A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Repentant Orc speaks the truth on the live-action Mulan

Given Disney's dismal "brand presence" in China and constant pandering to it, you know that a 'Mulan' reboot was a must. [1]

@AnotherVoiceDIS Please. Big Hero 6 and Cinderella have been huge hits in China. [2]

@WDWVacationer Brand presence - people knowing about and desiring all the products produced by your brand. Like Mickey & Co. [3]

@AnotherVoiceDIS The films are a huge part of building a brand presence. It's strong. Getting stronger. [4]

@WDWVacationer That's the strategy, but Disney is way behind on their plans - especially with Shanghai D/L on the way. [5]

Remember that the animated 'Mulan' was an explicit attempt break into the mainland market. It didn't go very well at all. [6]

@CaptMichael87 Mao don't do Mickey and Mulan was so amazingly off from the meaning of the legend people hate it even today. [7]

I certainly don't agree the BRAND presence is strong in the mainland. People can say it, Iger can lie to CNBC and Wall Street about it, but I've lived and worked there multiple times.

The lack of people getting into Hakuna Matata at HKDL was apparently enough for Willow Bay to censor a column -- Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China -- for her man.

But while Chinese audiences largely sit quietly (stoically even) at stage shows at HKDL, I can tell you that when Be a Man is staged during the Golden Mickeys, the crowd gets into it loudly. And when the pyro show does an extended Mulan section, people cheer.

But ... time to grab a nice fresh pizza. Oh, don't worry ... I'll be back ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I certainly don't agree the BRAND presence is strong in the mainland. People can say it, Iger can lie to CNBC and Wall Street about it, but I've lived and worked there multiple times.

The lack of people getting into Hakuna Matata at HKDL was apparently enough for Willow Bay to censor a column -- Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China -- for her man.

But while Chinese audiences largely sit quietly (stoically even) at stage shows at HKDL, I can tell you that when Be a Man is staged during the Golden Mickeys, the crowd gets into it loudly. And when the pyro show does an extended Mulan section, people cheer.

But ... time to grab a nice fresh pizza. Oh, don't worry ... I'll be back ...

What KIND of Pizza???, Dinner for me will be a nice hot curry, the kind that removes paint from cars :hungry:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Because your typical person wouldn't dress business casual at a scorching Florida theme park unless you're getting paid to do it??

I hardly consider a Disney polo shirt or a "Mickey In Paradise" collared shirt business dress.

Never could understand why Americans dressing like a slob is considered comfortable..., As for long pants well it keeps the sunburn and insects away.

RSoxNo1

Oh, I think that's certainly a big part of it as well. But I also think sometimes people oversimplify it to simply be an issue of "the other parks need more rides". While that's true, it's not the only factor that leads guests to park hop to MK. If there were more large nighttime extravaganzas at the other parks, I think it would help keep people at them, especially if combined with some additional attractions.
Nighttime shows are all well and good, but when there's 3 hours of other content in the park the nighttime show is a waste. It works in Epcot because the park has a dozen table service restaurants to get people there for dinner, and people that hop there can get on a selection of high capacity rides (not Soarin' or Test Track) that make a guest feel like they did something.

I've used the comparison before and I'll use it again. Disney is the fat person that will do anything to lose weight, except diet and exercise. They will do anything to raise revenue except build new rides.

RSoxNo1

I knew that place was in trouble years ago when the first dumbing down happened. That was when the appetizers were cut and Americanized more for the simple palates that WDW attracts (and if you think I'm an adventuresome eater, then I'd invite you to listen to what my SO 'Angie M' has to say on the topic).

That's also when the great, and light, fresh pineapple with caramel dipping sauce (so many worlds better than the fanbois favorite: Dole Whip!) was replaced by a very heavy, fattening bread pudding type of dessert that in no way was Polynesian unless you wrote a food blog and wanted freebies from Disney!
How dare you speak ill of the bread pudding. It is absolutely fantastic.

BrerJon

I approve this comment!
so many times our view was blocked by an idiot with his gigantic ipad trying to film everything (and he had an iphone and a camera on his neck!)

I really want to know how many people who film fireworks shows ever watch them back, and how many times. My guess is zero. It's a colossal waste of time, blocks other people's views, and if you really must watch that fireworks show again somebody else is bound to have put a better quality version than yours up on YouTube.

PhotoDave219

That too.. Vagrants... all of those tank-top wearing/turkey leg eating tourists

Exactly. If they raise prices again, we can keep out the riffraff.

God for bid any of them take pride in the personal parents. Some of them walk around in a tank top & Jorts looking like they just got hit in the face with a shovel....

Nemo14

Exactly. If they raise prices again, we can keep out the riffraff.

God for bid any of them take pride in the personal parents. Some of them walk around in a tank top & Jorts looking like they just got hit in the face with a shovel....
posting from the phone again?

BrianLo

One question for you @WDW1974 .... how long do you give it before we hear reports about staph potentially being an issue?

Staph is a commensurate bacteria on your skin, I'd avoid aspirating it, cutting yourself with it, or sticking it up your urethra... but nothing is going to happen "staph"-wise by sitting on it.

Contact dermatitis could be a concern for people, but real grass causes plenty of people allergic reactions too. I'd hazard a guess that this stuff is far more hypoallergenic.

OK the verdict is still out on that BUT the slippery surface and the heat retention still stand as valid concerns.

Real grass is slippery, concrete retains a heck of a lot of heat and people sit on that all the time for the parades (I definitely had a too-hot curb experience in HKDL, but it eventually settled into a toasty bum). I don't think the grass retains more heat than concrete, but I'm basing that on all of the pictures of people happily rolling around on the stuff in the middle of the day.

I'm not trying to defend the fake grass by the way, hate it for aesthetic reasons, but the train of thought that it's going to harm people is a little over-the-top sensationalist.

BrerJon

And where are the new attractions to support all of these new visitors? If you would have told me in 1994 that the MK of 2015 would have less attractions - I wouldn't have believed it. Yet - here we are...

You're not thinking Blue Ocean enough. Yes there may be fewer attractions, but guests today can plan easier (which apparently reduces the pain of choice and lets them be spontaneous) and can get in the turnstiles and pay for things with a band.

According to Disney and many of its fans this is far more impressive than any billions worth of attractions would be. Take that Disney fans of 1994, I don't see any Magic Bands on you, you poor people.

BrerJon

This logic is backwards. I like it, and I wish it were the case, but it's not the reality. New attractions make the park more crowded, not less. Rather than "supporting visitors," they draw additional guests. The additional crowds for Mine Train, for example, far exceed the additional capacity that Mine Train provides, making everything else more crowded.

I don't think anyone visits MK because of the Mine Train, they would go to the park anyway, but once they arrive the lines are long because it's the first new ride in years to come along with any level of thrill. When DCA expanded crowds grew massively, but there was enough new things across the park to spread the crowds out.

spacemt354

Chili's
Real grass is slippery, concrete retains a heck of a lot of heat and people sit on that all the time for the parades (I definitely had a too-hot curb experience in HKDL, but it eventually settled into a toasty bum). I don't think the grass retains more heat than concrete, but I'm basing that on all of the pictures of people happily rolling around on the stuff in the middle of the day.
I'm not trying to defend the fake grass by the way, hate it for aesthetic reasons, but the train of thought that it's going to harm people is a little over-the-top sensationalist.

If you're talking about synthetic turf it can actually be hotter than concrete. In some cases significantly hotter. But before jumping to conclusions I would like to ask from someone who has been to the Hub whether they can define the turf as synthetic turf (like on a soccer/football field) If so, it can become very hot.

While I don't think people will be seriously injured from it, as that's a bit extreme, some shade production in these areas would be very beneficial.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom