The youngest you would take a kid

Disnee4Me

Yep first my DS was 16 months old and had a blast. His bedroom was all decorated with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto, so he knew the characters ... even had a name for Mickey --- "ditty". It was one of his first words actually!!

WWWD

Our first one was a little over 2 years old (hey, you have to get those free years in) and the other 2 kids were infants or in the womb. We couldn't just stop going because we were still having kids or the older ones would miss out. I will say that we waited until the first few set of shots with the younger two and my wife was nursing so we did consider that. I mean it is Disney - germs everywhere. :depressed:

stevehousse

We are going with our daughter who will be 7 months for her first trip in May. We have 2 older kids 6 and almost 4, both went on trips just a few months older. It sounds like a bigger hassle than it ever is, always a fun time! I will say that age 3 and 4 are the perfect age because the kids just get so taken aback by everything and they think it is so magical!

LAM378

I probably wouldn't take a child younger than a year old. My family is going next month and my niece will be 17 months old, and even that makes me a little nervous. I know everything will be harder with a baby, and I'm worried about germs, and that she'll be an over-stimulated little monster every day. Judging from her Easter bunny experience, she'll be terrified of the characters. But her big brother is 3 1/2 and the perfect age for WDW, so we're giving it a go.

It's do-able with a younger child, for sure, but I'd plan a million breaks, manage my expectations big time, and be very germ-conscious. I'd also go during a cooler time of year. I saw many, many infants there last summer and felt sorry for them in the brutal heat.

CaptainAmerica

I probably wouldn't take a child younger than a year old. My family is going next month and my niece will be 17 months old, and even that makes me a little nervous. I know everything will be harder with a baby, and I'm worried about germs, and that she'll be an over-stimulated little monster every day. Judging from her Easter bunny experience, she'll be terrified of the characters. But her big brother is 3 1/2 and the perfect age for WDW, so we're giving it a go.

It's do-able with a younger child, for sure, but I'd plan a million breaks, manage my expectations big time, and be very germ-conscious. I'd also go during a cooler time of year. I saw many, many infants there last summer and felt sorry for them in the brutal heat.
Everything I've read and everyone I've spoken to says it's MUCH harder to go with a toddler than it is with an infant. Infants have the advantage of being able to sleep anywhere, and you don't have to worry about them running off on their own. I think scheduled breaks are much more important for toddlers and young children, since infants are more than capable of taking a cat nap amidst the chaos rather than needing a scheduled trip back to the hotel.

Regarding the germophobia that you and @alissafalco mentioned, it's certainly a consideration but I'm not going to let media-driven fear make that decision for me. Seventy cases at Disneyland out of 20 million annual visitors? I'll take my chances. It's much more likely that my daughter picks something up at the grocery store or church; or that we get in a car accident on the way to Grandma's house.

ETA: Regarding the heat, millions of babies LIVE in Florida year-round and do just fine. I think it's much more important to watch your baby for signs of distress, spend time indoors, and keep a slow pace than it is to ONLY visit in the winter.

Edit #2: I apologize if my post sounds defensive. Some of the things I'm reading here come across as "you're a bad parent if you'd dare subject your child to the horrors of Disney before age X."

LAM378

Edit #2: I apologize if my post sounds defensive. Some of the things I'm reading here come across as "you're a bad parent if you'd dare subject your child to the horrors of Disney before age X."

And that's certainly not my intention.

Regarding germs, it's not even about measles hysteria for me. I'm talking about garden-variety colds and stomach viruses that run rampant in any public places. Those are uncomfortable for a toddler but potentially very dangerous for an infant. I wouldn't want to be dealing with my baby's first big illness on vacation.

Yep, babies live in hot places every day and do just fine, but park touring is different from everyday life, where most parents avoid keeping their infants in the heat for long stretches. Strollers are hot. Being held skin-to-skin in a long queue is hot. Being breastfed under a blanket is hot. It's not bad parenting, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Feeding in general was another issue for my family--I'd rather take a toddler who is self-feeding and can eat off my plate or from a snack tray while riding in the stroller, than deal with bottle or breast feeding on vacation. But that's a personal preference.

And yes, you're right: a little baby is easier to corral and nap than a running toddler. I can't argue with that. But so many aspects of a WDW trip are a hassle with any young child. I'd rather take a toddler than an infant because the toddler will at least get some real enjoyment out of the trip, making the hassle worth going through, IMO.

I don't think it's "wrong" to take an infant. I just know that for me, it would be more mentally and physically exhausting than taking a toddler.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My daughter was two months for her first trip. Learned to sleep through the night on that trip. My sons first trip was 14 months. He learned to walk the day before our trip That part was interesting.

Tinkerkelle

We were travelling from the UK and the length of the flight combined with the cost was a big factor in our decision not to go until our youngest was 6. We took our oldest on his first trip to Disneyland Paris when he was 3 and when his brother was 2 and a half (he was 6) we went back - it is a different experience when they're really little and everything is completely magical to them. No, they won't remember, but you will.

The upside with travelling with a baby is they generally cost nothing in terms of travel fares, tickets, dining, etc; they are young enough to nap in the stroller and you don't need to worry about sudden toilet stops! For us, 3-5 were the years we wouldn't consider a Disney holiday as ours didn't nap during the day by then; didn't want to be in a stroller; were toilet trained but needed to go as soon as they needed to go and needed to sick to as normal a routine as possible to avoid meltdowns.

My cousin is not long back from WDW with her 12 month old and they had a ball. She was old enough to recognise the familiar characters and to get excited by the whole spectacle of Disney and she added nothing to the cost of their holiday as she was under 2. Whenever you decide to go, have a magical time!

DiSnEyF@n

If you can convince your wife, then do it. Does anyone ever regret a trip to Disney?

Here's a big sell point for me: You guys have been on the exhausting endless new parent rollercoaster together with a new baby for the past few months. Go, not only for your daughter, BUT YOURSELVES. You made it through the hardest part of parenting (until she turns 13) What better place to celebrate surviving this than the place that makes YOU feel like a kid. Of course your daughter wont get it. Or remember it. Or wrap her arms around you saying "oh thank you daddy" . But she will be in awe of it all - and you'll be in awe of her being awe. Let's all be honest, trips to WDW with babies are not for the babies alone - they are for the parents - and so what?

Go. Go get your daughter a pair of ears. And then get a pair for your wife and yourself, and give each other a high five.

Wow!!! Great advice!

jaklgreen

We took ours when they were 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old. It worked out really good. It is good for them to be able to get out of the stroller and walk around to get some fresh air. I know how sweaty they get being held or in the stroller. So I would wait until they can walk around a bit.

Courtney6682

disney2001.JPG

Brooklyn's first Disney trip...2001...she was 17 -18 months old and LOVEDDD it...loved meeting all the characters...loved the rides...it was great

dizknee24

We are going in 2 weeks with an 8 month old. It's understood that we wont be going at our normal pace. I think if you are OK with adapting to your child, then no age is too young. Of course at this age it's more a trip for memories and not for his enjoyment. He wont remember it, but we will and it sure beats sitting in PA for a week.

stevehousse

We are going in 2 weeks with an 8 month old. It's understood that we wont be going at our normal pace. I think if you are OK with adapting to your child, then no age is too young. Of course at this age it's more a trip for memories and not for his enjoyment. He wont remember it, but we will and it sure beats sitting in PA for a week.
We will be at the world in 2 weeks 3 days, staying at CBR with our youngest being 7 months old.

MaryJaneP

Funny how everyone, us included, seem to think that if the parents are up for it, the infant will do fine. BTW, our youngest was 18 months at her first visit. No memory but priceless pictures and her parents really needed the trip. Did we take everything more slowly? Absolutely! Would we make the trip without her because of her age? Never!

mouse_luv

I wouldn't take a kid until they are at least 2-3 years old. Unless I already had the trip planned and paid for before they were born etc..

Disneykid•

Never too young to go to disney! Even if they can't go on all the rides they soak up the atmosphere and magic of it all. Charecters will fuss over babies to no end and they love it! Also because of baby swaps you won't miss out either!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom