Just back from the Dream

EOD K9

Original Poster
Hey Gang, I recently returned from the 4 nighter from the 23-27th. The ship is as great as ever. The hallways were recently re-carpeted. You can tell because there was little wear and tear....plus they smelled new. The small world nursery staff were fantastic with my daughters. They (the staff) were very happy when we dropped them off. They took such great care of them and I wouldn't hesitate to use the facility again. For as much as the weather reports kept changing, we had a great CC day, which is all I really cared about. Palo was exceptional as ever. I will say that one of the days at Cabanas, the food wasn't as warm as it should have been and they had a lot of seafood out and not so much beef or chicken.
Of course, we rebooked while on board. It makes leaving the ship so much easier when you know you will be cruising again in a year. It was my FIL's first cruise and he had a blast. It was a slightly weird albeit good one transitioning from the VWL to the ship. The level of service and the happiness of everyone skyrocketed. The downside is going to finish up at BLT and the service level drops and its back to the me attitude. Any questions or comments? Feel free.

Weather_Lady

I'd love your opinion on this: for those planning to combine a cruise with a WDW stay (2 adults, 2 kids about 8-10ish), what would you recommend doing first, if one wants to ensure that they won't feel "let-down" when they transition from one to the other?

EOD K9

Original Poster
I'd love your opinion on this: for those planning to combine a cruise with a WDW stay (2 adults, 2 kids about 8-10ish), what would you recommend doing first, if one wants to ensure that they won't feel "let-down" when they transition from one to the other?
Man, that is a tough call. Getting off the boat and heading to the airport is a let down in and of itself. Upside is that everyone ends their vacation on the boat together. Maybe, you could do your park activities first, then cruise, then spend an unwinding day on the property without going to the parks. You can still stay in the magic for one more day without having to be in the hustle and bustle of the park.
We went to the MK on our return from the cruise because when staying at BLT, how could you not walk over to MK? I also have an 18 year streak to keep going. What is nice about a cruise is that there is a set number of people, in the park, who knows. The price for a one day MK ticket is also insane for the amount of things the wife and kids could do. We did baby swap for SDMT, which was kinda cool. I think next time, we will do the parks first, cruise, and then just stay on property one night and just relax. I hope that helps.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have gone to WDW both before and after the cruise and I would generally default to doing WDW before.

That however would be predicated on how you do WDW.

For most, WDW is not relaxing. There is always the pressure to go, go go, do everything, etc. While I love my time there, I often make the comment that I need to go back to work to take a vacation toward the end of a WDW trip.

The cruise is the exact opposite of that. The capacity of the ship is low enough to where you do not feel like you have beat the masses to a park or show. You can take it at a leisurely pace and not miss what the ship has to offer.

Given the choice I would much rather hit the real world recharged from the cruise vs worn out from the parks.

Now on the flip side, if you have the cash and the time to do a week of WDW at a slower relaxed pace both before and after cruise I would do it in a heart beat.

Much-Pixie-Dust

We did this last June with two adults and a nine year old. Pre-Cruise, we stayed one night at POR. DD loves the princess rooms and activities, such as Surrey bikes, fishing, etc. We arrived at POR by 9:00 a.m. and enjoyed the resort all day. In the evening we went to dinner at Ohana and watched fireworks from Poly. It was so nice and relaxing. Post-Cruise, we stayed 5 days at AKL, doing resort activities and hitting the parks for a few hours each day. Post-Cruise, we ended up spending most of our time at the resort rather than the parks. I think if we were wanting to go to the parks more, then we would do it prior to the cruise, rather than post-cruise. Like the OP said, I think I going from the ship to airport would be sad. I would want to spend at the 1 day if possible back at Disney. We thought the service at Disney World was great until we went on the cruise. It was phenomenal on the cruise, still nice on land, but nothing like the service on the ship.

NelleBelle

I was just thinking about this today! I've never felt more let down coming back from a vacation than when we disembarked from the boat to head back to the airport. I was thinking of booking 1-week at the parks after we come back from our next cruise. Yes, the cruise was sooo relaxing, but we come from the west coast where we find the east-coast time zone very difficult to adjust to, making it hard to get up early to go to the parks. I found that on the ship, especially when we were at sea the first 2 days, I could sleep in and get used to the time change slowly. By the end of the cruise, everyone was adjusted and could easily get up in time to hit the parks before the crowds.

kirari

We decided to do our cruise in the middle of our WDW stay. As @Master Yoda said, we think that the parks are not relaxing, even if we've never been there already. But we know dlp, and It's smaller but already exhausting. So we do 5 days parks, 4nights cruise, then again 5 days parks.

lostpro9het

Our first cruise we loaded the bubble visit on the front end and drove straight home after the cruise. Talk about a dreary ride home after such an awesome week. We decided to try bookending the bubble on our next cruise so we will try 2-3 days before and after on our next cruise. While I will agree the parks are not relaxing, but plenty fun, I will counter with a day at Stormalong Bay or watching animals roaming the savannah from my balcony is.

TomHendricks

I have a question about the Small World Nursery. When you made your reservations for it, did you have to give specific times or did you just indicate the day? Can you put your child in the daycare, take them out for a little while and put them back in? Any other info would be great.

EOD K9

Original Poster
I have a question about the Small World Nursery. When you made your reservations for it, did you have to give specific times or did you just indicate the day? Can you put your child in the daycare, take them out for a little while and put them back in? Any other info would be great.

You are allowed to advance book 10 hours after you pay in full. You gave specific half hour blocks. On my Nassau day we had them in there from 10-12 and then from 2-4. That being said, we had those hours pre-booked. If you take them out during their time you booked, you will still be charged that time. If there is availability, you can drop them off last minute, just call ahead. If you have more questions, please ask, I'm happy to help.

EOD K9

Original Poster
Just to make sure I have this clear, you can book a total of 10 hours? In half hour increments.
When the time comes for you to make your shore excursions, dining reservations, everyone is allowed to book ten ahead of time. After that, it is first come first served. We were able to get a few day of reservations, and a day in advance once on the ship. Yes, half hour increments.

StageFrenzy

Did they change the positioning of the boats on the carpet or add more boats? Have you thought about staying at one of the other Orlando resorts with large pools and amenities rather than in the bubble post trip?

jaklgreen

I use the stairs regardless of what deck I am going to and call it a day. Gotta get rid of those cookies before they become permanent.

Oh we do use the stairs. And also power walk deck 4 every day. My comment was more tongue in cheek then reality.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Oh we do use the stairs. And also power walk deck 4 every day. My comment was more tongue in cheek then reality.

I'm in reality with it. I eat a strict diet on a daily basis, including at WDW, but go nuts on cruises. Little gym time after an early breakfast. Some staircase cardio, and eat more!

EOD K9

Original Poster
I ate like a fat b@$tard on the cruise. I did a nice jog on deck four and used the stairs as much as possible. Unfortunately with a dual stroller, I had to use the elevator a few times. On a good note, I came back a half pound lighter.

StageFrenzy

I use the stairs regardless of what deck I am going to and call it a day. Gotta get rid of those cookies before they become permanent.

I ate like a fat b@$tard on the cruise. I did a nice jog on deck four and used the stairs as much as possible. Unfortunately with a dual stroller, I had to use the elevator a few times. On a good note, I came back a half pound lighter.

I'm a speed guy and always like to take the stairs, aside from going to dinner when the Mrs. is in a dress and heels.

ChuckElias

Did they change the positioning of the boats on the carpet or add more boats?
Did the carpets originally have only 3 ships (for the Magic, Wonder and Dream)? I've only been on the Dream once, so I don't remember that detail. If they had the four ships (since they knew the Fantasy was being constructed), there wouldn't be any new ships on the carpet pattern, right? o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom