Resort Recommendations for July

KIsAPrincess

Original Poster
Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice. We are going to the World in July for my little's 1st birthday. She has a 7 year old sister as well.

Our plan is to get her first haircut at Magic Kingdom at 11:30 and we have late lunch ressies at BOG at 2:00 that day. Afterwards, the plan is to go back to our resort to hang. My 7 year old and I MAY venture back into the Magic Kingdom later that evening, if there are EMHs.

The next day, we are planning to hit a water park. My husband and 7 year old will probably stay longer than my 1 year old and I. I will take her back to the resort and hang out with her and wait for them. We have a 7:30 ressie at Beaches and Cream (just thought it would be fun to do.) And are thinking about walking to Epcot for the evening afterwards.

Obviously we want to stay on property because of the little one. I am nervous about lugging her stroller around on and off of the busses.

Prior to having kids, we often stayed at the Contemporary. We love it. My daughter, not so much. This will be one of the first times that we will have time to hang at our hotel and swim (the girls love the water).

Any ideas on a place that would be good for us?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing your responses.

:)

epcotisbest

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice. We are going to the World in July for my little's 1st birthday. She has a 7 year old sister as well.

Our plan is to get her first haircut at Magic Kingdom at 11:30 and we have late lunch ressies at BOG at 2:00 that day. Afterwards, the plan is to go back to our resort to hang. My 7 year old and I MAY venture back into the Magic Kingdom later that evening, if there are EMHs.

The next day, we are planning to hit a water park. My husband and 7 year old will probably stay longer than my 1 year old and I. I will take her back to the resort and hang out with her and wait for them. We have a 7:30 ressie at Beaches and Cream (just thought it would be fun to do.) And are thinking about walking to Epcot for the evening afterwards.

Obviously we want to stay on property because of the little one. I am nervous about lugging her stroller around on and off of the busses.

Prior to having kids, we often stayed at the Contemporary. We love it. My daughter, not so much. This will be one of the first times that we will have time to hang at our hotel and swim (the girls love the water).

Any ideas on a place that would be good for us?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing your responses.

:)
Wilderness Lodge. Good restaurants, two great pools, wonderful location and theming, and fun boat ride to Magic Kingdom. Hope you are prepared for heat and summer crowd in July.

MermaidJuli

If you are trying to avoid busses, then any of the monorail resorts would obviously be good choices. If you aren't interested in Contemporary, Poly is beautiful and more kid-friendly (in my opinion) than Grand Floridian. Also agree with the Wilderness Lodge for all of the reasons mentioned by @epcotisbest.

Since you have an ADR for Beaches and Cream and you're also going to Epcot, you may also want to consider one of the resorts in the Boardwalk area - Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan and Dolphin. All are beautiful resorts and there's a lot of activity and energy in that area for when you're spending time hanging at the resort.

Gaston's gal

I do love how Wilderness Lodge is just right across the water (a boat ride away) and has a beautiful view of MK. The Contemporary would be good since you could walk from there. If you get a Theme Park View Room, then whomever is in the room with the little one could still see the fireworks at night. You have some fun activities planned to make the trip magical for your children. Great job, Mom!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I do love how Wilderness Lodge is just right across the water (a boat ride away) and has a beautiful view of MK. The Contemporary would be good since you could walk from there. If you get a Theme Park View Room, then whomever is in the room with the little one could still see the fireworks at night. You have some fun activities planned to make the trip magical for your children. Great job, Mom!
You can see the MK from only a few upper floor rooms at the WL. The trees make it difficult to see the park. Having stayed at the WL many times, I would not say the resort has a "beautiful view of the MK." It is a wonderful resort for dozens of reasons, but that isn't one of them.

Last edited:

ToInfinityAndBeyond

If you're primary destination is MK, then go for the WL, otherwise, I strongly recommend something on the Boardwalk loop. Your only two buses are to MK and AK and they're both fairly short compared to taking a bus from WL to AK.

jlsHouston

You are probably going to be better off with a 1 year old at one of the monorail resorts. I have stayed at the GF, POLY and not CR but BLT. I think POLY, or the old POLY is my favorite..except the Volcano pool was kind of small for a theme pool I thought, but we loved it anyways. Didn't really like the pool at BLT, it was so loud and didn't visit the CR pool. I think the GF has great pools. Has a really nice splash pad for young children not sure if your 7 year old is short enough for it. Not overly impressed with the WL theme pool but I love everything else about WL.

I would probably stay at the GF if I were going in summer because of the pools. I love WL at Thanksgiving. Then the pool doesn't matter because if it's not in the high 80's I'm not going to be laying out anyways much less jumping in water, heated or not.

BigRedDad

I am not sure if you are stuck staying at a Deluxe or if that is your primary goal. As far as a stroller goes, I never had a problem with one. The park(s) you plan to visit most will determine where to look. If it is primarily MK, then a monorail resort is ideal. WL is not too bad and you have the boat. Epcot and DHS are best served being at YC/BC, BW, Swan/Dolphin. If it is AK, then obviously AKL.

For pools, it depends on what the older kids want in a pool. BC/YC have the best pool on property. You'll pay a premium for it, especially in July as I have recently found out. Moderate resorts have very nice pools as well. POR and Coronado Springs pools are both very nice. Value resort pools are just pools with maybe a water jet feature. The only exception I had read is AoA which is supposed to have one of the best themed pools (without a slide though).

I highly recommend looking for a good DVC rental. Although not my first choice of resorts, I did get a 1BR Suite at SSR for $1,250 for 7 nights. We will have a car which means we only need to use a bus for MK. It also gives far more space, kitchen, and laundry.

KIsAPrincess

Original Poster
I appreciate all of the suggestions! Thank you so very much.
My biggest concern with the busses, I know how tired people are and I don't want to hold anyone up trying to lug her stroller if it is just me and her (for example, heading back to the hotel when she needs a nap or to get out of the sun.) We are all Florida natives and pretty prepared and used to the heat, but I'm thinking it's best to give the little one some shade at some point.

What's funny is that I told my husband that this was a completely unplanned, let's relax kind of trip - but then in looking at what I wrote, we have a ton of stuff already planned! (The event planner in me works even on vacay time).

Deluxe isn't really our end "goal" per say, I was just wondering what other's experiences were since we have always only stayed at the Contemporary (mostly because of conferences - the company I worked for did ALL of their meetings there) and then after, really - it was the only hotel we had experience at so we would always book it.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's responses and the time out you took to comment! You have given me a lot of food for thought. Thanks!!

BigRedDad

The way to look at it is unless you are only going to specific parks, you will have to get on a bus at some point. The monorail resorts can get you to MK and EPCOT without a bus. EPCOT resorts will let you walk or boat to DHS and EPCOT. Anything is going to be difficult with a 1yo and a stroller alone. You will need help. Just plan on hitting the bus before major crowds.

As for getting out of the sun, I completely agree. There are things at the parks that can get you out of the sun and into the AC. I do recommend back the resort though.

DizneyPryncess

Since you're spending time at Epcot, have a reservation at Beaches & Cream, and you mentioned your kids love the water, the Beach Club is what comes to mind. You can walk to Epcot, it has an amazing pool, and your ADR is right there. I like the Boardwalk as well for similar reasons. If you're spending the majority of your time at MK outside of that day, I'd stay at the Polynesian. I just prefer the theme there over the other monorail resorts. And being on the monorail would be so convenient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom