A Spirited Perfect Ten

Nick Pappagiorgio

So what happens when kids are rough housing and they skin their knee(s) on the concrete patches mixed in with the fake grass? Staph or no staph (or other bacteria or whatever?) that can still cause a potential problem with bloodborne pathogeons?

I do not know your qualifications or if you are even qualified to answer this but so far you have the best answer...wouldn't that alone be a reason for concern?

Oh the places this thread goes...

NobodyElse

Astroturf is really bad in the heat. But I haven't seen any conclusive scientific evidence linking it to cancer. It doesn't appear to be a cause-effect relationship based on the research today.

It's anecdotal observations for now, but the issue is with the use of recycled tire rubber for in-fill material. As these "lawns" won't be used for sports, the problem probably won't apply.

Cesar R M

But But But the MK is at it's most MAGICal when the gate receipts are $10,000,000 for that day alone...
meanwhile.. at Iger's
2pmZdHr.jpg

..People who hate the current state of WDW and find no enjoyment or stimulation in it. Yet still spend countless hours reading and posting about. That I will never understand.

T9PmWO8.gif

DisneyOutsider

So what happens when kids are rough housing and they skin their knee(s) on the concrete patches mixed in with the fake grass? Staph or no staph (or other bacteria or whatever?) that can still cause a potential problem with bloodborne pathogeons?

I do not know your qualifications or if you are even qualified to answer this but so far you have the best answer...wouldn't that alone be a reason for concern?

LOL... okay this whole 'Astroturf hysteria' is getting hilarious/pathetic.

Ban Theme Parks!!! They're not safe!!

peter11435

Though I could ask you, if you find no enjoyment or stimulation in this thread, why are you here?

When did I ever say I didn't find enjoyment in this thread? I never said that. I was pointing out an ironic somewhat hypocritical statement.

The problem with this thread and many of our forum posters here these days is that they don't want to hear opposing viewpoints. There is no debate. They simply attempt to silence anyone that opposes their view. They tell them they shouldn't be here or come up with rude names and memes in an attempt to make them uncomfortable so they'll leave.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

I don't think anyone visits MK because of the Mine Train, they would go to the park anyway, but once they arrive the lines are long because it's the first new ride in years to come along with any level of thrill. When DCA expanded crowds grew massively, but there was enough new things across the park to spread the crowds out.
You're right in a sense. There aren't many families of four from Cleveland who book six nights at Caribbean Beach to see the mine train. But there ARE loads of locals, APs, cast members, DVC, and one-day guests who absolutely do. The conversation goes like this.

-Let's go to a Disney park on Saturday.
-Sure, which one?
-I don't know, what's new?
-They just opened that new Mine Train.
-At Magic Kingdom? Kewl!

And this continues even for guests that have ridden Mine Train before. Even if you prefer Soarin' and Test Track, you've probably ridden them 20 times before so you might default to the place with the ride you've only done once or twice.

asianway

I feel like this is a little bit of an oversimplification. Just looking at the graph you see the massive fallout from Euro Disney having an enormous effect. Then items like initial problems with The Disneyland Resort and Disney's Animal Kingdom also make themselves known in the numbers. As well as two recessions. I'm just not confident in saying that the margins problems are directly attributable to Walt Disney World Resort operations in particular when they have multiple other properties dragging them down.

You bringing in Universal Studios into the mix suggests that they understand efficient Theme Park management better. That's actually an interesting premise. Do you think it has to do with Resort hotels? Disney has considerably more rooms then Universal.

Thanks! I'm a big fan!
Some of those hotels are getting $600+ a night with, aside from transportation, less amenities than a Fairfoeld Inn

hopemax

My previous posts were about design aesthetics, but since "Disney is a business..."

Marketing, in general, spends an awful lot of time and money researching the psychology of everything related to their products and selling environment. From the colors used in the brand logo, the placement of an item on a shelf, layout and decor of the stores etc. Here's a link, not meant for reading, but to indicate just one of the ways Marketing researches stuff. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/00251740610673332 Disney knows a couple of tricks, REALLY well...nostalgia sells, the emotional proud parent watching their kid, that sells.
On a basic level comfort matters. So if someone is too hot or too cold, you don't get the right environment for maximum sales and satisfaction. I kept hearing that the "new Peter Pan queue is really good," but when I went through it, all my husband and I felt was that the corridors felt so small, and closed in, and despite not normally having a problem with enclosed spaces, we felt like the queue was claustrophobic and thank goodness it was only 9:30AM on a cool day, because we wouldn't want to be stuck there if it was any hotter or more crowded.

The Hub is so wide open, even though distance hasn't changed it feels like it takes so much longer to walk it, than it did before. This is the same thing that happened at DL when they redid the Disneyland Hotel and Downtown Disney. Many people swear that the monorail platform was moved and rebuilt, but it wasn't. But the environment changed enough that people's perception was altered.

Disney used to know these things, either through inherent knowledge and a lot of trial and error. And all that is being sacrificed for one immediate benefit. Yes, more "personal space" is nice, but if you add one positive environmental factor, but make 3 things worse, you are worse off than you were before.

Now, I don't think most guests will be able to articulate any of that, anymore than they can articulate why they like a certain brand logo over another one. But I do think it will show up in people's behavior, and stress levels when touring the park, and ultimately how willing they are to buy, or rate the enjoyment of their day. Again, big business spends a lot of resources figuring out this stuff, and I don't think Disney has given it a second thought.

dizneycrazy09

When did I ever say I didn't find enjoyment in this thread? I never said that. I was pointing out an ironic somewhat hypocritical statement.

The problem with this thread and many of our forum posters here these days is that they don't want to hear opposing viewpoints. There is no debate. They simply attempt to silence anyone that opposes their view. They tell them they shouldn't be here or come up with rude names and memes in an attempt to make them uncomfortable so they'll leave.

Bullied out essentially.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On the cost reduction front I've frequently wondered why WDW has not deployed robotic bartenders they are now cheap enough starting about 25,000 for a unit which makes 600 drinks including most of the Tiki Bar drinks. Many Vegas hotels use similar systems you can vastly increase margins because 'Just Enough' liquor and mixers are used plus you can replace a bartender making good money with a minimum wage CM.

http://smartbarusa.com/demo

I was kind of expecting TS to have a robot bar tender to save on labor cost.

gmajew

Premium Member
My previous posts were about design aesthetics, but since "Disney is a business..."

Marketing, in general, spends an awful lot of time and money researching the psychology of everything related to their products and selling environment. From the colors used in the brand logo, the placement of an item on a shelf, layout and decor of the stores etc. Here's a link, not meant for reading, but to indicate just one of the ways Marketing researches stuff. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/00251740610673332 Disney knows a couple of tricks, REALLY well...nostalgia sells, the emotional proud parent watching their kid, that sells.
On a basic level comfort matters. So if someone is too hot or too cold, you don't get the right environment for maximum sales and satisfaction. I kept hearing that the "new Peter Pan queue is really good," but when I went through it, all my husband and I felt was that the corridors felt so small, and closed in, and despite not normally having a problem with enclosed spaces, we felt like the queue was claustrophobic and thank goodness it was only 9:30AM on a cool day, because we wouldn't want to be stuck there if it was any hotter or more crowded.

The Hub is so wide open, even though distance hasn't changed it feels like it takes so much longer to walk it, than it did before. This is the same thing that happened at DL when they redid the Disneyland Hotel and Downtown Disney. Many people swear that the monorail platform was moved and rebuilt, but it wasn't. But the environment changed enough that people's perception was altered.

Disney used to know these things, either through inherent knowledge and a lot of trial and error. And all that is being sacrificed for one immediate benefit. Yes, more "personal space" is nice, but if you add one positive environmental factor, but make 3 things worse, you are worse off than you were before.

Now, I don't think most guests will be able to articulate any of that, anymore than they can articulate why they like a certain brand logo over another one. But I do think it will show up in people's behavior, and stress levels when touring the park, and ultimately how willing they are to buy, or rate the enjoyment of their day. Again, big business spends a lot of resources figuring out this stuff, and I don't think Disney has given it a second thought.

I am sure the scare of a trample and people feedback on survey is the reason why the hub project was green lit.

No way they were not going to not allow max capacity in during busy season and if they wanted to do that they had to do this or have a serious accident.

I know I have friends that hated going to MK because of the hub issue during spring break etc.... I always countered no worse then in between Small world and peter pan.

CaptainAmerica

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. You're reaching soooooooo hard to find criticisim of the hub that you're just making things up now. Bloodborne pathogens? Really? Why is a kid more likely to hurt himself on concrete amidst fake grass rather than concrete amidst real grass or concrete by itself or stone or brick or tile or dirt or asphalt or...

dizneycrazy09

What happens when kids are walking on the elevated flower beds, fall off, and scrape their knee? When you're surrounded by 40k+ people, there's always a chance you're going to be exposed to any number of pathogens, diseases, etc.

spacemt354

Chili's

You're right. There is no debate when you add nothing to the conversation. You only come here to badger naysayers or point out how unfair everything is.

And instead of actually quoting my whole post, and having a discussion, you quote the part where you don't have to actually discuss anything and can instead simply continue on your quest.

If you do (?) find enjoyment with this thread, it seems like you find enjoyment in calling out people. I can agree that the immaturity and name-calling should be beyond members here (we are all adults, right?) and it has no place in a family forum. That being said the members in question are the vocal minority and it's really hypocritical to call out members for calling other members out...:confused:

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I am sure the scare of a trample and people feedback on survey is the reason why the hub project was green lit.

No way they were not going to not allow max capacity in during busy season and if they wanted to do that they had to do this or have a serious accident.
The new hub design can not prevent an accident nor would it be any more safe if a stampede broke out. The purpose of the new hub is to allow MORE people in than previous. The wider walkways would technically allow for more people to possibly bulldoze over the kids passed out in their stroller.

Do you really believe a wider walkway will cause people to be more civil and calm in the event of a panic?

Also consider the bottleneck effect that would occur at MSUSA. Once all those people got passed the hub they still have to get to the exit so now you have more people than ever slamming into Main Street. Im sure the new hub will come flying in with a cape on its back and save the day! Super Hub to the rescue!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom