Different Credit cards same family

jensenmom72

Original Poster
can there be different credit cards linked to different magic bands or does it have to be the same one ie daughters debit card linked to her magic band? Also can the purchase function be turned off on a kids MB?
Thanks in advance and sorry if already been answered.

Tom

Beta Return
You can definitely prevent children's bands from having charging privileges, but I can't answer your question about having 2 cards on 1 reservation. I've never heard a definitive answer.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You cannot have separate credit cards linked to separate bands on the same reservation.

Reason: The card doesn't link to the band. The card links to the reservation. Then the various bands "share" that reservation.

Tom

Beta Return
You cannot have separate credit cards linked to separate bands on the same reservation.

Reason: The card doesn't link to the band. The card links to the reservation. Then the various bands "share" that reservation.

That's what I thought. I knew the part about cards being tied to MDE/reservation, but I wasn't sure if they found a way to apply different cards to different users in the back end.

However, if someone in the party needs to pay for a portion of the room charges, they can go to the front desk before their last day and apply a payment toward the balance. Then the rest will auto-charge to the CC on file the morning of check-out.

Weather_Lady

That's what I thought. I knew the part about cards being tied to MDE/reservation, but I wasn't sure if they found a way to apply different cards to different users in the back end.

However, if someone in the party needs to pay for a portion of the room charges, they can go to the front desk before their last day and apply a payment toward the balance. Then the rest will auto-charge to the CC on file the morning of check-out.

That's how we did it last time, when another family member and I were each paying different portions of the final bill. At check-out, we went up to the desk with the invoice that showed all the charges to our room (our reservation had been linked to my card). We just circled the ones that were to be charged to my family member's credit card instead of mine, and the CM took care of it and gave us each separate receipts.

Last edited:

Otterhead

Yes. What CaptainAmerica says is 100% true. Lots of CMs don't know this, which I discovered on my last two visits, when various members of my party registered card numbers at the checkin desk but discovered mid-trip that they'd been charging everything to the card registered to the fellow who made our reservations.

Rob562

I'm sorry, but that's not true.

If the CM at the front desk sets things up properly, you 100% can have multiple cards. In fact, after a system upgrade about 5 years ago (presumably a precursor to the MDE/Magic Band implementation) it's even easier for the CM to set up multiple charge accounts. (Before, it was a very long and involved process that very few CM's knew how to do it)

We just did it this past November at both Riverside (three people, three different cards) and Saratoga Springs (four people, four different cards). The only "hiccup" was the day I stopped into the front desk to check on my own balance. At first the number she gave me was the combined total for everyone's accounts. After I picked my jaw up off the floor thinking I'd gone *way* over budget and how the heck was I going to pay all that, I found that it was combined. She then gave me just my own balance, as well as printed out the complete folios for all four individual accounts.

When checkout day came, I was emailed a copy of all four charge accounts, which were charged to the four individual credit cards just as they should have.

The problem isn't that it can't be done, it's having the CM set it up properly. Also, your best bet to minimize any possible issues is to *not* set up charging when you do online check-in and wait to do it all at the resort.

-Rob

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm sorry, but that's not true.

If the CM at the front desk sets things up properly, you 100% can have multiple cards. In fact, after a system upgrade about 5 years ago (presumably a precursor to the MDE/Magic Band implementation) it's even easier for the CM to set up multiple charge accounts. (Before, it was a very long and involved process that very few CM's knew how to do it)

We just did it this past November at both Riverside (three people, three different cards) and Saratoga Springs (four people, four different cards). The only "hiccup" was the day I stopped into the front desk to check on my own balance. At first the number she gave me was the combined total for everyone's accounts. After I picked my jaw up off the floor thinking I'd gone *way* over budget and how the heck was I going to pay all that, I found that it was combined. She then gave me just my own balance, as well as printed out the complete folios for all four individual accounts.

When checkout day came, I was emailed a copy of all four charge accounts, which were charged to the four individual credit cards just as they should have.

The problem isn't that it can't be done, it's having the CM set it up properly. Also, your best bet to minimize any possible issues is to *not* set up charging when you do online check-in and wait to do it all at the resort.

-Rob
I'm wondering if this is new? I'm 99% sure that they weren't able to do this under the first iteration of MDX.

Rob562

I'm wondering if this is new? I'm 99% sure that they weren't able to do this under the first iteration of MDX.

It's not new, we did it 3 years ago when it was still room key cards. (4 people, 3 different cards where two people shared the same credit card)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom