Is Old Key West really THAT spread out?

jengrey

Original Poster
I'm planning a 2016 trip and would like to try OKW. It looks like a nice resort and I've been to the real Key West and absolutely loved it, so I'm thinking about booking there. I'm reading reviews about how spread out it is and how you should rent a car to get around, etc. Is it that bad? I've never walked the grounds there, I've only seen maps and photos of the resort. This trip would be for just my husband and I. We're both pretty physically fit and I love to walk (I try and do a brisk 3-mile walk every day), so I'm just wondering how spread out it is.

Also, how is the bus transportation to the parks?

MrDee

If one can walk around amusement parks all day, one will be just fine....and the busses (to my recollection....I've only stayed there once, and it was awhile back) had no major issues, and we were vacationing with a pretty good-sized group of people. Enjoy, its in my top three Disney resorts.

Sparky359621

I'm planning a 2016 trip and would like to try OKW. It looks like a nice resort and I've been to the real Key West and absolutely loved it, so I'm thinking about booking there. I'm reading reviews about how spread out it is and how you should rent a car to get around, etc. Is it that bad? I've never walked the grounds there, I've only seen maps and photos of the resort. This trip would be for just my husband and I. We're both pretty physically fit and I love to walk (I try and do a brisk 3-mile walk every day), so I'm just wondering how spread out it is.

You may need to allow extra time for getting to the parks depending on what bus stop you are closest to.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We have stayed there multiple times, and feel no need for a car. If you are DVC or renting DVC points, you can book the "near the Hospitality House" rooms which are right across the street. The problem with those is that the HH is the last bus stop, and can be full and bypassed in the mornings (we saw this happen a few times). We always request the Peninsular Road (and have gotten it every time), since it is the first bus stop, and a short (less than 5 minute) walk to the main buildings (pool, etc.).

If you are booking with cash, it is doubtful that there would be any availability for the units near the Hospitality House, so you won't have much choice there.

We never had any issues with the buses at all. Good luck!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
OKW is my favorite resort for a relaxing WDW vacation. The resort is very spread out as it's not a traditional "resort" layout. Think of it more like a neighborhood. When I've stayed there, I never spend much time in the common areas (main pool, lobby) and there's very limited quick service dining. That's never been an issue for me, as we do most of our eating at the parks. There are "quiet" pools here and there for something close to your specific building, but they're not especially exciting for kids. As others have said, you're never too far from a bus stop but some of those bus stops are earlier or later in the resort's loop.

Minthorne

OKW is great and you can use any park bus going around inside to get back up t the HH, that's why it stops there last. I like Peninsular Road if you can't get the preferred rooms near HH.
The rooms are so much bigger here and the studios have 2 Queen beds!

PinnySmart

I like the description CaptainAmerica used. It is like a neighborhood. I feel the same way about Saratoga Springs. You said you love to walk so IMHO I think you will enjoy Old Key West. I have rented my points to vacationers in the past and some like it and some don't but I think it is lovely and very relaxing.

epcotisbest

Put me in the really enjoy OKW group. Yes, it is spread out, which adds to the charm. Quiet pools are closer to your room if you don't want to make the hike to the main pool. Overall lovely resort.

scottnj1966

My wife and I just stayed there a whole week

scottnj1966

My wife and I just stayed there a whole week. It's a very peaceful beautiful resort. Yes it is spread out but easily navigated with the walkways or buses. They have boat transportation to Downtown Disney or you can even walk there. I walked everywhere but I enjoy that type of activity. If you don't the busses to all the parks from at least four different stops around the resort.
Try the chicken pot pie soup at Olivia's. It was amazing. Enjoy!

scottnj1966

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...7.1073741959.311571493276&type=3&uploaded=117

Blairnicol

I prefer OKW to POR or POFQ. All the buildings are closer to parking and the one bedroom suites are HUGE. They also have two double beds, the only ones in the DVC lineup to have this feature. If you enjoy a morning walk, I HIGHLY recommend. If you are concerned about location compared to busses, ect ask for something close to Hospitality House.

We spent 10 days in a two bedroom unit in OKW last November & loved it.
The units are huge, we took my in laws & never felt like we were living on top of each other.
The resort is spread out but we did not encounter any problems with buses.
Go for Peninsular Road if you can get it.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I know Disney Vacation Club says "Welcome Home" to everyone at all the resorts, but Old Key West is the one Disney Vacation Club resort that really feels like you are staying in a home (a condo) more than a hotel. Last month we stayed in a two bedroom villa on the golf course and it was just like staying at the condo I stayed at a golf resort recently. My home resort is Boardwalk Villas and I love them but they still feel more like a hotel suite than a "home".

FrostyNaples

Wife & I booked here for May, first time at this resort.

When i did online check-in i asked for Peninsular Rd area, seemed central enough looking at a map. We shall find out soon enough anyway!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wife & I booked here for May, first time at this resort.

When i did online check-in i asked for Peninsular Rd area, seemed central enough looking at a map. We shall find out soon enough anyway!
The best area really. First bus stop, and only a few minute walk to the main pool and other buildings. Hope you have a great trip!

FrostyNaples

The best area really. First bus stop, and only a few minute walk to the main pool and other buildings. Hope you have a great trip!

Looking forward to it. Originally had a studio room booked this past Feb for my birthday but had to cancel, an opportunity to purchase our first home came up, and we got it. Now that the dust has settled a smidgen, I priced out the same place, but found right now the 1bd villa was available, and cheaper than the studio, so I mashed the keyboard and mouse as fast I could to grab it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom