficient inventory? It seems the last few big product launches have seen short supplies that were reported on for months.

TomHendricks

Well the delays are not all about Apple. The companies manufacturing the parts for either the Apple Watch or iPhone are usually making things never attempted before, with size and design. Then there is also Apples Quality Control they have to meet. I think that has more to do with the apparent lack of supply.

Aside from that, anyone else getting their Apple Watch today? Please post a pic if you can, would love to see it.

RmeDad

Apple "Fanboys" sheesh!!!

And I will restate what I said earlier in a different thread:

Please help me out here, I am a little confused about these watch things. If I have a PHONE that doubles as a TV, a VOICE RECORDER, a MUSIC player, an EMAIL device, a CAMERA/VIDEO RECORDER, an INTERNET BROWSER, a device for PAYING CHARGES at a shopping establishment, has the option of running many useful APPS like running devices in my home remotely and finally is a WATCH/CLOCK/TIMER, why would I need a WATCH with a smaller screen than my phone? Besides, how many people will not be able to read the screen without stopping to put their reading glasses on? Oh yeah, and for HOW MUCH? And, stay close to a power outlet!!

Here's my appleWatch!

watch.jpg

Last edited:

Furiated

Just got mine via UPS, still setting it up. Sport band is pretty comfy so far. I don't especially like the white band but you couldn't order a black sport band without getting the watch itself in black, which is lame. I have the black band ordered but it hasn't shipped yet.

E71B2FF0-B0F4-43EF-8957-84E2B1433D6C_1.jpg

TomHendricks

You're making the same lowbrow inept argument that people made against the iPad. Listen if you see no value in the Apple Watch that is fine. I could list multiple reasons I want an Apple Watch, still just what works out for me.

I currently own a Pebble Watch. Fantastic but not so pretty "smart" watch. For the functionality it has, I'm very happy. Pebble is coming out with the Pebble Time. The Pebble time will retail for $299. That's only $100 less then the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch has way more functionality.

Listen if you don't like Apple, Apple products and whatnot that's okay. However you sound like a person shouting into the wind.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Got mine this afternoon. There is definitely a learning curve simply because it's so different than anything we've had before. It's not a quick and easy transition like picking up a new phone or when we got the iPad. A couple of thoughts on what I've seen so far.

- I'm a big fan of ApplePay so I was curious how that worked. You have to reauthorize cards that may be active on your phone for use with the Watch. Once I figured out the setup process I had the opportunity to use it at Subway for dinner tonight and it worked brilliantly. It will take some time to get used to no visible feedback like I get on the phone screen but I'm thinking I'll get over that quickly enough ;)
- Even apps that have not been specifically updated to support the Watch are capable of sending notification alerts. In my case my favorite Twitter app (Tweetbot) hasn't been updated but I still get notifications on the Watch (even when I'm across the house from my phone) of Twitter Mentions and DM's. If the app has been updated, you can respond to those alerts as well.
- I've got a trip coming up in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to having the boarding passes and gate and departure notifications and updates on the Watch so I don't even need to pull out my phone for that.
- You can select what you get notified of on an application specific basis so you don't get overloaded with things. It will take some time to get used to the right options for me and I suspect I'll over alert at first and need to pull back over time.
- Pretty much every configuration parameter of the watch including what apps are installed and the settings of those apps is all done in the Apple Watch app on the phone. You can manage notifications as well as add and remove apps and change the layout of the home screen right there.

In general, while it will take a little time to get used to it and get it setup correctly for my use I'm pretty happy with what I see so far and really intrigued to see what developers do with it going forward.

lazyboy97o

Apple "Fanboys" sheesh!!!

And I will restate what I said earlier in a different thread:

Please help me out here, I am a little confused about these watch things. If I have a PHONE that doubles as a TV, a VOICE RECORDER, a MUSIC player, an EMAIL device, a CAMERA/VIDEO RECORDER, an INTERNET BROWSER, a device for PAYING CHARGES at a shopping establishment, has the option of running many useful APPS like running devices in my home remotely and finally is a WATCH/CLOCK/TIMER, why would I need a WATCH with a smaller screen than my phone? Besides, how many people will not be able to read the screen without stopping to put their reading glasses on? Oh yeah, and for HOW MUCH? And, stay close to a power outlet!!

Here's my appleWatch!

View attachment 90760
Then don't get one...

Clamman73

Got mine this afternoon. There is definitely a learning curve simply because it's so different than anything we've had before. It's not a quick and easy transition like picking up a new phone or when we got the iPad. A couple of thoughts on what I've seen so far.

- I'm a big fan of ApplePay so I was curious how that worked. You have to reauthorize cards that may be active on your phone for use with the Watch. Once I figured out the setup process I had the opportunity to use it at Subway for dinner tonight and it worked brilliantly. It will take some time to get used to no visible feedback like I get on the phone screen but I'm thinking I'll get over that quickly enough ;)
- Even apps that have not been specifically updated to support the Watch are capable of sending notification alerts. In my case my favorite Twitter app (Tweetbot) hasn't been updated but I still get notifications on the Watch (even when I'm across the house from my phone) of Twitter Mentions and DM's. If the app has been updated, you can respond to those alerts as well.
- I've got a trip coming up in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to having the boarding passes and gate and departure notifications and updates on the Watch so I don't even need to pull out my phone for that.
- You can select what you get notified of on an application specific basis so you don't get overloaded with things. It will take some time to get used to the right options for me and I suspect I'll over alert at first and need to pull back over time.
- Pretty much every configuration parameter of the watch including what apps are installed and the settings of those apps is all done in the Apple Watch app on the phone. You can manage notifications as well as add and remove apps and change the layout of the home screen right there.

In general, while it will take a little time to get used to it and get it setup correctly for my use I'm pretty happy with what I see so far and really intrigued to see what developers do with it going forward.
Do you have to touch the watch to the pay terminal or is close proximity good enough to use apple pay with the watch?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Do you have to touch the watch to the pay terminal or is close proximity good enough to use apple pay with the watch?

I've only done it once so I don't have a lot of reference scenarios of distance yet. I'll have to do some experimenting on that but my guess is that it will be based on the payment terminal if my experience with ApplePay from the phone is any indication.

Unlike the iPhone where you just put it close and ApplePay activates and waits for your fingerprint to validate, you have to click the large button on the side twice to put the Watch into ApplePay mode first and then just put it to the reader and it authorizes. You get a haptic vibration and audible tone on approval. You don't need to remove the phone from your pocket or do anything other than just place the Watch near the payment terminal.

One thing I did discover while setting it up this afternoon is that in order to use ApplePay, you have to setup a Passcode on the Watch. If after you set it all up, you Turn the Passcode off all of the associated cards on the Watch are deactivated and you can no longer use ApplePay. You also can't just turn the Passcode back on, you'll need to reauthorize all of the cards again on the Watch.

Also, if you take the Watch off your arm you'll need to re-enter that Passcode before ApplePay will work again. So basically each morning when you take it off the charger and put it on you'll need to enter the 4 digit passcode and then as long as you leave it on your arm it will work as normal.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
A couple of random anecdotes after my first full day wearing it for those who care or are curious:

- Battery life is better than I expected. After what I think will be a normal pattern of use today the battery is still at 50% at 10PM.
- It takes about a day or so to get use the taptic notifications but today I was at an airshow (so audible notices were useless) but I felt the tap each time an email or other message or notification came thru.
- I have the watch on my left arm and when driving and steering with that arm, the watch regular thinks I've raised my arm and actives the screen. It goes off in a couple of seconds but that has the 'potential' to impact battery life, too early to tell.
- Really looking forward to what creative developers will come up with for this thing. Lots of folks just replicating the same Notifications they have on the phone right now but there is lots of potential for new creativity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom