Going out on a limb...

blreinsel

Original Poster
I feel quite sure that there are a million posts like this one, but I'm going to post it anyway. :) I'm becoming a Disney veteran, so I think that it's time for me to start branching out and trying new foods while on property. My next trip is June 2015, and am looking for suggestions from my fellow Disney lovers!

A little info about the places I'll be during my trip...

Breakfast @ Crystal Palace
Dinner @ Be Our Guest
Dinner @ 1900 Park Fare

We are staying at All Star Music.. we'll be at Magic Kingdom for 3 days, Hollywood Studios for 1 day, and Epcot for 1 day.

And now some info about my palette.. I don't like any kind of seafood and I don't like bananas. I'm not a huge vegetable eater either.. I like the basics (carrots, broccoli, etc.) but don't venture very much from that. I'm a very picky eater, hence why I have always chosen "safe" dishes up to this point. So I'm hoping that all of you can challenge me to try lots of new things this trip! Dessert and snack suggestions are also welcome. ;)

R. Mexico

I feel quite sure that there are a million posts like this one, but I'm going to post it anyway. :) I'm becoming a Disney veteran, so I think that it's time for me to start branching out and trying new foods while on property. My next trip is June 2015, and am looking for suggestions from my fellow Disney lovers!

Dinner @ Be Our Guest
Dinner @ 1900 Park Fare

We are staying at All Star Music.. we'll be at Magic Kingdom for 3 days, Hollywood Studios for 1 day, and Epcot for 1 day.

And now some info about my palette.. I don't like any kind of seafood and I don't like bananas. I'm not a huge vegetable eater either.. I like the basics (carrots, broccoli, etc.) but don't venture very much from that. I'm a very picky eater, hence why I have always chosen "safe" dishes up to this point. So I'm hoping that all of you can challenge me to try lots of new things this trip! Dessert and snack suggestions are also welcome. ;)
No animal kingdom?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We have had breakfast at Crystal Palace many times and the food has always been excellent. It has all the basics like eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. plus a custom omelet station. Breakfast potatoes are very good!
We have also had dinner at Be Our Guest multiple times, and also always excellent food. For Appetizers, try the French Onion Soup or the Potato Leek Soup. Both awesome! At different times we have had the Grilled Strip Steak, Pork Rack Chop, and the Chicken Breast. All were excellent for us. We've tried pretty much all of the desserts, and all have been very good to excellent. Some have said the chocolate spongecake with the grey stuff was dry, but we've had it a few times, and it has not been for us. YMMV.
We have not eaten at 1900 Park Fare as of yet, but will at some point in the future. Good eating!

TXDisney

You'll love CP and BOG. 2 of our must dos. I've never tried 1900 Park, so I can't help you there. Timing is big with CP and BOG. I like to do CP before the park opens. It's pretty awesome to see the park without thousands of people in it. And BOG I like to do where we will leave just like 30min before Wishes.

blreinsel

Original Poster
No animal kingdom?

Not this trip.. We've visited AK the last two trips and decided we would skip it this time. We'll definitely be returning to experience the Avatar editions in the future.

We have had breakfast at Crystal Palace many times and the food has always been excellent. It has all the basics like eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. plus a custom omelet station. Breakfast potatoes are very good!
We have also had dinner at Be Our Guest multiple times, and also always excellent food. For Appetizers, try the French Onion Soup or the Potato Leek Soup. Both awesome! At different times we have had the Grilled Strip Steak, Pork Rack Chop, and the Chicken Breast. All were excellent for us. We've tried pretty much all of the desserts, and all have been very good to excellent. Some have said the chocolate spongecake with the grey stuff was dry, but we've had it a few times, and it has not been for us. YMMV.
We have not eaten at 1900 Park Fare as of yet, but will at some point in the future. Good eating!

Thank you for all of your suggestions! We ate breakfast at Chef Mickey's last trip, and I assume the Crystal Palace selection will be very similar. I ate lunch at Be Our Guest last year and it was delicious. I tried both the Master's Cupcake and the Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcake - I would be content with a full meal of desserts after trying them! My friend loves French Onion Soup, so I will be sure to pass that one along to her. The Chicken Breast sounds yummy. :)

You'll love CP and BOG. 2 of our must dos. I've never tried 1900 Park, so I can't help you there. Timing is big with CP and BOG. I like to do CP before the park opens. It's pretty awesome to see the park without thousands of people in it. And BOG I like to do where we will leave just like 30min before Wishes.

I've had lunch at BOG, so am really anxious to try dinner - especially because of the Beast meet and greet! Our CP reservation is at 8am.. I'm so excited to be in the park without a ton of people. I believe our BOG reservation is around 5pm?

MermaidJuli

Trying new foods can be such fun. :)

For the days you don't already have ADRs...

In Epcot:
-Via Napoli in Italy has really amazing pizzas.

-I'm not sure what your palette's choice is on Mexican, but I do know some picky eaters who are fine with Mexican or at least tacos, if nothing else. If you do like Mexican food, San Angel Inn inside the pyramid in Mexico is such a cool place to eat with great themeing. La Hacienda de San Angel is also a great table service, and if you want something quicker/easier the tacos and nachos at La Cantina de San Angel are a great quick service option. The queso and chips at La Cava makes for a delicious snack (especially if you're also having a delicious margarita here)!

-In France, the crepes at the crepe stand are a delicious dessert or sweet snack! And La Halles in France has some easy options, like a ham sandwich or a turkey BLT, with a slight french influence. And they have lots of wonderful desserts and pastries to choose from.

-In Morocco, the Tangierine Cafe has a mediterranean chicken wrap that would be something new without being too wild. It is chicken with a pita wrap, it comes with onions, lettuce and tomatoes which you can choose to eat or not eat, and it also comes with hummus (which is a popular dip - kind of like a bean dip - that you can get in most stores these days) and taziki sauce (which is a sauce that I could honestly smother on anything - I was so excited the first time I had this at a greek place!). If you were feeling really adventurous, you could try the mediterranean lamb wrap, which comes the same way but you would get to try lamb, which to me looks like roast beef and is incredibly flavorful!

-In China, a pretty easy snack is an order of Pork and Vegetable Egg Rolls from the Joy of Tea stand. You can also order them inside the Lotus Blossom Cafe, but the drink stand is a quick and easy place to order from. If you haven't had egg rolls before, they are wrapped in a very thin, crispy outside and fried to deliciousness. They're a pretty easy, pretty enjoyable snack.

In DHS...
-If you like home cooking, you may like Prime Time Cafe. They have things like meatloaf, pot roast, fried chicken.

-Min & Bill's Dockside Diner has some fun snack/lunch options right now with their Barbecue Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese and their Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese.

-You might also like Mama Melrose's for Italian food. It is pretty good food without being too over the top on unfamiliar flavors.

-My favorite restaurant in DHS by far is the Hollywood Brown Derby. The menu descriptions might be a little overwhelming if you're a picky eater, but the food is very good.

-You are also in short walking distance to the Boardwalk area from DHS, and two restaurants there that I really enjoy (both at Yacht Club Resort) are the Yachtsman Steakhouse and the Captain's Grille. Might be worth checking out.

For snacks at MK...
-You should definitely try a Dole Whip from Aloha Isle! It's a Disney iconic treat.

-Sleepy Hollow has some awesome waffles and waffle sandwiches!

-Golden Oak Outpost is only open on busier days, but when they are open they have some great waffle fries topped with things like pulled pork or tex-mex toppings.

Good luck and have lots of fun! :)

materbuddy

I think that CP breakfast is one of the best breakfasts on property. I especially love the puffed french toast.
Dinner at BOG has been good the last 2 times we had it. Lunch there is not very good at all though.
Only had dinner at 1900 once. It was good. It is one of my sister in law and nephew's favorite character meals.

blreinsel

Original Poster
Trying new foods can be such fun. :)

For the days you don't already have ADRs...

In Epcot:
-Via Napoli in Italy has really amazing pizzas.

-I'm not sure what your palette's choice is on Mexican, but I do know some picky eaters who are fine with Mexican or at least tacos, if nothing else. If you do like Mexican food, San Angel Inn inside the pyramid in Mexico is such a cool place to eat with great themeing. La Hacienda de San Angel is also a great table service, and if you want something quicker/easier the tacos and nachos at La Cantina de San Angel are a great quick service option. The queso and chips at La Cava makes for a delicious snack (especially if you're also having a delicious margarita here)!

-In France, the crepes at the crepe stand are a delicious dessert or sweet snack! And La Halles in France has some easy options, like a ham sandwich or a turkey BLT, with a slight french influence. And they have lots of wonderful desserts and pastries to choose from.

-In Morocco, the Tangierine Cafe has a mediterranean chicken wrap that would be something new without being too wild. It is chicken with a pita wrap, it comes with onions, lettuce and tomatoes which you can choose to eat or not eat, and it also comes with hummus (which is a popular dip - kind of like a bean dip - that you can get in most stores these days) and taziki sauce (which is a sauce that I could honestly smother on anything - I was so excited the first time I had this at a greek place!). If you were feeling really adventurous, you could try the mediterranean lamb wrap, which comes the same way but you would get to try lamb, which to me looks like roast beef and is incredibly flavorful!

-In China, a pretty easy snack is an order of Pork and Vegetable Egg Rolls from the Joy of Tea stand. You can also order them inside the Lotus Blossom Cafe, but the drink stand is a quick and easy place to order from. If you haven't had egg rolls before, they are wrapped in a very thin, crispy outside and fried to deliciousness. They're a pretty easy, pretty enjoyable snack.

In DHS...
-If you like home cooking, you may like Prime Time Cafe. They have things like meatloaf, pot roast, fried chicken.

-Min & Bill's Dockside Diner has some fun snack/lunch options right now with their Barbecue Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese and their Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese.

-You might also like Mama Melrose's for Italian food. It is pretty good food without being too over the top on unfamiliar flavors.

-My favorite restaurant in DHS by far is the Hollywood Brown Derby. The menu descriptions might be a little overwhelming if you're a picky eater, but the food is very good.

-You are also in short walking distance to the Boardwalk area from DHS, and two restaurants there that I really enjoy (both at Yacht Club Resort) are the Yachtsman Steakhouse and the Captain's Grille. Might be worth checking out.

For snacks at MK...
-You should definitely try a Dole Whip from Aloha Isle! It's a Disney iconic treat.

-Sleepy Hollow has some awesome waffles and waffle sandwiches!

-Golden Oak Outpost is only open on busier days, but when they are open they have some great waffle fries topped with things like pulled pork or tex-mex toppings.

Good luck and have lots of fun! :)

Wow, thank you soooo much for all of these suggestions!! You mentioned a ton of things that I would actually consider trying.. and now I'm hungry. :rolleyes: I've been going back and forth about getting a reservation at Prime Time.. it sounds like a blast to eat there! It's right up our alley. So that's a definite possibility. I get a Dole Whip on every trip! You can't consider yourself a Disney freak if you've never experienced one. ;) Sleepy Hollow's waffles are to die for!! Ugh, this trip cannot come fast enough!

Thank you again for all of your tips! I feel certain that I'll try at least a few of the things you mentioned. :)

I think that CP breakfast is one of the best breakfasts on property. I especially love the puffed french toast.
Dinner at BOG has been good the last 2 times we had it. Lunch there is not very good at all though.
Only had dinner at 1900 once. It was good. It is one of my sister in law and nephew's favorite character meals.

The French toast sounds delicious.. I'll definitely be trying some! My lunch at BOG was quite good when I ate there. I've heard that it's very hit or miss at all meals there. Hopefully we have a good experience!

My friend absolutely loves Cinderella, which is the reason we're trying 1900 Park Fare. We're pretty excited. :)

Thanks for your input!!

R. Mexico

Not this trip.. We've visited AK the last two trips and decided we would skip it this time. We'll definitely be returning to experience the Avatar editions in the future.

Gotcha. I love AK for a couple of reasons. 1) The rides and shows along with the animals and 2) we make that our shorter day and tend to drive to a resort restaurant then rest and relax at the pool:)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The fried chicken at 50s Prime Time is the bomb! And if you want something simple and All American, do not miss getting a hot dog at Casey's in the Magic Kingdom. I prefer the simple dog, but my DD says the chili dog is amazing.

Must confess I had my first Dole Whip during our trip last week. Don't know why I waited all these years before trying one...guess I was afraid it would be too sweet. But the combo twist float - both vanilla and pineapple ice cream - was, well, there are no words in the English language to describe it..... :happy:

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

Dinner @ Be Our Guest
Dinner @ 1900 Park Fare

Hi! We should dine together because I am the same way! Not really picky but not adventurous and no seafood! :) I have had to branch out myself b/c we found ourselves having the "same" trip since we go every year. We have our standard must do's but now we add in new ones each time.

I actually preferred Be Our Guest for lunch then dinner. I get a little "steaked" out dining at WDW b/c I got to "safe" places. I found that the menus at the places we tend to go to have similar things - a specialty, a seafood, a beef, a chix, a veggie, etc. So I often ended up with the steak and potatoes. By the time we got to BOG for dinner (we had been to Rose and Crown and no more shepards pie on the dinner menu so I got steak and Le Chefs de France, where I always get the steak) I had steak and potatoes the two nights before. I didn't look at the menu before we went to BOG or I probably would have made different choices at the two previous restaurants. The food was very good at BOG, but I just didn't appreciate it/enjoy it as much as I could have. This is why I started looking at the menus so that I could get a feel for what they have and what I will eat so I don't get the same thing over and over again.

seahawk7

When you are in Epcot try out some of the snacks in the pavillions. Like a Kakigori in Japan, a dessert in France, a tea in China, a yummy pretzel or caramel popcorn in Germany, and a churro in Mexico.

jaklgreen

Ok, here is my point of view. I don't know your situation but for me, I am in my midlife, and back then most Moms(I am a mom and do not want to offend but this is how it was) were not the best of cooks. They were told that you had to cook everything to oblivion in order to kill any harmful bacteria. So all of our vegis were boiled to nothing and the meats were all charred. I did not like vegis or seafood either. BUT, if I had continued on with that way of thinking and stuck in my rut saying I didn't like something and did not eat it again, I would have missed out on all of the amazing food out there. Vegis that are prepared correctly taste nothing like the ones you would normally eat at home. I live in the Midwest and seafood here is horrible, but when I go to the coast and eat it fresh it is a totally different experience. So what I do with myself and my kids is when we go to WDW we eat at places we do not have here like Marrakesh and Boma(my all time favorite place) and we try everything! You really do not know what you like if you have not tried it prepared in different ways then what you have had in the past. So the best advice I can give you as a MOM is try everything. As much as we love our family and try to cook our best, we are not chefs.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Ok, here is my point of view. I don't know your situation but for me, I am in my midlife, and back then most Moms(I am a mom and do not want to offend but this is how it was) were not the best of cooks. They were told that you had to cook everything to oblivion in order to kill any harmful bacteria. So all of our vegis were boiled to nothing and the meats were all charred. I did not like vegis or seafood either. BUT, if I had continued on with that way of thinking and stuck in my rut saying I didn't like something and did not eat it again, I would have missed out on all of the amazing food out there. Vegis that are prepared correctly taste nothing like the ones you would normally eat at home. I live in the Midwest and seafood here is horrible, but when I go to the coast and eat it fresh it is a totally different experience. So what I do with myself and my kids is when we go to WDW we eat at places we do not have here like Marrakesh and Boma(my all time favorite place) and we try everything! You really do not know what you like if you have not tried it prepared in different ways then what you have had in the past. So the best advice I can give you as a MOM is try everything. As much as we love our family and try to cook our best, we are not chefs.
I totally agree. Love my mom but her version of veggies are boiled, bland and buttered. The woman can bake but cook...nope. So anything beyond the 3 b's for veggies or breakfast for dinner, I had to learn to appreciate on my own. And that's been hard but totally worth it. I still don't do seafood though :) hee hee

disneypearl

Via Napoli - Epcot
The pizza here is so good!

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater - DHS
Good basic variety with fun atmosphere. I usually get the burger.

Snacks? I don't think that you can go wrong with a stop at the Karamell-Kuche carmel shop in Germany. Everything is good there.

lilclerk

I actually preferred Be Our Guest for lunch then dinner. I get a little "steaked" out dining at WDW b/c I got to "safe" places.
Oh man, "steaked out" is the best way to put it! I am super picky, and steak always seems like the safest choice, haha. I also really preferred BOG at lunch over dinner.

Here are some of my favorite WDW meals:
50s Prime Time: Pot roast is oh so good, plus it's just fun. I also really like Sci-Fi for the burgers, and the awesome atmosphere.
Liberty Tree Tavern: I like the dinner meal, but lunch looks like it has some good options too! I know lunch here is a fave of many folks.
Via Napoli: I'm including a photo of our pizzas here, the Quattro Formaggi (4 cheese white pizza) with pepperoni added... omg.
The Plaza: decent sandwiches and burgers here! It's good for a light meal.

blreinsel

Original Poster
The fried chicken at 50s Prime Time is the bomb! And if you want something simple and All American, do not miss getting a hot dog at Casey's in the Magic Kingdom. I prefer the simple dog, but my DD says the chili dog is amazing.

Must confess I had my first Dole Whip during our trip last week. Don't know why I waited all these years before trying one...guess I was afraid it would be too sweet. But the combo twist float - both vanilla and pineapple ice cream - was, well, there are no words in the English language to describe it..... :happy:

I really want to try a hot dog from Casey's this trip! I love the atmosphere, and have heard nothing but positive reviews about the food. That's definitely on my list. :) I'm so happy that you finally tried a Dole Whip! You're exactly right.. there are truly no words to describe it!!

Hi! We should dine together because I am the same way! Not really picky but not adventurous and no seafood! :) I have had to branch out myself b/c we found ourselves having the "same" trip since we go every year. We have our standard must do's but now we add in new ones each time.

I actually preferred Be Our Guest for lunch then dinner. I get a little "steaked" out dining at WDW b/c I got to "safe" places. I found that the menus at the places we tend to go to have similar things - a specialty, a seafood, a beef, a chix, a veggie, etc. So I often ended up with the steak and potatoes. By the time we got to BOG for dinner (we had been to Rose and Crown and no more shepards pie on the dinner menu so I got steak and Le Chefs de France, where I always get the steak) I had steak and potatoes the two nights before. I didn't look at the menu before we went to BOG or I probably would have made different choices at the two previous restaurants. The food was very good at BOG, but I just didn't appreciate it/enjoy it as much as I could have. This is why I started looking at the menus so that I could get a feel for what they have and what I will eat so I don't get the same thing over and over again.

I generally only do one table service meal per trip, but this time we're doing 3. So I'll have more opportunities than I've had thus far. However, I tend to get "burgered out," as that's my go-to choice from the usual quick service places we eat at. It's definitely time for something new. :)

When you are in Epcot try out some of the snacks in the pavillions. Like a Kakigori in Japan, a dessert in France, a tea in China, a yummy pretzel or caramel popcorn in Germany, and a churro in Mexico.

I'm definitely hoping to do more snacking in the WS this trip than I have on previous trips. Thanks for the tips! :)

You make a great point. My dad works in the food industry, so I have been very fortunate to try a lot of unique dishes over the years (not to mention he's a pretty amazing cook ;)). However, I am planning to really push myself to try things that we don't have at home. I know myself, so I can tell you that I won't be going "all out" so to speak. But I do plan to try some things that I generally would shy away from. The main goal for this trip is to try some of the WDW food staples that I hear everybody talking about and have not had the chance to sample myself. Thanks for the tips! :)

Via Napoli - Epcot
The pizza here is so good!

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater - DHS
Good basic variety with fun atmosphere. I usually get the burger.

Snacks? I don't think that you can go wrong with a stop at the Karamell-Kuche carmel shop in Germany. Everything is good there.

Thank you so much! I think that Sci-Fi looks awesome and would love to try it if for no other reason than the unique seating and atmosphere! :)

Oh man, "steaked out" is the best way to put it! I am super picky, and steak always seems like the safest choice, haha. I also really preferred BOG at lunch over dinner.

Here are some of my favorite WDW meals:
50s Prime Time: Pot roast is oh so good, plus it's just fun. I also really like Sci-Fi for the burgers, and the awesome atmosphere.
Liberty Tree Tavern: I like the dinner meal, but lunch looks like it has some good options too! I know lunch here is a fave of many folks.
Via Napoli: I'm including a photo of our pizzas here, the Quattro Formaggi (4 cheese white pizza) with pepperoni added... omg.
The Plaza: decent sandwiches and burgers here! It's good for a light meal.

Thank you so much! Your suggestions seems like things that I would consider different/new, but still safe when considering my palette. :)

Matt_Black

I'll second the notion that Be Our Guest at lunch is wonderful. It can be a bit crowded, but the ham sandwich there might be the best ham sandwich I've ever eaten. It's definitely in the top 5.

Can you get to DTD? Raglan Road is one of my favs. From the bread they bring, to the huge dish of calamari, to all of the amazing Irish entrees. Lunch is easy to dine, but dinner gets harder with the entertainment.

stevehousse

It's all about the pulled pork and coleslaw hot dog at Caseys!!! :hungry:

Also, not sure if you are on the dining plan or not, but at Caseys, you can get a huge bag of cotton candy as your "dessert" which is a great value!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom