Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Eckert

BrerJon

Holy Synergy, Batman!

I mean, King Kong is already a classic brand that needs no introduction, but this is a good idea for the kids...now they won't be terrified of King Kong when they ride like I was with Kongfrontation? :oops:

The synergy is fantastic with this project. I think Skull Island (of Adventure) will open first, next summer, then the King of the Apes animated show will debut, and finally at the end of 2016/early 2017 we get 'Kong: Skull Island', the movie the whole thing revolves around.

It's a brilliant, brilliant piece of cross planning. Imagine if Disney was as we speak constructing a Star Wars land to tie in with the new movies to open around about the same time - that's how on the pulse Uni is right now.

JoeCamel

I need to rent me a kid so I can ride Pteranodon Flyers and get a better look than I can see from the path. Went yesterday and the scaffold was gone along the top of the roof.

SJN1279

The synergy is fantastic with this project. I think Skull Island (of Adventure) will open first, next summer, then the King of the Apes animated show will debut, and finally at the end of 2016/early 2017 we get 'Kong: Skull Island', the movie the whole thing revolves around.

It's a brilliant, brilliant piece of cross planning. Imagine if Disney was as we speak constructing a Star Wars land to tie in with the new movies to open around about the same time - that's how on the pulse Uni is right now.

Disney is doing that with Avatar and Toy Story. I'm sure Star Wars Land will open around a movie release of Star Wars too. For Kong, I actually think the movie delay will hurt their planned synergy. Having the movie open before the ride is always optimal.

The animated Kong show is Netflix only.

Eckert

I need to rent me a kid so I can ride Pteranodon Flyers and get a better look than I can see from the path.
Isn't that what Child Swap is for?? :confused:

You can get a really good view of the building from Dudley Do-Right, but that obviously comes with a price...

Disney is doing that with Avatar and Toy Story. I'm sure Star Wars Land will open around a movie release of Star Wars too. For Kong, I actually think the movie delay will hurt their planned synergy. Having the movie open before the ride is always optimal.

You forget that King Kong doesn't necessarily need a movie tie-in. The giant ape is one of the most famous movie icons in the world. Sure the aesthetic is resembling Peter Jackson's King Kong, but everyone already knows who King Kong and what we might expect with a ride involving him.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

There's absolutely no reason to expect anything SW-related will open before or concurrent with the new film....

SJN1279

You know Avatar 2 will open after Avatar Land, right?

I could see Avatar opening late 2017, with the movie out that December and sequels to follow consecutive years after. Total synergy.

If Kong's ride opens next summer, that is a full 9/10 months before the movie drops in March 2017. The buzz for the ride will have pretty much died once the movie drops.

That said, both Avatar and Kong were delayed theatrically and it messed up the original theme park plans in both cases.

JT3000

I could see Avatar opening late 2017, with the movie out that December and sequels to follow consecutive years after. Total synergy.

Total synergy for a movie series no one will care about by then. The novelty is gone.

Disney is doing that with Avatar and Toy Story. I'm sure Star Wars Land will open around a movie release of Star Wars too.

You shouldn't be sure that a "Star Wars Land" is opening at all.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Disney isn't releasing the Avatar films. There is no synergy within TWDC in regards to Avatar.

And let's be honest: Kong, Toy Story, and Star Wars don't need film or television tie-ins to sell. It's helpful, sure, but these are big enough franchises to carry their own substantial weight.

Avatar needs help, because there are very few people that have given that film the time of day the past few years. That project is still such a massive mistake, especially from a merchandising and commercial point-of-view.

BrerJon

I knew about Avatar, but hadn't heard the announcement of anything to do with Toy Story or Star Wars.

AliciaStella

Finally got a chance to check out the new skull-themed construction walls. They jut out pretty far, but the area does look a little cleaner with them in place.

Here's a few pics:

P1020674-1024x768.jpg

P1020680_small.jpg

P1020739-1024x768.jpg

P1020712-1024x768.jpg

P1020726-1024x768.jpg

P1020742-1024x768.jpg

I posted lots of more pics on my blog. I'm new to the forums here. I usually post mainly at Orlando United but I've been lurking here and decided to post today.

Mike S

Original Poster
Finally got a chance to check out the new skull-themed construction walls. They jut out pretty far, but the area does look a little cleaner with them in place.

Here's a few pics:

P1020674-1024x768.jpg

P1020680_small.jpg

P1020739-1024x768.jpg

P1020712-1024x768.jpg

P1020726-1024x768.jpg

P1020742-1024x768.jpg

I posted lots of more pics on my blog. I'm new to the forums here. I usually post mainly at Orlando United but I've been lurking here and decided to post today.
Welcome to the forum :) I really like seeing the pictures posted on OU and took it upon myself to start a thread here for them since there wasn't one already. I always tried to credit where I got them if they weren't my pictures. Nice to have some of the load off now that you're here too :hilarious:

Clyde

Here's a few pics:

P1020674-1024x768.jpg

P1020680_small.jpg

P1020739-1024x768.jpg

P1020712-1024x768.jpg

P1020726-1024x768.jpg

P1020742-1024x768.jpg

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

JoeCamel

Was there today - sorry no pics but they have some of the vertical trees in the gate opening and the structure for several more rock points to the right of the gate opening so it looks like there will be at least 5 points. It just gets bigger each time I go look. The facade is huge befitting the Kong theme

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom