The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

George Lucas on a Bench

I have heard conflicting things about Innoventions. MiceAge is still saying a 60th exhibit, but CMs are being told that a collection of Star Wars exhibits and meet-n-greets is taking over the first floor later this year and that the Marvel meet-n-greets will remain. Anyone hear anything else?

The second possibility makes perfect sense. They can promote Episode VII and have Star Wars meet and greets on the first floor and keep doing the Marvel meet and greets upstairs. I can see them doing that.

dweezil78

I have heard conflicting things about Innoventions. MiceAge is still saying a 60th exhibit, but CMs are being told that a collection of Star Wars exhibits and meet-n-greets is taking over the first floor later this year and that the Marvel meet-n-greets will remain. Anyone hear anything else?

Yeah... I would think they have plenty of room in the Opera House and gallery space to set up an exhibit for the 60th. Seems strange to do this over in Tomorrowland IMO.

Little Green Men

They don't get Walt's Disneyland "D" in Florida, the un-cool and un-hip and un-Californian cubicle drones in Celebration, Florida don't understand our local culture here and that "D" is something only Disneyland can pull off. Yay for Anaheim fighting off the corporate cubicle army!
This?
WDW_D.gif

Little Green Men

That's fabulous! I remember when that was everywhere at WDW in the 70's and 80's, and it was great.

Now it's just on a few boutique merchandise pieces aimed at milking Disney nerds out of more money. They don't use it anywhere except merchandise, and even then only a few select pieces.
And the monorail outside the door, and being added behind the seats in a continuous pattern.

TP2000

Right, he said that DL fought off the cubicle drones to get it's classic D back. I'm just saying WDW has started to bring back it's D as well.

Actually, I never said the D came "back", because the classic Disneyland "D" never went away in Anaheim. It's been in continual use on park items, paper goods, and marketing materials since 1955. Although it did get a bit of a font tweak in the early 1960's to the font we know today. The original 1950's font looked like this...

2011ticketbroch45.jpg

But by the early 1960's it had morphed slightly into this version, still in use today. This font is broader and less vertical with the capital D, especially with the wispy ends of the letters that stay on a more horizontal plane.

1968.jpg

I'm just impressed that they still use the font so widely in Anaheim, and the banners in front of the Castle are the first time it's been used there in that location. Something unique for the 60th!

There are cubicle drones in Celebration, Florida who have no idea why it's a thing. But there it is, shining in the warm California sun... Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom of Disneyland, and it's unique font.

Now about those sparkly Michael's Crafts straps on the Castle rooftops, those really need to go.

Sage of Time

I took a walk in the park this morning and checked out the Castle. For whatever reason, pictures just don't capture this overlay well.

The thing that makes this overlay look dumb is the sparkly straps outlining the turrets and criss-crossing the rooflines. Those things have to go, they just look dumb and cheap, like someone spent too much time browsing at Michael's Crafts.

Otherwise, the Castle overlay looks great. It's very bright and fresh looking, and very sparkly, but I like it. The dark blue bunting looks good, and the pennants with the classic Disneyland "D" on them are a nice touch. I like that classic "D" because it flies in the face of the charmless Florida-based corporate culture that Disney Parks have become in the last decade. It's a throwback to not just Walt's era, but also to Eisner's 1980's era when Jack Lindquist was the last Walt-guy in charge of the Anaheim property.

They don't get Walt's Disneyland "D" in Florida, the un-cool and un-hip and un-Californian cubicle drones in Celebration, Florida don't understand our local culture here and that "D" is something only Disneyland can pull off. Yay for Anaheim fighting off the corporate cubicle army!
Florida does use THIS "D", so there is that...
2u7ysqw.jpg

And let's not forget when Disneyland ditched the D logo for the resort in favor of this...

sunshine_resortlogo.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom