NASCAR 2015

jw24

I've been quiet about my 24. He hasn't got off to a good start but at Phoenix, he finished 9th. At least the first Top Ten of the season. Hopefully it'll mean better things to come. He's won 3 times at Fontana in California so I'm hoping for the best!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I've been quiet about my 24. He hasn't got off to a good start but at Phoenix, he finished 9th. At least the first Top Ten of the season. Hopefully it'll mean better things to come. He's won 3 times at Fontana in California so I'm hoping for the best!

Oh, the season is young. The 24 has plenty of chances to catch up; IMO, he's one of the very best drivers in NASCAR, and even more determined to leave the sport with an impressive year. I suspect we'll be hearing about him in the top 5, in due course.

I'm excited about a number of drivers this season, and Jeff is definitely in "my" group! :)

wdwfan4ver

Brian Vickers is sidelined this weekend to recurrence of blood clots. Brian Moffitt will taking Brian's place.

This is now the 4th time there is something Blood Clot related for Vickers. I hope that his medical problem is able to be to under control since off the track should be concern with him right now.

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
20140914__Brad Keselowski~p1.jpeg

Auto Club 400, California

1. Brad Keselowski
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Kurt Busch

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The ending laps of the Auto Club 400 were very exciting! I was pulling for Happy for first place, but he still drove a great race and came in second. :)

As for @MR FERRET 's comment about the officiating, I don't often understand the officiating either. (I just assume they know way more than I do, as I'm just a fan of the sport.) There are some other members of the forum here who can probably explain it better, as some are more knowledgeable about the rules of the sport.

wdwfan4ver

I actually can not explain the officiating of NASCAR because of how inconsistent NASCAR is through the years. Case in point is the caution that didn't come when Brad was 2nd and Kurt was in first when a crash happened, but yet NASCAR had no problem finishing the this year's Daytona 500 under caution when there was a crash.

I don't want to say if the reason NASCAR didn't call the caution was due to Kurt leading the race because of how inconsistent NASCAR has been through the years when it comes to rules or calling cautions unlike the races teams fixed in Formula 1 in the past.

When there is a crash on the track, there usually needs to be caution due to parts coming off unlike a spin even when the cars involve drive away.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I actually can not explain the officiating of NASCAR because of how inconsistent NASCAR is through the years. Case in point is the caution that didn't come when Brad was 2nd and Kurt was in first when a crash happened, but yet NASCAR had no problem finishing the this year's Daytona 500 under caution when there was a crash.

I don't want to say if the reason NASCAR didn't call the caution was due to Kurt leading the race because of how inconsistent NASCAR has been through the years when it comes to rules or calling cautions unlike the races teams fixed in Formula 1 in the past.

When there is a crash on the track, there usually needs to be caution due to parts coming off unlike a spin even when the cars involve drive away.

That's both interesting and confusing at the same time. Makes me wonder: is there an official rules book with cut and dry explanations? Or, are the rulings in this sport governed by a more subjective nature, by the NASCAR officials, as to whether or not the yellow Caution flag gets called?

wdwfan4ver

That's both interesting and confusing at the same time. Makes me wonder: is there an official rules book with cut and dry explanations? Or, are the rulings in this sport governed by a more subjective nature, by the NASCAR officials, as to whether or not the yellow Caution flag gets called?
It is a subjective nature if a caution flag gets called. That is true in any form of racing. I been following NASCAR since 1993, and racing since the 1980's in Indycar. The difference between NASCAR and any racing series is how consistent the rules are depending on who the racing steward is.

As far as the rule book goes, I have no idea if there is any cut and dry explanations. The problem is the rule book of NASCAR is something that the racing media actually has a hard time to get their hands on and fans don't have an access to the rules at all unless NASCAR makes an announcement of Rule changes or what the broadcast team of the NASCAR races tells the viewers.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It is a subjective nature if a caution flag gets called. That is true in any form of racing. I been following NASCAR since 1993, and racing since the 1980's in Indycar. The difference between NASCAR and any racing series is how consistent the rules are depending on who the racing steward is.

As far as the rule book goes, I have no idea if there is any cut and dry explanations. The problem is the rule book of NASCAR is something that the racing media actually has a hard time to get their hands on and fans don't have an access to the rules at all unless NASCAR makes an announcement of Rule changes or what the broadcast team of the NASCAR races tells the viewers.

With the subjective calls, (depending upon the racing steward), this could really put a different spin on some of the race outcomes, I would imagine. I'm going to pay more attention to this aspect of the races from now on.

wdwfan4ver

Team President of Joe Gibbs Race, J.D. Gibbs is getting treatment for impacting areas of brain function, including speech and processing issues. J.D. Gibbs is one of the sons of NFL Legend and NASCAR owner Joe Gibbs and is only 46 years old.

All is known is doctors think think J.D. Gibbs brain function issues is from is caused by head injuries he had earlier in life. The brain function issues includes speech and processing process.

He played Football in college from 1987 to 1990 and that may or may not of caused J.D. Gibbs brain function issues. I can't blame football for sure due to the fact he also did extreme sports like snowboarding and racing.

Thoughts goes to the Gibbs family.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Just read this (from Fox Sports, link below) about Kyle Larson fainting and taken to hospital. Hope he's o.k.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...autograph-session-is-taken-to-hospital-032815
I hope he's okay too, and at least that didn't happen inside a racecar during the race. I am saying due to the late Dale Earnhardt Sr at the 1997 Southern 500.

The late Dale Earnhardt Sr. suffered a dizzy spell and passed out during a start of the 1997 Southern 500 and hit a wall a time when there was no safer barriers. I saw it happen live on my television set at the time and it was something very scary to put it mildly. What happened to Earnhardt for causing that wasn't known.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
For those who missed the race at Martinsville, VA, yesterday:

STP 500:

1. Denny Hamlin (# 11 Toyota)
2. Brad Keselowski (# 2 Ford)
3. Joey Logano (# 22 Ford)

9th: Jeff Gordon (# 24 Chevrolet). Jeff kept himself in the top 10, despite the fact that he was penalized for exceeding the posted speed limit on Pit Row. (Pit Road speed is 30 mph, but NASCAR, apparently, will give the drivers some slack up to 4.99 mph; so his speed had to be above 34.99. In the post-race interviews, Jeff was frustrated that this happened, as he blew a potential win at Martinsville.)

16th: Regan Smith (#42 Chevrolet; Regan drove the car for Kyle Larson, while Kyle was undergoing further medical evaluation for his fainting spell.)

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR announced the 31 team of Ryan Newman was penalized 75 driver and owner points for doctoring tires. Ryan's Crew chief, engineer and tire technician got suspended for 6 races and probation for rest of the year. The crew chief also was fined $125,000.

The 31 team doctored tires by bleeding air from the tires, likely by putting a small hole in them. Allowing air to bleed would increase grip, which typically decreases during a run as the tire begins to wear and air pressures build.

What the 31 team did isn't the only way to doctor tires. The other way a race team can doctor tires is by soaking tires in a substance and that also is illegal.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
NASCAR announced the 31 team of Ryan Newman was penalized 75 driver and owner points for doctoring tires. Ryan's Crew chief, engineer and tire technician got suspended for 6 races and probation for rest of the year. The crew chief also was fined $125,000.

The 31 team doctored tires by bleeding air from the tires, likely by putting a small hole in them. Allowing air to bleed would increase grip, which typically decreases during a run as the tire begins to wear and air pressures build.

What the 31 team did isn't the only way to doctor tires. The other way a race team can doctor tires is by soaking tires in a substance and that also is illegal.

The past week, I was reading bits and pieces of various news reports about tire tampering scenarios, and I wasn't sure what to think of it. They hadn't pinpointed any specific driver or team, but it sure did sound like something was up. It's really disappointing to read about people bypassing the rules. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom