Please Take Care of Your Rooms

gmajew

Premium Member
Original Poster
i just got back from a week at the VGF and I am disgusted by how much damage the rooms have in just over a year!

People need to respect the property and take care of it and keep them in clean repair for all of our future trips!

Walls were damaged wood baseboards were knocked and scuffed just unacceptable!

I had room service delivered and when the waiter walked into our unit he asked if we had just got here? I said no last night he said wow your room is so clean you should see how trashed people leave the rooms.

Their is no excuse for that behavior by us as owners and guest. We pay a lot to use these rooms take care of them!

DisneyJoe

I understand that people break things, but shouldn't it be Disney you are mad at for not fixing the things that are broken their hotel rooms...
But what if it was the guest just before you that broke it? or scraped and marked up the paint? Would you be understanding if they told you that you needed to wait a few hours for them to fix the room and touch up the paint? What if they couldn't move you to another room because the only available room had a maintenance team in it preparing it for a guest? especially at this high occupancy time of year.

As a former landlord of a single condo unit that was rented weekly in the summer, I can understand how difficult it must be for Disney to maintain their rooms with the many guests that they have, especially the ones that don't respect the property.

StarWarsGirl

I understand that people break things, but shouldn't it be Disney you are mad at for not fixing the things that are broken their hotel rooms...
Some stuff Disney can't do much about.

For instance, the bathrooms in the studios at BLT have a sliding door with a lock that pulls out. People have jammed the door open when the lock is in place, leaving a dent in the wall and the lock useless. Not much Disney can do about it.

I agree with the OP; show some respect and don't damage the room. My thought is that if you wouldn't do something while staying with friends, you shouldn't do it at a hotel either

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Some stuff Disney can't do much about.

For instance, the bathrooms in the studios at BLT have a sliding door with a lock that pulls out. People have jammed the door open when the lock is in place, leaving a dent in the wall and the lock useless. Not much Disney can do about it.

I agree with the OP; show some respect and don't damage the room. My thought is that if you wouldn't do something while staying with friends, you shouldn't do it at a hotel either
Amazing that other hotels seem to cope with regular maintenance issues.

The prevailing attitude, imho, is the same one they have with many of the rides. Let it rot, barely keeping it up, until you get a massive refurb a few years later. Rinse and repeat.

For example, there was a k.nob missing on one of my drawers at POFQ that went unfixed throughout my entire 18 day stay EVEN THOUGH I reported it to the front desk on day one.

I grant there are some things that are more difficult to repair/replace, but at the premium rate Disney charges, it shouldn't be a "shrug...bad apple guests...nothing we could/should do about it" reaction on their part.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sure. I have never seen these types of issues at other 3 and 4 diamond properties outside disney. :rolleyes:

Yes. This is sarcasm.
Hotels you paid 200+ a night for? I stayed in a bunch of Marriots last year and never ran into a room that had any significant issues, even the older rooms (like the Airport Marriot in Knoxville, which has older rooms). I'm not talking about slight wear and tear on the furniture (at those places or at Disney), and neither is the OP. :p

Tom

Beta Return
But what if it was the guest just before you that broke it? or scraped and marked up the paint? Would you be understanding if they told you that you needed to wait a few hours for them to fix the room and touch up the paint? What if they couldn't move you to another room because the only available room had a maintenance team in it preparing it for a guest? especially at this high occupancy time of year.

As a former landlord of a single condo unit that was rented weekly in the summer, I can understand how difficult it must be for Disney to maintain their rooms with the many guests that they have, especially the ones that don't respect the property.

I agree with this. While Disney DOES need to build maintenance time into the room rotations (taking a few out of service all the time to repair things), they can't address everything all the time.

And yes, housekeepers SHOULD take notice of things that are obvious while they're cleaning, and notify maintenance. But I'm sure they don't.

We've stayed in rooms before, mostly DVC, where something was broken or damaged....but they were very often things that Disney wouldn't know about unless a guest told someone during or after their stay.

StarWarsGirl

Amazing that other hotels seem to cope with regular maintenance issues.

The prevailing attitude, imho, is the same one they have with many of the rides. Let it rot, barely keeping it up, until you get a massive refurb a few years later. Rinse and repeat.

For example, there was a **** missing on one of my drawers at POFQ that went unfixed throughout my entire 18 day stay EVEN THOUGH I reported it to the front desk on day one.

I grant there are some things that are more difficult to repair/replace, but at the premium rate Disney charges, it shouldn't be a "shrug...bad apple guests...nothing we could/should do about it" reaction on their part.
Every time I call housekeeping/maintenance about something being broken, they come in and fix it within a few hours. Sometimes within a few minutes. I don't call/go to the front desk; always call housekeeping/maintenance. I've never reported something and not had it fixed during my trip.

That did seem to be the attitude over at BCV for many years, but it seems that every times we stay at BWV, Hiton Head, etc., they are performing some kind of maintenance, especially during low season. And the in the OP's case, the resort hasn't even been open a year, so they probably have not worked in a floor-by-floor refurb like they do at other hotels.

And yes, this kind of thing happens at other hotels. Personally, I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian almost three years ago, and there were broken things in that room. The sofa bed was less comfortable and much older than the ones in the DVC units. On our second night, the air conditioner began leaking and I had to call maintenance. And this was $200+ a night, yes.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Hotels you paid 200+ a night for? I stayed in a bunch of Marriots last year and never ran into a room that had any significant issues, even the older rooms (like the Airport Marriot in Knoxville, which has older rooms). I'm not talking about slight wear and tear on the furniture (at those places or at Disney), and neither is the OP. :p

Then you are the luckiest traveler on the planet. These issues exist at Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt. They even exist at Waldorf Astoria, JW Marriott, and Ritz Carlton. Something that properties fight against all the time. But no room is ever 100% perfection.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Then you are the luckiest traveler on the planet. These issues exist at Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt. They even exist at Waldorf Astoria, JW Marriott, and Ritz Carlton. Something that properties fight against all the time. But no room is ever 100% perfection.
And, rarely are rooms quite the level you'll find in the Value or Moderates either. Not at the rack rates they charge for them.

I lived out of hotels 9 - 10 months out of the year from 2002 until 2007, including a 6 month stint at the Brooklyn Marriot where I had a group of 20 rooms I rented. I'm not unaware of what constitutes a decent room. And, I'm rather forgiving. But, it's still no excuse. Just like it's no excuse to have roaches lay around and unbussed tables all day (yes, I'm looking at you POFQ Food Court).

I think @Tom hit the issue on the head, however. The disconnect between Mousekeeping and Maintenance is the core issue. It is much easier for a smaller hotel to be inspected regularly by local management with an eye, a luxury Disney doesn't have. But, I also note, an issue the Cruise Line doesn't seem to have at all. That could be because the Stewards on DCL are far more attentive and better trained (and managed and held accountable) than the "mousekeepers" at WDW.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And they clean your room about 1000 times a day. :p Which I love even though I am not that messy.
Well, twice a day. But, yeah. Something I didn't mind one bit! Some of that is for hygiene, as it's a cruise ship and they are uber sensitive to that, but...

And, at least in my limited experience, they paid attention to things. For example, my steward noted that I liked to have ice every evening (I didn't mention it, he noted it on his own), so he'd make sure I'd have a fresh bucket of ice every day with evening turn down. Not to mention the fresh towels twice a day! I'd love to see WDW adopt that concept, and I certainly would shell out tip (or even pay more like you do on the Cruise Line) for it. It completely changes the experience.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Well, twice a day. But, yeah. Something I didn't mind one bit! Some of that is for hygiene, as it's a cruise ship and they are uber sensitive to that, but...

And, at least in my limited experience, they paid attention to things. For example, my steward noted that I liked to have ice every evening (I didn't mention it, he noted it on his own), so he'd make sure I'd have a fresh bucket of ice every day with evening turn down. Not to mention the fresh towels twice a day! I'd love to see WDW adopt that concept, and I certainly would shell out tip (or even pay more like you do on the Cruise Line) for it. It completely changes the experience.

Indeed. The overall experience on DCL is...:jawdrop:

Oh and the next time you start living in hotels again, ditch Marriott and go Hilton. ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And they clean your room about 1000 times a day. :p Which I love even though I am not that messy.
My Steward used to chide me for "pre-cleaning" the room (old habit...I combine all the trash to one can, and wrap up all the towels/washclothes that are used into a large towel so it's an easy bundle for housekeeping, etc...)

Something you'd never see at Mousekeeping, where the attitude is more standard "out of sight, out of mind" maid service. It operates within industry standards, without a doubt. But, not what I would call "Disney" standards.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Indeed. The overall experience on DCL is...:jawdrop:

Oh and the next time you start living in hotels again, ditch Marriott and go Hilton. ;)
Marriott and Hilton were my two common stays. Every now and then a Best Western, an Extended Stay America or AmeriSuites, or something like that. Marriott has improved a lot the past few years, especially their Garden Inn line (I love the lobby restaurant/bar they've added). But, at the time, my HHonors and Marriott Rewards point values were insane (another reason I stayed with those two most of the time, I'd get "perks" and "room upgrades" just due to my rewards level. I traveled for work (opening restaurants around the country), hence why I lived out of hotels. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom