Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Brian

When I asked for more trees I certainly didn't mean like this.

rumps.jpg

Cesar R M

This doesn't have to do specifically with the hub, but Orlando Theme Park News just posted a new update that shows the newly-refurbished buildings on Main Street.View attachment 88757
What do you guys think of the new color scheme on the Cinema? I kind of like it! It's different.View attachment 88759 Be sure to check out the rest of their update, it has some great stuff.
http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/03/magic-kingdom-update-spring-break.html
the part of Pirates saddens me so much :(
we heard so many good things about this ride, and we seen it in bad state.. and now its even worse!

SpaceMountain75

the part of Pirates saddens me so much :(
we heard so many good things about this ride, and we seen it in bad state.. and now its even worse!
Hopefully the upcoming refurb will fix it up right. But if you really want to see what Pirates is like in its best state, head out to Disneyland. Their version is my favorite ride in the whole resort.

Goofywilliam

It's amazing to me that knotts and some of the other cedar fair parks are even owned by the same company. Here in cincinnati kings island has taken a park that once had charm, detail, thought and uniqueness and -through the bad Paramount years, really bad early Cedar Fair years and now new Ouimet Cedar Fair years stripped any of that charm away while Knotts has worked hard to bring it back. CF has certainly made improvements, but they lack any finesse or attention to detail like this new entrance at Carrowinds demonstrates. They look "nice" in a "wow that's a nice new reststop along the interstate" way.
They have also worked wonders with Kings Dominion by bringing much of the old charm and theming back. Kings Dominion looks better now than it has in a long time!

Brenthodge

One of the reasons given by Carrowinds for the drastic change was that the building had deteriorated too much due to neglect ( could that have been prevented with routine maintenance?) and that the building needed to be replaced. Got that, but you can't tell me in the whole of North or South Carolina you coudnt find an architect that could design a new, efficient and functional building themed to a southern mansion? I would think those pop up daily in subdivisions all over the south. Lame excuse!

xstech25

They wanted Fury 325 to be the focal point of the new entrance - a kind of "welcome to an awesome thrill park" if you will. I'm sure Robert Decker and Matt Ouimet thought a more modern (aka cheap stereotypical Cedar Fair affair) entrance would look better with the new coaster snaking in front of it. I think they were wrong on this one, the new entrance just doesn't look good. It would have been better if it were like Six Flags Over Georgia where Goliath is close to the entrance but without gutting the area for lots of concrete, a generic logo, and a big screen.

And I wish people would stop bringing up the trees in the hub, this has been gone over a million times. Some people like it better with, some people without (personally I like it better without, but its a matter of opinion).

Last edited:

note2001

And I wish people would stop bringing up the trees in the hub, this has been gone over a million times. Some people like it better with, some people without (personally I like it better without, but its a matter of opinion).

Aw, I was just recovering and you went and did it... you said .... "trees"! :cry: :arghh:

PREMiERdrum

They wanted Fury 325 to be the focal point of the new entrance - a kind of "welcome to an awesome thrill park" if you will. I'm sure Robert Decker and Matt Ouimet thought a more modern (aka cheap stereotypical Cedar Fair affair) entrance would look better with the new coaster snaking in front of it. I think they were wrong on this one, the new entrance just doesn't look good. It would have been better if it were like Six Flags Over Georgia where Goliath is close to the entrance but without gutting the area for lots of concrete, a generic logo, and a big screen.

They did a fine job modernizing Cedar Point's entrance to showcase Gatekeeper a few years ago. The design is apologetically modern, but the scale and materials make it far more warm and inviting. Now, the former CP entrance plaza was a mid-90s stucco mess in a faux-vintage boardwalk scroll style, so there wasn't much love lost to say goodbye. While the Carowinds entrance was only a 70s construction (right?), it looked older and had enough nostalgia value to make a successful, modern redesign that much more difficult.

bhodge

I think it further underlines cf's position that they are not doing "theme" parks for their core portfolio of parks, but nice,clean and"pretty" amusement parks. Nothing about this new entrance says "themed" environment. It doesn't even have a "modern spin" on southern classic, rustic, plantation or any other type of regional architecture. It's just a "nice" cookie cutter cf modern structure that could be at any of their parks-guess that's the point. "One Fair" anyone?

P_Radden

Did someone say trees? From 1991.

2by69x.jpg

This looks amazing. Not just the trees, but the benches as well. While I like the openness of the new hub, I would love to see some tress and benches go back. It's still under construction, so maybe Disney has time to still slip a tree or two in there somewhere.

Anyone have any good comparison photos? Would be nice to see side by side, before and after as well as aerial photos

betty rose

This looks amazing. Not just the trees, but the benches as well. While I like the openness of the new hub, I would love to see some tress and benches go back. It's still under construction, so maybe Disney has time to still slip a tree or two in there somewhere.

Anyone have any good comparison photos? Would be nice to see side by side, before and after as well as aerial photos
Now, you are singing my tune:D

PhotoDave219

Google Earth does. Allows you to step back in time and the like.

Goofnut1980

This doesn't have to do specifically with the hub, but Orlando Theme Park News just posted a new update that shows the newly-refurbished buildings on Main Street.View attachment 88757
What do you guys think of the new color scheme on the Cinema? I kind of like it! It's different.View attachment 88759 Be sure to check out the rest of their update, it has some great stuff.
http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/03/magic-kingdom-update-spring-break.html

What happened to the Cinema lit sign that was on the wall above?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom