Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

Animaniac93-98

I recently saw @marni1971 's video on the Backlot Tour and it's a great look at how elaborate this ride used to be. What other Disney attraction gave you a bathroom and lunch break?

Kind of amazing to see so many celebrity cameos too. Siskel and Ebert, Geroge Lucas, Mel Gibson and Pee Wee Herman (what!?), Bette Middler etc

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It was obviously costing them more money to keep it going and maintaining it, than to just close it and leave it to rot. Seems a shame for Catastrophe Canyon just to sit there. They could have at least made a mini attraction out of that and the queue warehouses surely? I suppose it's the cost of the fuel for the trucks, the tanks, the explosions, the water (I know it's recycled but still). Anyway, didn't they haul the trucks away a few weeks ago?
Let's hope we don't have River Country 2.0 on our hands!

We indeed have RIver Country 2.0, Perhaps something there by 2022-2025 or so..., Gate was not affected so obviously closing this ride was a win for TWDC.

The Duck

I recently saw @marni1971 's video on the Backlot Tour and it's a great look at how elaborate this ride used to be. What other Disney attraction gave you a bathroom and lunch break?

Kind of amazing to see so many celebrity cameos too. Siskel and Ebert, Geroge Lucas, Mel Gibson and Pee Wee Herman (what!?), Bette Middler etc
I remember when the Pee Wee Herman/Mel Gibson video segment was removed. It was shortly after Pee Wee had his little....... "scandal" :jawdrop:.

space42

It was obviously costing them more money to keep it going and maintaining it, than to just close it and leave it to rot. Seems a shame for Catastrophe Canyon just to sit there. They could have at least made a mini attraction out of that and the queue warehouses surely? I suppose it's the cost of the fuel for the trucks, the tanks, the explosions, the water (I know it's recycled but still). Anyway, didn't they haul the trucks away a few weeks ago?
Let's hope we don't have River Country 2.0 on our hands!

Because they are clearly loosing money.

LeRaposa

According to multiple sources, Disney has not renewed the license for Tarzan and can not use him for promotion or merchandise.

IF Tarzan were to be used however, he would be a much better fit for Animal Kingdom which would be my other most-wanted addition – a "fantasyland" type of area at AK that would include inexpensive dark rides based on Jungle Book, The Lion King, Up and possibly one that intertwines the stories of the dog/cat movies (like 101 Dalmatians, Lady and The Tramp and The Aristocats).

What you have said is partially true. Disney's licensed the name Tarzan, not the character. The name Tarzan is unfortunately still trademarked (not copyrighted). The character however is not and neither are several of the books. In 2020 however Disney will be able to do whatever they want with that name as the trademarks and (remaining copyrights) on all of Edgar Rice Burrough's work will expire. Unfortunately there is a legal loophole in this country where you can trademark something that's in the public domain. There's been a similar situation with Zorro.

Disney has to play ball with ERB's estate or face a nasty lawsuit (like what happened with the comic publisher Dynamite Entertainment). A legal battle between the two would certainly be interesting. Disney has a noted hatred of the public domain. I'm not surprised Disney didn't renew the license. ERB's estate probably wants a fortune and Disney probably feels it's better off to wait five years for the trademark to expire.

Goofyernmost

I remember all of that... The Robin Williams/Walter Cronkite film was a highlight. I was disappointed that there wasn't footage of the sound stage part of the walking tour, but, I guess they didn't allow filming up there. Once again... great job Martin!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember all of that... The Robin Williams/Walter Cronkite film was a highlight. I was disappointed that there wasn't footage of the sound stage part of the walking tour, but, I guess they didn't allow filming up there.
Thank you. I did get some stage footage in part one. Not an awful lot but there's a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom