Earth hour

yensid67

Heard of it before, just didn't think it was observed here in the US. But it really wouldn't hurt Disney Parks to observe it 'somehow'...maybe dim/turn off the popcorn lighting on the buildings, or some other lighting that would still give enough lighting for safety concerns of walking! Turn of the MASSIVE castle lighting for an hour...think of the savings there!

Bairstow

Heard of it before, just didn't think it was observed here in the US. But it really wouldn't hurt Disney Parks to observe it 'somehow'...maybe dim/turn off the popcorn lighting on the buildings, or some other lighting that would still give enough lighting for safety concerns of walking! Turn of the MASSIVE castle lighting for an hour...think of the savings there!

Nah, half-measures are no good. Just turn everything completely off at the breaker.
All the people on Mission:Space will have a fun story to tell their grandkids.

Last edited:

FettFan

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Yeah it's a big hippie "holier-than-thou" movement in order to give the appearance that they care about energy consumption, when in reality shutting off your lights for an hour doesn't do jack squat.

"OH YEAH?" they say. "Well, my EARTH HOUR is helping bring awareness to climate change!"

To which I say..."I planted a tree in my backyard today that will actually convert CO2 into energy as long as its alive. So sod off!"

DManRightHere

Personally I would see it bad business if Disney shut off some lights in the parks in recognition. It might be fun to encourage guests to shut off the lights in the resorts...

If Disney shut off some lights in the parks, can't you already hear the guests complaining their trip was "ruined"?

Daniel Johnson

Yeah it's a big hippie "holier-than-thou" movement in order to give the appearance that they care about energy consumption, when in reality shutting off your lights for an hour doesn't do jack squat.

"OH YEAH?" they say. "Well, my EARTH HOUR is helping bring awareness to climate change!"

To which I say..."I planted a tree in my backyard today that will actually convert CO2 into energy as long as its alive. So sod off!"
I know kids who do this once a week...you know what they don't turn off? Their hydroponic grow lights.

JIMINYCR

Next time someone grumbles about the lighting in Dinosaur or any other ride, we can say its Disney doing it's part contributing to Earth hour.

EpcoTim

Earth hour at Disney?

I'm pretty sure that consists of Cast Members politely asking guests not to chuck loaded diapers into the various waterways on property, right before they go ahead and do it anyway.

Pocahontas

Not sure how they'd function if they chose to observe Earth Hour, lol..
They do a ton of environmentally friendly yet practical things that are still convenient to their guests.

Goofyernmost

I didn't even know that was a thing.
I posted this on another board, but, you might just as well know my feelings about it too.

"Never heard of it before, but, if I had I would have chuckled and gone on my way.

Seriously, most of those that observed it turned down their lights for 60 minutes or shut them off completely, jumped into their BMW Diesel and drove around for an hour. It's just another useless way for people to feel like they are doing something good when in reality it doesn't amount to a fart in a hurricane.

We have a large footprint, but, we are a small part of the world. If no one else does anything, it means nothing except as a self image improver."

The time of day and the day of the week also speaks volumes. We are talking about times when most of the power usage is cut down anyway (evening and weekend). To be effective even slightly it has to happen when the vast majority of our consumption is happening. Mid-day, Monday through Friday. A few light bulbs are not the massive source of power usage. Industry is, but, if we feel good about ourselves for doing it, far be it from me to stand in the way. Couldn't hurt, I guess!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom