Mission space

epcotisbest

Multiple missions would be great. I find I ride it now mainly to enjoy one or two moments of it with much of the rest just being 'filler' to me. Don''t get me wrong, it's a good overall experience but after a few rides it loses a bit. Because of this I tend to not waste a FP on it and tend to not wait in line if the wait exceeds 15 mins or so. Adding more missions like Star Tours did would certainly make my interest pique.
A wise man once said..."Multiple missions would be great." Good idea there.

wdwjmp239

I LOL'd at the Dave & Busters comments. Though, I can see M:S being the main attraction at a Dave & Busters. Now, there's a reason why to charge what they charge at a D&B! :D

wdwgreek

Which four rides at Epcot do you not count as rides, as we rode nine our last trip and enjoyed them all? Besides, rides are only a small part of Epcot. You should stick with DNB. We have gone to Epcot many times and never even gotten on a ride and had a wonderful time. Same with AK. Try a show, see a film, appreciate the architecture, try some different foods, stroll through the shops, check out the landscaping, watch the street performers and entertainment in the different countries...or just go somewhere else. Comparing one of the most high tech rides in the world with DNB...hyperbole at best.
Woah lets calm down, I am an architecture nut, I've eaten at nearly every restaurant in World Showcase, I just got back from Food and Wine where I rode maybe two attractions, and saw every World Showcase film and presentation. I can quote word and verse the American Adventure. I have spent days watching the various world showcase players. That said, Epcot is sorely lacking in rides, no denying that, not as bad as Hollowood Studios, which actually has 4, Epoct has Soarin, Living with the Land, an imagination ride that is a shadow of its former self, a Spaceship earth with a laughable descent, a wonderful test track, ellens energy adventure sans Ellen's AA, and the mexico ride. 6 "rides" and throw in Mission Space, its 7. I personally hated it, I am 5'7" and 130 pounds, it was clusterphobic and uncomfortable. It doesn't help it lays on top of Horizons, arguably one of the best Epcot attractions, comparably its not more then a carnival graviton.

Daniel Johnson

It's laughable how people could think Mission Space is some kind of throw away attraction. We are talking about technology NASA uses and it's actually similar to their training experience. This is a $100M attraction.

Is it the same or similar? I'm confused.
Honestly. I didn't know they used anything I like this. I couldn't be an astronaut. Vomit city.

epcotisbest

Woah lets calm down, I am an architecture nut, I've eaten at nearly every restaurant in World Showcase, I just got back from Food and Wine where I rode maybe two attractions, and saw every World Showcase film and presentation. I can quote word and verse the American Adventure. I have spent days watching the various world showcase players. That said, Epcot is sorely lacking in rides, no denying that, not as bad as Hollowood Studios, which actually has 4, Epoct has Soarin, Living with the Land, an imagination ride that is a shadow of its former self, a Spaceship earth with a laughable descent, a wonderful test track, ellens energy adventure sans Ellen's AA, and the mexico ride. 6 "rides" and throw in Mission Space, its 7. I personally hated it, I am 5'7" and 130 pounds, it was clusterphobic and uncomfortable. It doesn't help it lays on top of Horizons, arguably one of the best Epcot attractions, comparably its not more then a carnival graviton.
Your own list of seven actually has eight rides and you left out Nemo which brings the five rides up to nine. Anyway, I'm plenty calm, just amazed you compared MS to DNB. Just because you hate it does not make it any less amazing.

JIMINYCR

It would be nice if when they refurbed, they added a section to serve as a tribute to the Nasa astronauts and other astronauts that have travelled into space from other countries. It would only add to the space theme and bring a bit more realism to the attraction. Yes, Kennedy space center is nearby but it wouldnt diminish their sites.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

It would be nice if when they refurbed, they added a section to serve as a tribute to the Nasa astronauts and other astronauts that have travelled into space from other countries. It would only add to the space theme and bring a bit more realism to the attraction. Yes, Kennedy space center is nearby but it wouldnt diminish their sites.

You know, now that you mention it, the approach to the attraction is definitely part of the "cheapening" (if you can call it that) of the ride. The post-ride "playground" is the biggest offender to me. I think they could just give some areas a facelift and there would be a world of difference. There is a small "tribute" inside the queue, but an actual tribute with some cool science about what is next for humanity and space exploration would be swell.

Last edited:

SMRT-1Michael

Never enjoyed this attraction. I was there opening day in 2003 and was completely thrown for a loop from all the G-Force. Immediately unbuckled and RAN to the nearest planter (and I was only 10 years old)

wdwgreek

Your own list of seven actually has eight rides and you left out Nemo which brings the five rides up to nine. Anyway, I'm plenty calm, just amazed you compared MS to DNB. Just because you hate it does not make it any less amazing.
Amazing is not an adjective I would use to describe mission space. The DnB comparison may have been slightly trite, but the only way I can describe the Mission Space experience is underwhelming, uncomfortable, and over all unpleasant. Alliteration aside, Horizons was amazing, Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, all amazing Mission Space is an entirely different category, if you like gravitons, I will yield that it is a very well themed graviton. Not my cup of tea at all, I've rode both intense and tame sides and found both equally unpleasant. Each to their own. To comment on some other posters views, multiple endings or actual effects of the "jobs" you are assigned would be nice pluses.

epcotisbest

Amazing is not an adjective I would use to describe mission space. The DnB comparison may have been slightly trite, but the only way I can describe the Mission Space experience is underwhelming, uncomfortable, and over all unpleasant. Alliteration aside, Horizons was amazing, Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, all amazing Mission Space is an entirely different category, if you like gravitons, I will yield that it is a very well themed graviton. Not my cup of tea at all, I've rode both intense and tame sides and found both equally unpleasant. Each to their own. To comment on some other posters views, multiple endings or actual effects of the "jobs" you are assigned would be nice pluses.
You have my least favorite on your amazing list. I hate Haunted Mansion. Been going to WDW for more than 30 years and just never got it. Yes, it is an all time classic but I simply don't care for it at all. For me it is completely skippable, and honestly I don't remember the last time we went on it, but it has been years. So, I like the outer space theme and don't care for the dead people theme. Truly to each their own. And I am certain there are way, way more people who hate MS than HM. I also don't do MNSSHP. Would not go to that if someone paid me to attend.

EOD K9

And don't forget the graviton in MK known as Carousel of Progress. The spinning on that ride is really intense. I don't know how people handled it back in the World's Fair.

GwrChurchward

I would be a fan of mission space if it was a proper simulation of a space mission, not a b utton pushing sisimulation.

Apologies for I am using google voice typing.

GwrChurchward

Mouse_Trap

It's laughable how people could think Mission Space is some kind of throw away attraction. We are talking about technology NASA uses and it's actually similar to their training experience. This is a $100M attraction.

We all agree it needs some updating, but it's an incredibly advanced ride and experience you really can't find anywhere else. There are rollercoasters, drops, and other "thrill" rides, but the sensation experienced on Mission Space is almost one of a kind. It was so advanced and unnatural for people, they had to essentially dumb down half of it for people getting too sick.

It's truly a small taste of how it feels to go to the moon and that's incredible.

With the right updates, it would be right back up there as one of the most advanced and immersive rides around.

To be fair, I've been on it a good few times and had no idea it was a centrifuge ride....I always assumed it was a sim similar to Wild Alaska at Seaworld (or any other motion sim really).
For me, I just don't really feel anything on it.....and what there is seems to last only a few seconds.

JohnD

Been to WDW I think 6 times since September 2013 and I've avoided M:S like the plague. Going back to WDW May 12-18. I hope to muster the courage for Green with my FP+ this time.

Chef Mickey

You have my least favorite on your amazing list. I hate Haunted Mansion. Been going to WDW for more than 30 years and just never got it. Yes, it is an all time classic but I simply don't care for it at all. For me it is completely skippable, and honestly I don't remember the last time we went on it, but it has been years. So, I like the outer space theme and don't care for the dead people theme. Truly to each their own. And I am certain there are way, way more people who hate MS than HM. I also don't do MNSSHP. Would not go to that if someone paid me to attend.
As you said, to each his own. However, let me just voice my opinion.

Calling The Haunted Mansion skippable, saying you hate it, and deaming it your least favorite is borderline insane and ridiculous at minimum. My guess is you are just anti anything ghost related.

Chef Mickey

I would be a fan of mission space if it was a proper simulation of a space mission, not a b utton pushing sisimulation.

Apologies for I am using google voice typing.

GwrChurchward
The button portion is a very minor portion of the ride. The simulation, as I've stated in the thread, is quite accurate.

If nothing else, it IS a proper simulation of going to space because it's as close to NASA testing as it gets. Not sure how much better of a simulation they could offer...it is in fact what they use to simulate space travel, just not as intense because general public couldn't handle more intense. Many proved they could not handle 2.5G sustained.

Chef Mickey

The queue is beautiful, the building architecture is amazing, the theming is on point, the pre show is thoughtful and well done, and the ride is as close to space travel as we will ever get. To call it underwhelming is perhaps just expecting too much or indicates you're not interested in a real space travel simulation, which is fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom