PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

CaptainAmerica

I agree a buck a beer. But $1 for a $20 specialty cocktail? When your party of four/five made the server do separate checks for each person? Bad form.
I would never order a $20 specialty cocktail, so my comment about usually leaving "$1 per drink" was more what I do when I order, and what I order is beer.

On that note, do we know what the actual prices are?

71jason

On that note, do we know what the actual prices are?

I didn't write them down or itemize, so don't quote me. That said, Pearl (with plastic cup) is $11. Nautilus is $30 without bowl, $52 with (once bowls arrive). Rum flight is $30 with shotglasses (three 3/4-oz pours). I want to say other specialty drinks were low to mid $20s. Beer is the same as across property.

BTW, less there be any doubt, the Mai Tai is worth the money.

71jason

asianway

Some more random observations from Trader Sam's opening two nights ...

* For the first time in my life, I saw a woman nursing in a bar. (And no, not drinking her drink slow ...) If you're so impatient to see a new Disney bar that you take your borderline-newborn in there ... you might be a lifestyler.

* No Kungalooshes or other off-menu specialty drinks at the moment. Heard the same canned answer twice, they want to give the staff time to master the new menu. BTW, if you were too young to drink at the Adventurers Club, but still order a Kungaloosh in a Disney bar ... you might be a lifestyler.

* Crowds died down fast. Yesterday, opening line was probably not even a third of what it was Saturday. And as mentioned, but late evening, could walk in. Keep in mind, it's the second busiest week of the year, everything should be slammed. My guess is the 21+ policy is a large part of that.

* Speaking of, bartenders are fast and strict about no children at the bar--not even lap-sitting. I remember there was a 4-page debate on this a couple months ago.

* Patio is beautiful, completely relaxing. I see it becoming more popular than the inside bar, which will be polarizing (too weird for the non-Disney fanatic resort guests just looking for "daddy daycare").

* The Polynesian Pearl is one of the signature drinks, comes in an $11 plastic cup you have to buy (unlike the higher priced mugs, which are optional). 1 in 100 is a black, not white pearl. I imagine if you're lucky enough to get one, put it on eBay and you can finance a night in one of the new bungalows. :)

* The 23-year-old rum in the rum flight is amazing. The 15-year-old Pyrate was very good as well, and even the 8-year Bacardi was pleasant.
Is there an "I hurled first" button for lightweight lifestylers?

durangojim

* The 23-year-old rum in the rum flight is amazing. The 15-year-old Pyrate was very good as well, and even the 8-year Bacardi was pleasant.
Yeah, that's Ron Zacapa Solera 23 which is my favorite rum to drink neat or on the rocks. Here in Michigan it's not too expensive at $45/bottle but it is wonderful.
BTW, less there be any doubt, the Mai Tai is worth the money.
I'm looking forward to these and the Krakatoa. Out at DL they both were my favorites and were hard to beat when we rented a cabana at the DL Hotel pool and basically drank them all day.
Prices of the shared drinks seem to be right on point with a "high-end" Tiki bar here in Chicago. Regular specialty drinks seem a bit high. I guess that's the Disney markup.

http://threedotschicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/drink-menu.pdf?03-30-2015
3 Dots and a dash is an awesome place and so are their mugs! Definately a little more serious vibe though than Trader Sams but still wonderfull none the less, and some very very strong drinks (Jet Pilot, I'm looking at you. Jet Fuel is more like it)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thank the longshoremen's union. Most of the WDW-specific mugs, including the Nautilus and "our" Uh-Oa bowls and Zombie heads, are stuck somewhere in the Pacific Ocean at the moment. Using ones pilfered from DLR until they are available.

Sorry friend, if you think there have been any non-Lifestylers in that bar the past 2 nights, you don't fully understand what the word means.

One would think that WDW might have sourced US made barware - eliminates union induced supply chain issues, and BTW the resort mugs are made in the US

Sage of Time

How sure are you on this? I was under the impression that the Nautilus was backed up, only, and that the WDW specific mugs were only the Mai Tai, the rum flight, and the Nautilus.
Thank the longshoremen's union. Most of the WDW-specific mugs, including the Nautilus and "our" Uh-Oa bowls and Zombie heads, are stuck somewhere in the Pacific Ocean at the moment. Using ones pilfered from DLR until they are available.

71jason

How sure are you on this? I was under the impression that the Nautilus was backed up, only, and that the WDW specific mugs were only the Mai Tai, the rum flight, and the Nautilus.

Bartenders told me the Krakatoa and Zombie would be coming with different glazes, so different color. And while my memory is hazy, there will be another Uh Oa bowl, similar to the one on the menu.

SirLink

If you buy at the bar patio you return the mug you drank out of and take your receipt to the inside greeter. They'll give you a new mug in a box to take home.

I assume the same thing happens if you're inside except your server brings it to you.

Return the mug to the patio bar?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom